Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish National Hot Air Ballooning Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

I'll be there good and early tonight to stake my claim to a good spot with a tripod. So if anyone sees a Manfrotto witha Canon 10d or Bronica, that'll be me.

Don't be afraid to come up and say hi either!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Does it matter which end of the quay I head for tonight? ie. the bridge or the tower? Have'nt had a chance to see any of this during the week (slave driving b*stards in work) so I wanna see as much as possible tonight.

By the way, thanks for all the updates Trotter, I probably would'nt know anything about this if it was'nt for this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I took my digi camera along with my proper analogue camera, so some pix from the teatime launch. Sadly my batteries died sooner than I wished so I couldn't chase the balloons down the street! :p

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3274/2887378221_ea6d6f40e4_o.jpg

2887378231_2ee9a97d7c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3210/2887378227_32445736a9_o.jpg

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

ooh, I'm gettin all excited now :) thanks mike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Siuneir

Was in Lismore this morning ,it was foggy,but only on the river as normal,it was very surreal looking.:cool:
    Got some good shots,:D
    We were diverted due to roadworks on way back to Dungarvan,had to take road up to Vee,we had just gotten above the river fog & there were all the balloons in the beautiful sunlight,over the woods,saw one rising up out of the fog into the sunlight it was amazing!
    On my way to the city now looking forward to it.
    Will post some shots tomorrow night.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Well how was the night glow from the Waterford side? Its been a long evening with the park launch and the glow to sort out.

We didnt get to fly EI-ECC but Im very hopeful it'll have its first flight tomorrow.

Hope you all enjoyed the glow.

EIECC1Web.jpg

Glow1Web.jpg

EIECC2Web.jpg

Glow2Web.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Best view, I thought, was on the opposite side of the quay. Twas nice :)

Btw Trotter, any idea how much it costs to get advertised on the baloons?

Sully wrote: »
    Best view, I thought, was on the opposite side of the quay. Twas nice :)

Btw Trotter, any idea how much it costs to get advertised on the baloons?

The envelopes are manufactured with the sponsor on them, so the sponsor usually pays for the cost of the envelope.

That can be €10k + depending on the size of the envelope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Siuneir wrote: »
    Will post some shots tomorrow night.;)
    Was great meeting yourself and Redundo, though, I fear I might have had a pint too many at that stage :D

Trotter, was a great night, really enjoyed it - I don't think much of my photos, but will post 'em in the morning.

Anyways, happy hangovers.

:-/

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Yep Trotter it was cool.

I especially enjoyed the baskets out in front with no balloons attached.

I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow.

And thanks for keeping us up to date on what's been happening. I can honestly say that without you posting here I would not have gone in to see the night glow (or the takeoffs in the park) or to convince all the lads to either!! Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 garrser

Was in at the night glow last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't really know what to expect but was not disappointed.

Thought the crowd's response was a bit muted but am sure everybody enjoyed it just the same. Heard a lot of "deadly" and "cool" calls from the people near us.

Hope all the balloonists enjoyed it also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Two balloons were skimming along the river at about 6.20 yesterday. I thought the first one was crashlanding in the water, but they were obviously having a bit of fun (I presume), as the Bulmers one took off again. The first one floated down nearly to the bridge before taking off over it. Any further and they'd be calling for a bridge lift!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ya, fair play Trotter for keeping us updated and reporting back with any news. It was greately appreciated - you did a fantastic job. :)

He's not finished yet! Hopefully the skies will clear at just the right moment, like yesterday. I'll try to get some close ups this time, either that or hang around the quay or indeed by the Infirmary (yesterday I went past it on the way home and the sky was full of slow moving balloons hovering over the centre of town and river).

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Today was a bit of a let down. Heavy fog took ages to clear but 6 took off from the Old Court including the long awaited launch of the new balloon. Just home now since standing around at 7am and will have photos up in a while.

Good morning/afternoon/evening... whatever it is lol

The Trotter report for today..

Having had lunch at 12am last night and breakfast on my lunchbreak just now, all is well.

The glow was brilliant.. like being under a giant patio heater :D

Glad ye enjoyed it.

We're not done yet anyway, one more flight from the park at 5:30 / 6pm ish.

The championships close after that flight tonight, and there's a big crew/pilots dinner. I'll be eating that and hoping I dont fall asleep head first into the dessert.

Some pilots may fly in the morning just to use up whatever gas is left, but its not part of the championships, so no official updates from me on that.

Now.. back to work.. the other work..

Yawn...

Who's heading in later? Mini meet?

I'll be there, anyone want to suggest a gathering spot?

Mike

By the fountain in the shape of a ball, handy enough.

Lads what time are ye meeting up? I'll drop over and say hello too.

• Advertisement

Well if its like yesterday then 5.30.

Mike

Have a big job in town tonight, so wont be able to make it. If it finishes early, ill pop down.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

I'll try and be there. It would be nice to see some people from boards. If ye see a guy with red hair looking at people and he looks like he is thinking "I wonder if they are in boards" that would be me!

I should be easy to spot. Balloon launch marshall bib, radios all over me, sunglasses, and bawling "stand back please".

I'm the tall guy with darkish glasses, wearing a dark blue poly-nylon jacket.

Mike

mike65 wrote: »
    poly-nylon jacket.

I'm gonna get in wicked trouble looking at the tags on all the blue jackets to find the poly-nylon one.

Tell me Mike.. is it machine washable? I need to be sure lol :p

I have to drop in some film to get developed, but don't think I'll be sticking around for too long. It appears my hangover is in for the long run today.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Redundo

Don't think i'll make it tonight. Fair wrecked after the week, and particularly noisy damn neighbours last night!

It was good to put some faces to the names on the Board. I wouldn't mind meeting up another time if peeps are out and about.

Yep, we will be!

We weren't exactly a hive of activity by the time you lot met us last night though!

Was only three of us there anyways!

• Advertisement

Good to meet a few of you all this evenin! It was good to get them all away for the last launch of the championships.

I've an hour of relaxation now before I go see the pilots and crew do silly things til the early hours.

Hope you all enjoyed the week anyway.. It was nice to be at the business end of an event that people seemed to really get into.

Advertisement