Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish National Hot Air Ballooning Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

Well i'll be down there just in case a few balloonists decide to brave the weather

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Latest news is a possible launch this evening from Belline Equestrian centre in Piltown.

I'll confirm when I hear.. until then.. its all still up in the air.. :D Boom Boom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I did that joke on the previous page! :mad: :p

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    I did that joke on the previous page! :mad: :p

Mike.

Ah yes.. so I see! It's far too good to be used only once a day anyway.

NOW...

Launch moved to Belline Equestrian Centre, Piltown. 1730 ish. Wind is mental so don't expect a launch at all. The pilots are bringing the gear out and will take it from there.

Belline Equistian centre Piltown Co. Kilkenny
    N52˚ 21' 12.47" W7˚ 20' 15.71"

I suspect a convoy to the nearest beverage supply establishment around 1800.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

Ah i might still go. Anyone need a lift?

Besides the balloonists?

:p

• Advertisement

I'll pass this time.

The North Quays is off too I presume.

Mike.

I'll pass this time.

The North Quays is off too I presume.

Mike.

Theres only 2 pilots going for a look in Piltown. The night glow is moved to Thursday night.

Theres a few changes on the website for later this week. Keep an eye on that. I'll be updating that anytime I speak to the director, so anytime he makes changes, I'll get that site updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I might hold off tonight then!

I'm really looking forward to the night glow tbh. :)

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I might hold off tonight then!

I'm really looking forward to the night glow tbh. :)

We're really working to get the forecasts right to make sure that happens. The only way to do that is to move the schedules around with very little notice. I'll make sure to update here at the same time I update the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

The question "how do I spot another boardsie?" was going through my mind too.

Anytime there is anything on in Waterford that involves more than 50 people coming out onto the street i meet Fajitas :) i never even have to go looking..

its either me standing there looking at something and i hear "alright Mack" and there he is...

Or Him standing there taking a pic, and i walk up.. "Alright Al"

haha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Would be great if you posted any event changes (incl. times) so I can update the Discover Tramore site, ill be checking this more then the other website! :)

Sully wrote: »
    Would be great if you posted any event changes (incl. times) so I can update the Discover Tramore site, ill be checking this more then the other website! :)

Here's the latest. Night glow is now Thursday.
    Just keep an eye on this for the finer details Sully, anything major I'll post here.

http://www.waterfordballooningclub.com/index_files/page0001.html

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well did any get to take off this morning. Its hard to believe that yesterday was such a let down for all involved considering the day we had. What are the chances of a launch in the Park this evening so?

We got approx 15 balloons away this morning from Piltown. From what I hear, it was very very quick up there today.

The next flight is scheduled to be between 5:30 and 6:30 from the Park this evening. Wind looks good, 8 knots. Direction could be a problem but I have a good feeling about this one.

More info at around 4:15pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Bummer, I see the Lismore launch has been changed to a morning one.

Bah, I just got a call from work. Am working Thursday in Dublin. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I was took some shots this morning in Piltown only had the 50mm with so I haven't got a clue how they'll look it was funny looking at all the kids in there school uniforms runing out pointing at the skies while the mammies were hiding just behind the door in there dressing gowns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Piltown is in Kilkenny! Shouldn't this post be in the Kilkenny County forum? ;)

SheroN wrote: »
    Piltown is in Kilkenny! Shouldn't this post be in the Kilkenny County forum? ;)

image009.jpg

The event is being hosted by Waterford Ballooning Club and most of the flights are due to go from the Park with Waterford ATC providing the link to Waterford airport. I'll make enquiries as to whether we'll change everything to KK airport.

DOH. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Haha I'm sorry I'm missing it. I'm living in Dublin these days. Went on a hot air balloon ride in Turkey this Summery. Really enjoyed it!

• Advertisement

Wind speed forecast dropping again!

Now.. we're doing great.. can half of you now please adjust your prayers to Southerly winds, and the other half keep praying that the wind stays this low.

Good.. carry on!! :D

Update!

Balloons are due to fly from the Park at 6pm. Should be a very good looking launch if the weather goes our way.

A special note to all the photographers here

Local papers seem to be short on photos! Ye know the ins and outs of that better than me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

HI

I heard on the radio here that the baloos this evening are due to head out over Tramore and towards Dunhill -
    firstly is this likely with wind direction this evening?
    Also - Would I see them from the beach in Tramore - I'd so much love to go into the park to see the launch but unfortunatley I cant.

Many Thanks.

Wind in the Tramore direction is what we're hearing now but that can often swirl around the river and send the balloons in the direction of the city and Mullinavat.

At the moment it would seem that a flight in the direction of Fenor is likely.

I would be very surprised to see them from the beach because they won't go that close to the coast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

How far can these balloons go and how do they land...?

Dub13 wrote: »
    How far can these balloons go and how do they land...?

They can go as far as the gas allows them. A normal flight is anything from 15mins to 60 mins or more.

They land by graduallly letting the air cool, i.e. using the burner less, and aiming for an open field! Theres no steering so as soon as the pilot thinks its time to think about landing, he/she is looking out for a spot along their direction of travel.

Then it ranges from a gentle plonk onto the ground, to the basket going over and being dragged a little as ya land. Its usual procedure to duck under the level of the basket as ya land anyway so if it goes over, its never a big deal. Its quite normal.

According to windfinder they will indeed drift in a ssw direction towards Fenor, a good spot to photograph them will be at Ballyscanlon lake, there is some handy high ground offering views back towards Waterford.

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/tramore_waterford

Mike

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Trotter wrote: »
    They can go as far as the gas allows them. A normal flight is anything from 15mins to 60 mins or more.

They land by graduallly letting the air cool, i.e. using the burner less, and aiming for an open field! Theres no steering so as soon as the pilot thinks its time to think about landing, he/she is looking out for a spot along their direction of travel.

Then it ranges from a gentle plonk onto the ground, to the basket going over and being dragged a little as ya land. Its usual procedure to duck under the level of the basket as ya land anyway so if it goes over, its never a big deal. Its quite normal.

It all sounds very exciting.

How long do you reckon they'll be up there for this evening?

Not sure if I'll make it or not, have to do dinner with the folks somewhere... but I might be able to steer the somewhere nearer to the park.

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    How long do you reckon they'll be up there for this evening?

Not sure if I'll make it or not, have to do dinner with the folks somewhere... but I might be able to steer the somewhere nearer to the park.

Half an hour to 45 mins I reckon. Gonna be an excellent launch I reckon. It really is one for the photographers!

Headin in now myself. Later!

Advertisement