Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

It's those crazy Americans again

• 22-08-2008 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

yahoo_georgia_question.jpg

I'm sure he's not the only one :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Prepare to board the Roflbus. It's Red Dawn!

I post regularly on an american forum, and when the news was reported, a few of them actually did get confused, even though the thread maker clearly stated it wasn't the state of Georgia...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

OMG i just peed a little laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭celticcutie

Well considering only 7% of Americans supposedly hold passports I'm not surprised! ;)

http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2003/01/31/how_many_america.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Someone knock some sense into that American bimbo =|

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Ed D.

It was a joke. Everybody in Georgia knows there's a Georgia in Russia. You'd have to be an idiot to think it wasn't a joke, but I guess getting a passport or getting pissed in Ibiza qualifies as erudition with some folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ed D. wrote: »
    It was a joke. Everybody in Georgia knows there's a Georgia in Russia. You'd have to be an idiot to think it wasn't a joke, but I guess getting a passport or getting pissed in Ibiza qualifies as erudition with some folk.

A couple of things;

First of all, there is no Georgia "in Russia". Georgia is an independent sovereign state. This is why there was outrage at Russia invading the country. You can't invade your own country. However it is a former state of the U.S.S.R.

There is a certain irony to your post.

Second of all, it wasn't a joke. The poster responded and then later removed the question, presumably out of embarrassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Ed D.

My mistake. Meant to say near Russia. I know it's an independent state - for the time being. I still doubt it wasn't a joke or a prank. If it wasn't, that's sad, but no sadder than the relish some seem to take in cheap sniping. She may have been drunk, retarded or, yes, just ignorant. She certainly seems illiterate (again, if genuine). But the banal, generalizing arrogance of the thread's title reveals a lot more than her barely comprehensible gibberish. Picking on a fool to flaunt one's sense of superiority isn't setting the bar very high. Some irony there too, don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ed D. wrote: »
    My mistake. Meant to say near Russia. I know it's an independent state - for the time being. I still doubt it wasn't a joke or a prank. If it wasn't, that's sad, but no sadder than the relish some seem to take in cheap sniping. She may have been drunk, retarded or, yes, just ignorant. She certainly seems illiterate (again, if genuine). But the banal, generalizing arrogance of the thread's title reveals a lot more than her barely comprehensible gibberish. Picking on a fool to flaunt one's sense of superiority isn't setting the bar very high. Some irony there too, don't you think?
    No.
    I just think it's funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I dont think it's a joke.
    There is very little emphasis on world maps and location of countries in American education systems. Also, apparently very few actually take on geography as a subject to start with.

Back in the Irag war times, some american guy was interviewed about what he thought of it, and he said he hoped france didnt invade Iraq first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement