Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish National Hot Air Ballooning Championships

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm going to chance it and head out to Ballynaclough Cross roads area (on the road between Holy Cross and Tramore - R682), then if I spot them heading in the right direction on to Ballyscanlon lake

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

I'm just going to chance the park again today, with the digital this time. Is it ok to walk in around the middle of the area the balloons are setting up in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

they just passed over, really low! any chance of a spin in one? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

The baloons looked incredible heading out the cork road this evening. All credit to the organisers and pilots involved-Great Job:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

A few pints in, and didn't fancy going anywhere tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 garrser

Excellent evening both at the launch this evening in the Peoples Park, as well as following the balloons out Dunhill direction. My children were delighted (almost as much as their parents!). Took loads of photos. Will definitely try to make the Night Glow on Thursday. Well done to all involved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hi all,
    Thanks for the nice comments earlier. I showed them to the director and the head organisers and they were happy to see that the general public are enjoying it. I think they're really hoping the night glow on Thursday night will really wow the crowd. Personally I think its going to be amazing if we get the weather.

Is there any way I can get at all these photos that people are taking? (I've been in touch with a couple of the lads here who've been so helpful in sharing the photos).

I'm so busy at the launches that I miss the chance to take photos of my own.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring you news of our newest arrival. She's a lively one and brand new just arrived this week.

We've called her Echo India Echo Charlie Charlie.. EI-ECC for short.

In't she luvly? :)

DiscoverWaterford.jpg

Will there be another Park launch?

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    Will there be another Park launch?

Mike

All depends on the weather over the next 48hrs Mike.. As soon as I know, you'll know.

• Advertisement

Cheers, yesterday I went way too soon and ran out of time (I saw the Balloons heading SW at 6.40 ish) so if the Park lift off happens I'll need to get some info about launch time. I found a brilliant spot for taking pix - at the Sporthouse Reserviour 5km SW - you get a view of the whole city pretty much so I want to get the Balloons sitting over Waterford with the south kilkenny hills behind.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

HI,

On the schedule that I have it says the launch this evening is at Lismore Castle - if it goes ahead will it happen in Lismore or the Peoples Park - I'm confused!
    The night glow on Thursday again if this happens - where will it be from?

Many Thanks the balloons are so beautiful - I saw a few over Tamore yesterday evening it was Fab.

Well done to all on the event.

North quays we watch from the south quays.

I presume Lismore caslte is the one in er Lismore :) Something for the peeps of west Waterford to gaze at.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

depaor wrote: »
    HI,

On the schedule that I have it says the launch this evening is at Lismore Castle - if it goes ahead will it happen in Lismore or the Peoples Park - I'm confused!

Neither. According to the website the launch this evening is in Belline Equestrian Centre, Piltown.

depaor wrote: »
    HI,

The night glow on Thursday again if this happens - where will it be from?

Guys your definitive guide to launch sites is the launch schedule on the website.

http://www.waterfordballooningclub.com/index_files/page0001.html

It changes from time to time but I log the time of each change above the schedule.

Night glow is Thursday on the Quays. Public to view from the Waterford side, Balloons set up on the Ferrybank side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Siuneir

Hi Trotter ,
    I rang the helpline,It just gave details of this evenings launch & the night glow in Waterford tomorrow night ,it didn't mention Lismore in the morning ,it's on the pilot page ,so I presume it's going ahead.

Regards

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Siuneir wrote: »
    Hi Trotter ,
    I rang the helpline,It just gave details of this evenings launch & the night glow in Waterford tomorrow night ,it didn't mention Lismore in the morning ,it's on the pilot page ,so I presume it's going ahead.

Regards

Trotter has advised that this website will be kept updated with any changes that happen. Probably the best place to look as the timetable has changed a bit. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Siuneir

Cheers Sully,

Yea that's the pilot page,
    There was some fog this am on the Blackwater Valley ,should make a spectacular sight to see the balloons rising out of the river fog:).
    Will take some pics & post the digital ones from the phone,the others will have to wait as I'm still in the ancient realm of 35mm & medium format:rolleyes:.

Lads here's the deal with the website. I'm spending hours each day with the director and when he makes a decision, I update it. By the team he goes to update the phone number, he's had 3 calls about other stuff. He's up to his eyes!

Im getting the decisions to the website minutes after they've been made.

I've just left from meeting the director again, so Im about to update the site again.

Thursday morning, Lismore.
    Thursday night, the Park.
    Friday morning, Waterford Manor.
    Friday evening, The Park.

As always, those decisions are provisional until the briefing before each flight. They happen at 6:15am, and 4:15pm.

The night glow time has been slightly adjusted to 9pm on Thursday night.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Beat hadnt a clue where the night glow was happening. They told people to go to the Park, but said they were unsure. Didnt have the time to text in as I was rushing out of the house to catch the bus

• Advertisement

Push it back another ten mins! I'll only be arriving in off the train at 20:50!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Lismore Castle was too foggy this morning. Seemed to be local as when you got out of town the fog was lifted.

Fog was all the way up as far as and into Dublin city this morning - Didn't have any out on the Dunmore road though, oddly enough.

Out of town? :pac:

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Trotter, Do you know how many balloons are going to take part in the night glow, and how far up the North Quays are they using. I see the site behind the Bus Eireann garages at the bottom of Rockshire Rd has been clearing all yesterday evening and this morning. Are they going to be along that part of the Quays as well?

Thanks for all your updates by the way.

mike65 wrote: »
    Out of town? :pac:

Mike.

Lismore town :p

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Trotter, Do you know how many balloons are going to take part in the night glow, and how far up the North Quays are they using. I see the site behind the Bus Eireann garages at the bottom of Rockshire Rd has been clearing all yesterday evening and this morning. Are they going to be along that part of the Quays as well?

Thanks for all your updates by the way.

No problem.. glad to help.

I'm hoping for as many balloons that will fit in the area we have on the quays.. anything up to 20 ish.

They'll be set up from the silos to the bridge.. that end of things.

Now.. Gotta eat.. Haven't had a chance since last night LOL

EI-ECC will be inflated in the park this evening from 5:30pm too if anyone wants to see it.

I was hoping to see EI-ECC in Lismore this morning but it wasn't there :(

kensutz wrote: »
    I was hoping to see EI-ECC in Lismore this morning but it wasn't there :(

EI-CCC isn't due to be flown just yet (I hope that could change later on today) so the pilot is flying GB-TOU instead until EI-CCC's paperwork is fully ready.

GB-TOU (Nicknamed Jodie) is the multicoloured one that Waterford people see floating around from time to time during the year.

• Advertisement

Cool, might get a chance to get in later.

Advertisement