Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

pc/360 networking issue

• 22-08-2008 9:09pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I only got my 360 recently and have just started messing around with the networking aspect of it - got it playing with my laptop quite nicely with very little hassle.

There is one or two slight issues, though... firstly when I go into the Videos or Pictures section I have to navigate through all the folders on my computer - from Documents and Settings etc. until I get to My Documents... is there a way of telling the 360 to start at My Documents or better yet My Pictures for the Pictures section and My Videos for the Videos section?

It's odd because when I go into Music it just automatically lists all the compatible music on my laptop - I don't have to look through various folders etc.

The second issue - and it may be connected to the first - is that when I do find my way through the folders to the video or pictures section I can't seem to get them to work - the videos come up as incompatible even when they're .avi and .wmv formats and the pictures just don't load at all. There must be something going wrong here because videos that did work when I tried them first now don't. Music plays fine - it's just the other two categories!

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try the free TVersity for streaming the movies, should work ok ;)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Have you gotten all the updates for the xbox?
    because AVI support was only added recently so maybe your console dosent have the ability to play the files if it is straight out of a box...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

It turns out I just had some settings issues on my PC - was getting confused because it was playing the music but not the Videos or Pictures... once I specifically set them to be shared the job was done!

That said I'm still having a problem with some videos - 6 from a particular TV show to be precise... they start fine and then get jumpy and stop; I'm guessing it's a codec issue that I can solve easy enough.

I've asked this over on Computers & Hardware but it's a relevant topic here - does anyone have any experience with using a network-connected HDD to watch stuff on the 360 over the network? The plan is to put my media stuff on an external HDD that's connected to my router so that I don't need the PC on to watch stuff on my TV through the Xbox... the only problem I see it having is ensuring the stuff on the external drive is set to share... anyone tried something like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

flogen wrote: »
    The plan is to put my media stuff on an external HDD that's connected to my router so that I don't need the PC on to watch stuff on my TV through the Xbox..

from my experience i'm not sure this is possible as it's WMP 11 or media centre that's actually sharing the data to the 360 so you will need to have at least one networked PC on in the house

i got an NAS drive last week (from aldi of all places) and it works a treat. . .so handy for distributing media wirelessly through the house, the 360 is the only other wired connection to the router

Advertisement