Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album of the Month Vol. 1: John Coltrane's A Love Supreme

• 22-08-2008 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Well as Buck65 suggested, we should have a nice little discussion thread to moan, praise, chat, inform, and rant about a specific monumental (or at least well known and dear to the Jazz/Blues forum bar regulars) recording for a few weeks.

Don't like the album chosen? Great, tell us why!
    If you liked this you might like?
    Know any funny background stories to the recording (there's always at least one with Jazz musicians :rolleyes:)?
    Ever performed any of this music yourself?
    Any musicians stand out in particular?

All educated rants/praises welcome, but any abuse/trolling/breach of normal forum rules will be frowned upon and the usual repurcussions will occur.

Right O.K so let's get down to business.

John Coltrane's A Love Supreme
    I decided to choose A Love Supreme because it was the first album mentioned in the "Recommend me a Jazz/Blues album thread" (by Rigsby), and figured it'd be a good place to start due to it's high standing in jazz music's catalogue.

To give a bit of background: the piece is a four-part suite, including the compositions Acknowledgement, Resolution, Pursuance, Psalm. It is, in a way, a concept album following Coltrane's path to finding spirituality after a very difficult time in his life - hence the piece titles. It was recorded in the christmas of 1964 in Rudy Van Gelder's studio in Hackensack NJ.

btw if any of the above details are wrong plz correct me :rolleyes:

It is, in my opinion, a masterpiece. From the opening fanfare to that mysterious last note on Psalm, there's something truly special about the recording. The quartet, consisting of a rhythm section of McCoy Tyner on piano, Jimmy Garrisson on double bass and Elvin Jones on drums, was at the height of their improvisational powers (and for me the synergy can be really be felt right at the end of Trane's solo on Pursuance, when Tyner takes over into an INCREDIBLE solo!)

Ok that's enough from me for the moment. So what do YOU guys think? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I think every superlative has been ( rightly ) applied to this album. Suffice to say it's a "must have" in any jazz collection worth it's salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Yep, I think Coltrane succeeded in creating an intensely spiritual record. There's an incredible atmosphere to it.

Also from a compositional perspective, it's very interesting. It's based on I think a Concert D pentatonic minor, and the melodies and ostinatos all come from a motif that is repeated very frequently throughout the album (basically a D-F, D-G if you play those notes you'll hear the bass ostinato at the beginning of Acknowledgement) It gives all the pieces a great unity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Probably Coltrane's finest hour , at times harsh moody and atmospheric. The opening blast of the album sets the tone. I bought the reissued CD with the whole album played live from Antibes (I think the only time it was played in it's entirity).
    A Great start for album of the month.
    I actually listen to Crescent and Giant Steps a bit more than this as I find this a little more challenging.
    Out of interest is it possible to listen to a track from the album and just say that's great and pick a new CD?
    I always listen to it whole I feel each tune bleeds into the next.
    Certainly if you liked this try Karma by Pharoah Sanders, similar and almost tribute like in places.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92T4DQqQApE

ps in future do we vote on albums or just u pick daddio?
    I have no problem either way i trust your judgement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Funny, I just listened to this album for a few days straight recently. It was one of the first jazz albums I bought, I loved it all those years ago and it still blows me away. The bass playing from Chambers is awesome, if you can focus your attention away from some of the best tenor playing on record.

One of my personal highlights is when they start chanting 'A Love Supreme' over and over towards the end of the opening piece! The way the album was constructed, in conceptual terms, adds another dimension to it. You can feel the spiritual energy and power of the music.

The whole album is stellar, but 'Resolution' always gets me. Such a powerful, great melody! And Elvin's playing!

The bass playing from Chambers is awesome, if you can focus your attention away from some of the best tenor playing on record.
    Jimmy Garrison is on bass :rolleyes: /pedant

But I agree, his playing is superb. He was never incredibly well known as a jazz bass player, just for being 1/4 of the John Coltrane quartet. I'd be interested to know what any bass players think of his extended solo at the end of pursuance?

And for that bit of jazz trivia, does anybody know the story behind the very last note of Psalm? If you listen carefully you can hear that there are two saxophones playing the final resolving note. First person with the correct answer gets a neat bourbon. :cool:

• Advertisement

Daddio wrote: »

And for that bit of jazz trivia, does anybody know the story behind the very last note of Psalm? If you listen carefully you can hear that there are two saxophones playing the final resolving note.

Not sure about the actual last note, but I think I remember reading that Coltrane wanted "Psalm" to represent the sleeve text (or something like that :p ) I think the other saxist was Archie Shepp.

Jimmy Garrison is on bass :rolleyes: /pedant

But I agree, his playing is superb. He was never incredibly well known as a jazz bass player, just for being 1/4 of the John Coltrane quartet. I'd be interested to know what any bass players think of his extended solo at the end of pursuance?

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭dasdog

The whole album is stellar, but 'Resolution' always gets me. Such a powerful, great melody! And Elvin's playing!

No matter what I am doing this song just stops me in my tracks and takes me away somewhere else. I had the melody stuck in my head for a couple of weeks at one stage. It is a wonderful album albeit it difficult to for me to comprehend at times. I'm listenting to Giant Steps more at the moment. 50 years old in 2009 I believe. Great idea for a thread.

dasdog wrote: »
    No matter what I am doing this song just stops me in my tracks and takes me away somewhere else. I had the melody stuck in my head for a couple of weeks at one stage. It is a wonderful album albeit it difficult to for me to comprehend at times. I'm listenting to Giant Steps more at the moment. 50 years old in 2009 I believe. Great idea for a thread.
    Giant steps is fantastic aswell, although it wouldn't be my favourite Trane album. Countdown is ridiculous though, 350 bpm! :eek:
    :o
    sorry :pac:
    Rigsby wrote:
    Not sure about the actual last note, but I think I remember reading that Coltrane wanted "Psalm" to represent the sleeve text (or something like that ) I think the other saxist was Archie Shepp.
    I think it was archie shepp alright. Although some violently dispute that it was actually Coltrane overdubbing with an alto played with a very wide vibrato. The things jazz biographers get hot under the collar about :rolleyes:

And yes, Psalm is a note-for-word reading of the poem Coltrane wrote, included in the liner notes (or inside the Impulse 2-disc edition case). It's very interesting to read along to his playing, you can really hear him playing the words, if you know what I mean. Also the phrase "Thank you God" is repeated as a minor third motif Eb, Eb, C numerous times throughout. Listen out for it next time you're playing Psalm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

While I've yet to delve very deep into the world of jazz, I've already bought A Love Supreme twice it's so good. I bought the vinyl repress Impulse! did a few years ago after seeing it in Road Records and remembering that it was supposed to be important. It blew me away. I bought the 2CD reissue with the bonus live and alternative takes there last year as I needed more. Truly a remarkable recording and the first (and so far only) jazz record I can play along to (nice easy bassline at the start, can't match the solo though).

• Advertisement

It really sticks out for me as a seminal jazz record. There's just something distinctive about it, not necessarily the awesome playing by the whole group, it just has this vibe.

It really sticks out for me as a seminal jazz record. There's just something distinctive about it, not necessarily the awesome playing by the whole group, it just has this vibe.
    I agree wholeheartedly. It's like when you go to see a really special gig, and everyone in the audience knows it. The stage is dark - the band aren't out yet. There is some whispering and quiet chatter, and when the band walk out there is a big hush and then perfect silence. That's when you get the feeling you're going to experience a feckin great gig, and I get a similar feeling when I play the opening notes of acknowledgement.

Speaking of great gigs:

And to think that people walked out of it! Idiots! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

John wrote: »
    , I've already bought A Love Supreme twice it's so good. I bought the vinyl repress Impulse!

Ha ha i'm pretty bad too have the CD and two copies of the vinyl!

I got one copy signed by the mighty McCoy Tyner when he played our jazz Festival a few years ago too (i was made up-superb gig btw)

240ylq1.jpg

As has been stressed, a seminal album, i can't recommend Ashley Kahn's amazing book on it highly enough (same guy did "Kind of Blue" justice too)

and as both of the above have said, it's all about the vibe!

av34vo.jpg

:eek:

I have a McCoy Tyner tshirt - not as cool tbh, but nice all the same :)

Have browsed through that book a few times, must pick it up actually.
    Does anyone know where any of the recording session photos can be found? There's some great ones of the quartet in RVG's studio. Are there many in that book stevieG?

:eek:

I have a McCoy Tyner tshirt - not as cool tbh, but nice all the same :)

Have browsed through that book a few times, must pick it up actually.
    Does anyone know where any of the recording session photos can be found? There's some great ones of the quartet in RVG's studio. Are there many in that book stevieG?

Loads of photos it's unreal!

I guarantee anyone posting in this thread will be well impressed by the book

StevieG wrote: »
    Loads of photos it's unreal!

I guarantee anyone posting in this thread will be well impressed by the book

The same author wrote another book about another jazz masterpiece ( I'm sure it'll be the next "album of the month" here :D ) "The Making of Kind of Blue".

Have n't read the Coltrane book, but have browsed through it.

I'll open a new thread soonish I think, I'll let all you great jazz/blues minds suggest the next one :cool:

I have a documentary on Coltrane actually, and it has a few brief clips of that Paris concert. I think I read also that he played the suite, partially at least, during one of his last sets. Its been a while since I read it, I got it from the local library, but while we're on the topic of critical writing on Coltrane check out Coltrane: His Life and Music. Great study of the technical aspect of his music, but an accurate and incredibly interesting view into the story behind the quiet genius foremost.

Rigsby wrote: »
    The same author wrote another book about another jazz masterpiece ( I'm sure it'll be the next "album of the month" here :D ) "The Making of Kind of Blue".

Have n't read the Coltrane book, but have browsed through it.

Yup i have the "Kind of Blue" book too, but have never read it cover to cover yet

It takes a similar approach and is very well put together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

Just like to say I bought this album 2 weeks ago in Tower in Wicklow St. and it is great. Thanks to this thread, I have learned something new. I find free jazz hard to listen to normally but this is very easy to digest (piano and bass keep a good groove going for much of it) and is indeed a classic in terms of its influence on a whole generation of musicians. I had never listened to it before and it is a great record.

Great, that's what these discussions are all about really. Glad you're enjoying it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

Ive always absolutely LOVED, Kind Of Blue, but A Love Supreme just leaves me totally cold.

As The CapellMeister says in "Amadeus" - "Too many notes..."

Or as Joey The Lips Says in The Commitments:

"Good solos have corners brother Rabbit, If you wanna w**k, use that thing in your hand not your sax."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

For me, sometimes albums like this are best listened to indirectly e.g. when reading a newspaper or over a meal. Sometimes if you listen directly (e.g. on a hifi in yer front room in serious listening mode), it is too much all at once. I listened to it in the kitchen when I bought it a few weeks ago with the family over a meal and it was great. Some of it has a nice groove and the huge sax solos are hypnotic in the background.

Ive always absolutely LOVED, Kind Of Blue, but A Love Supreme just leaves me totally cold.

As The CapellMeister says in "Amadeus" - "Too many notes..."

Or as Joey The Lips Says in The Commitments:

"Good solos have corners brother Rabbit, If you wanna w**k, use that thing in your hand not your sax."

This music, along with free jazz is like the audio version of one of those holograms. When you first look, it appears to be a meaningless mass of lines. If you keep looking, your eyes eventually adjust and a beautiful picture appears.

Keep on looking. ;)

Advertisement