Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish National Hot Air Ballooning Championships

• 22-08-2008 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

21st September... The balloons are back!!

I'm playing a part in organising the National Ballooning Championships this year and I'm delighted to say we've got it back to Waterford. Some of you might remember the event in 2001 when there were 30+ balloons flying over the city twice a day.

If everyone can pray, hope, dance etc. for decent weather, we'd really appreciate it!! For the week of the 21st, we need low winds and some sun please!

Theres a lot of pilots signed up for the event this year and there'll be a number of launch sites around the city and county. There'll be a couple of launches at least from the park.

For those of you who are really interested in photography, there should be some great chances to get some interesting shots.

I just hope the weather is ok.. it'd be nice to see Waterford in the news for something good for a change.

The way it'll work will be probably 2 launches a day from different sites depending on the wind speed / direction. One will be at 7:30am ish and the other later in the evening.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Is the end of September the best time of the year to be having something like this if you need the weather to pay its part..?

I know its pot luck in this country anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hey Trotter, can you PM with any info you got on that and links to past photos. Would be much obliged thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Dub13 wrote: »
    Is the end of September the best time of the year to be having something like this if you need the weather to pay its part..?

I know its pot luck in this country anyway.

Would you have preferred to have it in June or July? We could have watched them all take off and streak across the sky only to be challenged by the RAF in a matter of minutes :D

September is as good a month as any.. and it has been successful in that month before. I completely agree with you though.. its pot luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Hoping to get some photographs of the event and maybe some behind the scene shots too

kensutz wrote: »
    behind the scene shots

Me asleep in the back of a landrover is about as exciting as the behind the scenes get lol

What kind of shots are you after? Maybe I can assist!

• Advertisement

Just some stuff for the papers. I know the chances of getting into a balloon will be impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The weather will be fine. I did a deal with God, its why summer has been shiote :p

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    The weather will be fine. I did a deal with God, its why summer has been shiote :p

Mike.

You B*st*rd... Its your fault I'm counting down the days to meeting my new batch of primary school clients who have spent the "summer" eating sugar and playing playstation. They'll be like human fireworks in the classroom... Hallucinating thinking theres a heap of balloons floating past the window lol

I hope you get the weather,I presume the wind is the main thing you need to avoid.

I hope you get the weather,I presume the wind is the main thing you need to avoid.

A little bit of a light breeze is ok.. anything over that is a no go. Its too difficult to inflate them when its windy. Besides.. its a hairy feeling landing in something with no wheels when you're zipping along at 10-15mph.

• Advertisement

Here's some photos of the 2001 championships in Waterford. I'll add any more that I come across during the week.

EPSN0011.jpg

EPSN0024.jpg

EPSN0025.jpg

EPSN0028.jpg

EPSN0036.jpg

EPSN0039.jpg

EPSN0048.jpg

EPSN0054.jpg

EPSN0061.jpg

EPSN0062.jpg

EPSN0066.jpg

EPSN0017.jpg

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Here is the Launch Schedule for this event. The base HQ for the event will be the Manor Court Hotel on the old Kilmeaden road and flights will take place in the vicinity of the city throughout the week.

Launch Schedule

Sunday 21st Sept

1800 First mass launch – The Peoples Park

2100 Welcome function hosted by Mayor of Waterford City

Mon 22nd Sept

0800 Mass launch, Fahey,Smarts Castle

1800 Mass launch, The People's Park, Waterford

2030 Press evening – night glow - public welcome, The North Quay Ferrybank (Tues and Thurs eve as alternatives if weather unsuitable)

Tues 23rd Sept

0800 Mass launch, Manor court Hotel and Mount Congrieve Field

Wed 24th Sept

1800 Mass Launch, Lismore Castle, County Waterford

2130 Sponsors and all crews BBQ / Dinner function (Venue TBA)

Thurs 25th Sept

0800 Mass Launch, Faithlegg Hotel & Golf Club practice area

1800 Mass Launch, Piltown, Co. Kilkenny

Fri 26th Sept

0800 Mass launch, The People's Park, Waterford

1800 Mass Launch, Fly in Task

The public are welcome to call the Championships Hotline — 087 9300700 prior to each scheduled flight for details of whether the flights are going ahead and their location.

The public are actively encouraged to come out and see the balloons as they launch. Parking and viewing facilities will be provided. The balloons will make a spectacular display in the skies over Waterford so bring your camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

cool.. i was only living here a year when this happened last, it was great, back then we actually had summers.. infact me and the lads used to have all our hols taken by the end of the summer cos we used to take days off when it was nice and go boozing,, funny that in the last 3 years i have had on average 10 days left at the ned of the year cos we dont actually get summers anymore :( BOOOOURNS!!

Some great Pics there from 2001,looks like it was a great day.

How much do they cost...?they must also cost a lot to fuel.

Some great Pics there from 2001,looks like it was a great day.

How much do they cost...?they must also cost a lot to fuel.

Depends on the size of the basket and the envelope (the big bit!) The bigger the balloon the more it costs to keep the air hot because you're using more gas.

You're looking at 15k+ for the whole lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

Weather forecasts for next week are available here and synoptic charts are here.

Would photographers, and by that i mean amateurs, be allowed access to the take-off events? And what kind of access could we expect? Would there be restrictions of any kind?

Redundo wrote: »
    Weather forecasts for next week are available here and synoptic charts are here.

Would photographers, and by that i mean amateurs, be allowed access to the take-off events? And what kind of access could we expect? Would there be restrictions of any kind?

You'll be allowed quite close to the balloons. Take the park for example.. The balloons took off from the pitch last time and the crowd were kept at the cycle track. Thats close enough to get some good shots. There won't be flights for the general public.

The take off schedule will be updated as much as possible on the pilots page of the event website..http://www.waterfordballooningclub.com

Looking forward to the early morning take offs. Seeing as I'm working evenings it should give me a good opportunity to get in there most days.

kensutz wrote: »
    Looking forward to the early morning take offs. Seeing as I'm working evenings it should give me a good opportunity to get in there most days.

I won't be around on the morning flights but if you'll be around for the first flight on Sunday night, probably from the park, drop me a PM.

The night glow on the North Quays should be a photographers heaven. It's pencilled in for Tuesday night at 10ish I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Trotter wrote: »
    The night glow on the North Quays should be a photographers heaven. It's pencilled in for Tuesday night at 10ish I think.

Well thats according to this weeks N&S, they say 10pm on Tuesday night, but from the official website they are saying Monday night at 8.30 which is a more realistic time in my opinion. 10pm on a school night is to late I would imagine.
    Mon 22nd Sept

2030 Press evening – night glow - public welcome, The North Quay Ferrybank (Tues and Thurs eve as alternatives if weather unsuitable)

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well thats according to this weeks N&S, they say 10pm on Tuesday night, but from the official website they are saying Monday night at 8.30 which is a more realistic time in my opinion. 10pm on a school night is to late I would imagine.

K.. I'll confirm that the night glow is on Tuesday night at approximately 9:30pm. Thanks for spotting the website mistake :)

The reason its so late is that theres a scheduled mass launch earlier that evening and by the time the pilots launch, fly for a while, get picked up by the retreive vehicles, and back to the North Quays, 9:30pm is even putting us on a very tough schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

hope the weather holds out guys,best of luck,raging ill miss this,ill be down there with the missus from the 3rd to the 6th oct....ah well.

Bump, I've bought some filum are we going to try to organise a group snap session for any of this? And where is Smarts Castle?

Mike.

I'll have me cameras with me. Smarts Castle is out Dunkitt way afaik

Found it - between Mullinabro and Dunkitt (highish flat ground which makes some sense!)

Mike.

Website updated with launch site map!

Its not technically spectacular but it does the trick :D

Launch Site Map

Weather looks good.. wind seems slightly quick though so inflating the balloons may be a bit of work.

Pilots are arriving steadily now too so its looking good for this evening. :)

If I can help the photographers out at the launch site lads I'll do what I can. The public won't be flying but I'll try to get you into good spots on the ground at least.

Interview with the event director on WLR now lads!

Whats the weather like for you lot down there...?its very nice in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Weather is glorious.. slightly cloudy but lots of sun. Slightly on the windy side for the balloons but we expect that to drop off around 6pm.. The weather Gods seem to be smiling on us. The drop off in the wind speed is supposed to happen tomorrow also its all looking good.

Advertisement