Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing IE6 compatability with Windows Virtual Machine

Options
  • 22-08-2008 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This is probably a dumb enough question but is it possible to test local files using Windows Virtual Machine?

If not is there any alternative solution for testing on IE6?

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

What you do is share out a folder where you rproject is.

So right click your project folder and select sharing and share it all.

Then, in your virtual machine go to My Network Places and it'll show up and you can open it from there. You could also run a webserver on your own machine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

was asked over on IWF today ...

http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/multiIE.html was my answer :)

edit: I should say ... no its not using windows virtual machine ...

Its simply installing a standalone IE5 .. 5.5 ... 6 .. on the machine in question and going from there... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

p wrote: »
    What you do is share out a folder where you rproject is.

So right click your project folder and select sharing and share it all.

Then, in your virtual machine go to My Network Places and it'll show up and you can open it from there. You could also run a webserver on your own machine too.
    Cheers for that.

Now that I've shared my project folder I seem to have access to numerous other shared folders and I presume they all have access to mine. :confused:

Well, shared folders are just shared on the local network, and you'll be required to type in a username and password usually, so people will be able to see your shared folders, but not access them. If it's really a problem use multipleIE like the above poster suggested, or else run a local webserver, that's not very difficult.

No, it's not that big of a problem. I've just decided to 'share' the project folder when testing only.

Thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

forbairt wrote: »
    was asked over on IWF today ...

http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/multiIE.html was my answer :)

edit: I should say ... no its not using windows virtual machine ...

Its simply installing a standalone IE5 .. 5.5 ... 6 .. on the machine in question and going from there... :)

Brilliant little app and a must as part of any web developer's toolkit.

Unfortunately doesn't work in Vista, though :( , so be sure to keep at least one computer/laptop downgraded to XP.....

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Unfortunately doesn't work in Vista, though :( , so be sure to keep at least one computer/laptop downgraded to XP.....

on a Mac with a Fusion VM for XP pro .. :)

Didn't know that about vista ... but I had assumed ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

forbairt wrote: »
    on a Mac with a Fusion VM for XP pro .. :)

Didn't know that about vista ... but I had assumed ..

Microsoft's little-known tagline : NEVER assume :D :P

There's no need. Microsoft provide a free image of XP with IE6, IE7 for testing purposes with Virtual PC.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/04/17/ie7-virtual-pc-image-and-ie6-virtual-pc-image-refresh.aspx

Microsoft's little-known tagline : NEVER assume :D :P

Sorry I should have said I assumed it wouldn't work :D
    I just don't know why people would move to vista so I assume xp :D
    p wrote: »
    There's no need. Microsoft provide a free image of XP with IE6, IE7 for testing purposes with Virtual PC.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/04/17/ie7-virtual-pc-image-and-ie6-virtual-pc-image-refresh.aspx

Wow ... thats cool to know :)

• Advertisement

The new image is said to expire in September but they seem to extend this date every few months. Is it expected to actually expire anytime soon?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The new image is said to expire in September but they seem to extend this date every few months. Is it expected to actually expire anytime soon?
    I'm not sure. I think they're still testing the waters with that whole project.

They've renewed it a good few times, and there's a massive push from the developer community for it, so I'd say they'll keep it for the near-term anyway.

Advertisement