Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help the helpless

Options
  • 22-08-2008 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    First off, Im quite useless with computers and such.
    I have eircom Broadband on my desktop and want to hook up my laptop through wireless. I have used the eircom disk etc and installed my modem. The wireless connects but I cant get online. My laptop has a wireless connector seperate to the modem that came from Eircom

Can someone please point me in the right direction

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Try

Start-> Run-> cmd
    Type ipconfig, what IP are you getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

As red menace says it would be good to know the IPCONFIG info BUT lets not run before we can walk? If everything is working as it should be how do you think you're going to get the wirless key to set up the wireless connection?

Connect by cable first and see if you can connect to the internet if not we need the IPCONFIG info to proceed. If you can connect to the interenet then let us know and we can then tell you how to connect by wireless.

Maybe the Eircom CD is good, but in 100's of connects I've set up I've never used one yet, perhaps I'm missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hungrykev

Fixed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Well on one hand I'm really glad for you on the other pissed off you didn't even attempt to tell us how you fixed it.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The default eircom setting is insecure. Anyone can use your WiFi. You need to go to the Modem /WiFi settings and change to WPA (PSK and AES if those are mentioned) and change key to a long random mix you write down first like K7gT65dwpcq87hd2Wx8az (but not that example). Then enter same on Laptop

• Advertisement
Advertisement