Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with clutch! Help!

Options
  • 22-08-2008 7:32pm
    Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm having a bit of trouble with either the clutch or the gearbox in my car (I think). When I'm moving off, it's like something is getting stuck with the gears. My foot would be flat on the floor with the clutch, but I'm not able to get the car into first or second, the gearstick almost seems to be stuck. I'd be able to get into third (one of the times it happened today was at a busy roundabout and by some miracle I got started in third) and fourth no problem. Then a few minutes later, I'd get into first or second with no problems. Now I'm not sure if it's the clutch or the gearbox that's giving trouble, or both :( There's a good long travel on the clutch before it starts to engage, would that be a sign that it needs seeing to?

The car is a Rover45 Classic 1.4. It's 2004, the newer model. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong with it, and perhaps how much I'd be looking at spending to get it fixed? Any help would be much appreciated!!

Toots :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Could be low on hydraulic clutch fluid, have you checked it?

Look into this before getting into more serious causes.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Don't laugh.... how do I check that?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Usually the brake fluid and clutch fluid are shared so if it was low the low brake fluid warning lamp would (should) light up on the dash.

I'd say your clutch/pressure plate is knackered.

How many kms on the clock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

or it could be just something simple like the gear selector shaft ?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There's about 45k miles on the clock. No brake fluid light has come on at all :( I just did my oil/coolant/brake fluid checks on Monday and they were all fine. Topped up the coolant a little bit, but that's all. Would the brake or clutch fluid go low that fast?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Could be a gear selector cable is loose. I wouldn't think it's the clutch as this would affect all gears in tha same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Try selecting gears with the engine off and the car stationary, and not using the clutch. If it's going into and coming out of gears okay, you have a failing clutch or clutch cable/hydraulic line.

If it's still giving trouble while stationary, you have trouble with the linkages or the box itself.

The fact there is so much travel with the pedal would point to a clutch, but it could be a leaking slave cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

could be the clutch release bearing, making any strange noises?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I had similar trouble with my car ('98 Fiesta) in that it was very hard to get into first or second when cold (especially in the winter). Got the gearbox oil changed and it improved things a lot, but it can still be a bit dodgy. Nothing unusual with the clutch though...

Advertisement