Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs

Options
  • 22-08-2008 8:58pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place but we'll see.

How much would you expect to pay on customs for an order of about €60 from America including postage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Depends what your importing, different imports have different rates.

Item duty, plus 21% VAT on top of that, plus 21% VAT on the shipping cost, plus an admin fee.

The admin fee I would dispute as you never asked the importer to pay duty and VAT on your behalf.

As the total value is only 60 euro you may be lucky, a lot depends on the importer (shipping co).

Did you try a few searches? Lots of info on boards already.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its a watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The admin fee I would dispute as you never asked the importer to pay duty and VAT on your behalf.

No, but Customs and Excise did.

It's rare that you see Duty being applied, it's normally just VAT that they hit you for, and it's on the shipping too. At €60 it would be about €12.60, plus up to €15 for the processing fee.

It will depend on the courier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Bluetonic wrote: »

I would be inclined to agree with this..
    I am not saying its right but I would be inclined to pay them less the fee and let them do whatever they like about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

jor el wrote: »
    No, but Customs and Excise did.

It's rare that you see Duty being applied, it's normally just VAT that they hit you for, and it's on the shipping too. At €60 it would be about €12.60, plus up to €15 for the processing fee.

It will depend on the courier too.

Is that right? Is there a limit to what price you dont have to pay vat? For something that costs €30 with out postage they are gona charge a 100% fee on it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement