Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal place to live in Dublin.

Options
  • 22-08-2008 6:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So, i'll be looking for a place to live at the end of September and I'm looking for recommendations....

Things I'm looking for (in a perfect world)...

Close proximity to (ideally walking distance)...

Public transport (preferably the Luas due to my hatred of dublin bus)
    Gym
    Supermarket
    Cinema

I'll be sharing and will be looking for a nice area, anywhere in Dublin is fine although the closer to the city centre the better.

Where dya think?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

dundrum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Is there a gym in Dundrum?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Dun Laoghaire has it all!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ranelagh. Dublin's new bohemia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Gridlock wrote: »
    ...and even more;)...like sea front...just no Luas but Dart isn't that bad either...Takes about 25 minutes to city

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Public transport Dart in Killester and Clontarf Rd in Fairview. There is no Dart station in Clontarf despite what many believe ;)
    Loads of bus services and the 130 is skanger free. The 27/42B are skanger central!! Cycle lanes into town if you cycle
    Gym Westwood in Fairview. Dollymount Strand and Fairview Park for a nice walk. St. Anne's Park in Raheny and Howth Hill are only a dart trip away
    Supermarket Killester, Artaine Castle and Dart to wherever
    Cinema Dart to Connolly and walk/luas to Cineworld Parnell St or the Savoy. Cinema near Tara St too afaik

Only 4km from city centre, sure you could walk it in 30 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Raheny has all Clontarf has and more at half the price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

lightening wrote: »
    Raheny has all Clontarf has and more at half the price!

. . .except it's full of northside scum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

Ballsbridge/Grand Canal Dock area. Its not as expensive as you'd expect, close to the Dart which is just as handy as the Luas in most ways, close to both the Jackie Stelly and the Sportsco gyms, cinema is just two stops away on the Dart if you like the Savoy, or you can just walk to the Luas line fairly quickly and get out to Dundrum Town Centre. There's a Eurospar or you're not far from the Tesco on Baggot Street, its a nice lively area with good pubs and the RDS not far away.

After that, I'd say Dundrum, but its not as convenient if you're up north of the river often.

I'm allergic to Dublin Bus too by the way, a common ailment I'd say!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

IanCurtis wrote: »

Is Clontarf northside too? :P

OP, try Cabra. Apart from LUAS, it has everything else.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Nah, you'd want to be going southside. ;)

• Ballsbridge/Grand Canal Dock area. Its not as expensive as you'd expect, close to the Dart which is just as handy as the Luas in most ways, close to both the Jackie Stelly and the Sportsco gyms, cinema is just two stops away on the Dart if you like the Savoy, or you can just walk to the Luas line fairly quickly and get out to Dundrum Town Centre. There's a Eurospar or you're not far from the Tesco on Baggot Street, its a nice lively area with good pubs and the RDS not far away.

I agree, it's a really handy place to live. The DART isn't as good as the Luas, as it's much less frequent most of the time, but you can walk to the city centre in 10-15 mins. Ballsbridge village is only 10 mins away. Plenty of shops/pubs/takeaways. I can't think of a handier location. Only problem for me is the noise, but you get that everywhere in the city centre. I also liked living in Rathgar but it isn't as walkable from town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Where in Raheny will we find all this scum?.

OP, Raheny is a lovely place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

dundrum

Would agree with this, but the problem ith Dundrum is that, if you want to go anywhere else other than town via public trasport, you're screwed.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Roight...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Gridlock wrote: »

I agree, where I am, I'm 2 minutes from the pier, 2 minutes from Dunnes, Tesco, Marks and Spencers and any other well known shops you can think of, 2 minutes from Dun Laoghaire Station, 2 minutes from every major bank, 2 minutes from Sandycove station, 1 minute from a park, 2 minutes from the Ferry terminal, 2 minutes from Patton Flyer which goes direct to airport, 1 minute from the bus stop, 3 minutes to the cinema, 2 minutes to gym, 2 minutes to tennis courts etc etc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

:rolleyes:When can i move in:confused: I agree. Dun Laoighire is like a city itself too and i much prefer it to town. I wish i moved there instead i'm close to dundrum which is handy for luas but pretty boring it has to be said. If it didn't have the shopping centre it would be dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 scraggymess

Ranelagh and Portobello are both really nice but slightly expensive. Check out chapelizod if you want a cheap alternative, you can join the athletics club or rowing clubs instead of the gym. I know you said no buses but its a 10 min bus ride to town and <10mins to the nearest supermarket. Its very quiet too and right next to the park

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

jaffa20 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:When can i move in:confused: I agree. Dun Laoighire is like a city itself too and i much prefer it to town. I wish i moved there instead i'm close to dundrum which is handy for luas but pretty boring it has to be said. If it didn't have the shopping centre it would be dead.

I prefer to call it Kingstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

+1 for Dun Laoghaire.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jeveuxtevoir

I lived in a great apartment block last year in Ballsbridge, called Ballsbridge Gardens, right off Shelbourne road behind that Oval building, with Jackie Skelly (Gym) and Starbucks. 2 min walk to Ballsbridge centre and in the other direction Sandymount. Baggot Street was a 10 min walk with Tesco and Extravision etc, and if you keep walking for another 10, you're in town. Also the Lansdowne DART was on you're doorstep. Its basically the best location ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

dee8839 wrote: »
    Ballsbridge/Grand Canal Dock area. Its not as expensive as you'd expect, close to the Dart which is just as handy as the Luas in most ways,...

Are there any decently priced larged supermarkets close to Grand Canal Dock? There's a "Fresh" supermarket there, but it seems very pricy.

I know there are Tescos on Baggot St (about 20 mins walk), and a Tesco in Ringsend (is there a large Tesco, or just a Tesco Express?), but is there a Dunnes, SuperValu etc close by (i.e. within 15 mins walk)?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement