Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Applications/Enterprise Computing modules

• 22-08-2008 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've been accepted into CA after a disastrous stint in the business school last year. Does ANYONE have any idea of the modules on each new computer course? It's a nightmare trying to get info. I've called registry and someone from the school of computing and am yet to get any closer to an answer on this. Registry didn't even seem to know that a course with the code DC120 existed. They kept referring me to the page on DC121 on the website which was of absolutely no use, especially as it still refers to the course splitting into CASE and CAIS in second year. I'd like to know what modules are unique to each course.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Are ya doin CA or Enterprising Computing??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I'm not 100% sure yet. I want to see what both courses offer first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 coffee_chucker

Have you tried contacting the marketing officer,Julie Ann Ennis? You can contact her directly at marketing(at)computing.dcu.ie and or call her at +353 (0) 1 700 5237.

Also, you could try contacting Stephen Blott, the head of the school or Joe Morris.

Staff contact details can be found at:

http://www.dcu.ie/info/staff.php3?query=computing_staff

I don't think head of school would usually be taking calls from prospective students... I might be around DCU Monday if ya want me to ask Julie-Ann for a prospectus for the new course, Lotta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 coffee_chucker

No harm in sending him an email, he might reply he might not, it doesn't hurt to send one.

EC prospective flyer is available at:

http://www.computing.dcu.ie/prospective/flyers/ECflyer.pdf

EC online prospectus is available at:

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=EC&mode=full&originating_school=40

CA modules taught last year

http://www.dcu.ie/registry/module_contents.php?function=4&programme=CA

• Advertisement

Dregin, that'd be great. I emailed her and she was meant to call me back yesterday but she didn't.

coffee_chucker none of those links answer my question unfortunately. I've gone through the DCU site so many times and I think they just haven't updated the details yet. I'd like to know which of the original CA modules will be offered on which course and what the optional ones are. The EC info gives a vague idea but I'd be interested in knowing what software and hardware modules are offered and also I'm curious to see if the two courses have the same maths modules.

May be easiest to do CA for the start anyway and see if I enjoy it then see if I'd rather EC as it seems to be easier to transfer from CA to EC than the other way round.

Cheers for the replies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Receive posted a pdf link in lobby of the module list for all 4 years. Poke him about it maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Attol wrote: »
    Does ANYONE have any idea of the modules on each new computer course?

The list is:

Module Semester Title
    CA103 1 Computer Systems
    MT103 1 Management and Business Game
    CA106 1 Web Design OR CA168 1 Digital World OR CA165 1 Programming 1
    MS121 1&2 IT Mathematics

CA169 2 Networks & Internet
    MG101 2 Introduction to Marketing
    CA170 2 Introduction to Operating Systems
    CA171 2 Web Programming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

BTW, the full 4 years currently looks like this, but it may well change over the next year or so.

Year 2
    Module Sem Title
    CA103 1 Computer Systems
    MT103 1 Management and Business Game
    CA106 1 Web Design OR CA168 Digital World OR CA165 Programming 1
    MS121 1&2 IT Mathematics
    CA169 2 Networks & Internet
    MG101 2 Introduction to Marketing
    CA170 2 Introduction to Operating Systems
    CA171 2 Web Programming
    Year 2
    Module Sem Title
    MT201 1 Production and Operations Management
    CA228 1 Software Specification
    CA229 1 Developing Internet Applications
    HR201 1 Introduction to HR Management
    CA227 1&2 Business Database Management
    CS231 2 Software Testing and Configuration Management
    CA243 2 Human-Computer Interaction
    CA244 2 IT Architecture
    CA246 2 Business Communication Skills
    CA249 2 Network Configuration and Management
    Year 3
    Module Sem Title
    CA328 1&2 IT Service Management
    CA329 1&2 INTRA
    Year 4
    Module Sem Title
    MT303 1 Business Strategy
    CA491 1 IT Law and Ethics
    CA492 1 Project Management and Procurement
    CA493 1 Mobile Systems
    CA494 1 Security Management
    AC302 2 Financial Statement Analysis
    CA495 2 Public and Private Enterprise Computing
    CA496 2 Team Project
    UM405 1&2 Uaneen Module (optional)

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Got the link off Receive too. And for anyone else wondering about this the CA first year currently looks like this

Year 1 of B.Sc. in Computer Applications

Computer Systems

Maths for Computing

Management/Business Game

Web Design

Programming 1

Networks & Internet

Introduction to Operating Systems

Programming 2

Years 3 and 4 of EC really appeal to me but I like the extra programming module in year 1 of CA...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Interested to see what MS121 is like, and who'll be teaching it...

(prays for anyone but clancy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Finch*

i can't believe programming 1 is an option

surely that should be compulsory?

Programming actually requires talent whereas wearing a suit and talking about synergistic enterprising solutions don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Programming actually requires talent whereas wearing a suit and talking about synergistic enterprising solutions don't.

heh :rolleyes:

Managers are talentless alright. So too are them consultants and sales people. Not to mention them blasted project managers and business analysts.

But it is surprising that programming is not compulsary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Progrsmming is defenetly a compulsory module in CA course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dan08

is physics a handy subject to hav done in the leavin if your startin off in CA ?? is there much physics involved in the course ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Diarmaid07

There's at least two optional physics modules, not sure how much it comes into the course's main modules itself

Graphics in 4th year touches on reflection and refraction of light. The first year physics modules are easy if you've done honours physics for the leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Diarmaid07

What are Electronics 1 & 2 like? I'm considering them, but want to know how indepth it'll go...

Will there be, say, PIC programming and utilization(sp?) or... well, what? =]

thanks,
    ~D

I wasn't a happy camper when I read the modules list...No need for me to have repeated programming...................Although, am happy that I did because it is sort of an essential part of computing...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭cognos

dan08 wrote: »
    is physics a handy subject to hav done in the leavin if your startin off in CA ?? is there much physics involved in the course ??

no physics involved in the course at all besides 1 elective 1st year module - unless you're building a physics engine for a 3rd/4th year project or something. By then the crappy physics teaching you get at LC will likely be long forgotten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Septico

If you have done physics in the leaving cert, you should do it in first year CA. it wont necessarily have anything to do with the course but i picked it as it gave me an easier time in first year :-).

You'll have enough awkward modules learning to program etc so picking a handy physics module each semester (provided youve done it before) definitely lightens the load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Septico wrote: »
    If you have done physics in the leaving cert, you should do it in first year CA. it wont necessarily have anything to do with the course but i picked it as it gave me an easier time in first year :-).
    This. :)

As for Electronics, well it used to be a tough enough module but you'd be better getting some opinions from someone who did it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Nanaki

Septico wrote: »

You'll have enough awkward modules learning to program etc so picking a handy physics module each semester (provided youve done it before) definitely lightens the load.

is the physics module still on this year with the changes? The site keeps referring to last year's modules, nothing on this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Ah dammit, didnt even see this thread. O well itl be usefull from here on!! Doing C.A. By the by.

Nanaki wrote: »
    is the physics module still on this year with the changes? The site keeps referring to last year's modules, nothing on this year.

To be honest i dont know. Finished CA this year and so i never want to go back to that site ever again :-)

But if you can pick it you should..
    As far as i remember Eamon Cunningham was the lecturer.
    Nice enough guy. Tries to explain it all out..

Least he did when i showed up!

Okay. Its either physics or electronics, I don't feel up to the french, and I reckon the other two might be more useful and lend themselves to the course more.
    Was the physics of a similar standard to the LC, or higher/lower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dan08

if that is this years timetable is doesnt seem too bad ?
    and how many optional modules do we choose for the course ?

• Advertisement

Nanaki wrote: »
    Okay. Its either physics or electronics, I don't feel up to the french, and I reckon the other two might be more useful and lend themselves to the course more.
    Was the physics of a similar standard to the LC, or higher/lower?

Neither will help you throughout the course.. only thing i think electronics can help with is logic gates (which are so easy you shouldnt pick it based on this alone).

Physics will in no way help you through the degree except for give you a handier time of it through first year leaving you to do better in your programming/architecture modules. As for the standard i did higher physics for leaving cert and cruised through the module. Those who did ordinary with a small bit of work could get through it.

i didnt do electronics but i never heard of anyone saying they felt it benefitted them in a later module. But dont quote me on that you may be better off gettin advice from someone who did it.

Advertisement