Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish National Hot Air Ballooning Championships

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Looked really nice up there today.

Enjoy the night Trotter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mike; See charter. Some of your pictures are to wide and break up the thread. Linked, again.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mike, I hope you dont mind, but I took the liberty of fixing your picture size.
    2889844241_e7366eebcf_o.jpg

Cheers Aquos76 :)

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Where are the balloons usually stored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sully wrote: »
    Where are the balloons usually stored?

Everything packs into those trailers you see hitched to the retreive 4x4's on the ground. When its windy and manky, the trailers are just stored away in sheds. Most balloonists have a decent sized shed/garage for the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Saw the balloons yesterday from newgate street, beautiful sight :)

Has anyone any good photos of the nightglow taken from the waterford side of the river?

I do, but gotta get a bit of work first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

From Friday:

DS3_7974_640.jpg

DS3_8040_1_640.jpg

DS3_8054_640.jpg

2893551210_afdb7d8d63.jpg

2893214110_68331e7be7.jpg

2892320575_3c4fbc55ba.jpg

2892129137_3f3f900889.jpg

Not great tbh :)

How would the photographers among you feel about submitting some prints to an Irish Hot Air Balloon Championships photography exhibition sometime in the not so distant future?

The idea would be to raise money for the South Eastern Cancer Foundation.

The people of Waterford have been very supportive of the Balloon Championships so maybe this would be an idea to give something back?

A good few photographers we met over the week would be happy to help, so I said I'd mention it here too.

What do you all think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I'd definately be interested. Count me in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

Trotter wrote: »
    How would the photographers among you feel about submitting some prints to an Irish Hot Air Balloon Championships photography exhibition sometime in the not so distant future?

sure!
    feel free to PM with details and in good time so I can get the print outs ready

Yep, I'm in for it, let me know what the story is :)

Great stuff.

Vague idea so far.. Find a venue, gather peoples' favourite prints, organise an exhibition night, flog the prints for a week or two from the venue, money to charity (SECF).

I'll think more about it when my brain cools.

Oh its lovely not to be legging it to a flight briefing now. I get to correct maths books instead. Yay. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm in!

If I can be of any use Trotter, you know where I am :) Should be interesting to see all the different photos!

Have to make sure the pix submitted are sufficiently varied (20 shots of nothing but balloon fabric would be a dull exhibit).

Mike

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Have to make sure the pix submitted are sufficiently varied (20 shots of nothing but balloon fabric would be a dull exhibit).

Mike

Ah we'll get advice from people in the know that organise this kind of thing a lot and do it the tried and trusted way.. whatever that is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭JMcL

Coming late to this (only saw the thread at the weekend for some reason!), but here're a few from during the week. There're more on my Flickr page. Click on the images to go to the relevant flickr page with access to a bigger image

2884807442_06f6f364d1.jpg

2887685168_3a6ddf8b53.jpg

2886850981_94b5be14a6.jpg

2898950964_2e668a53c8.jpg

2898951974_62797475c7.jpg

Exellent shots. Just looking again - the middle one is bang on the money, really like that.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

amazing photos there JMcL. love the 2nd and 3rd ones. some more lovely ones on your flickr account too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dauphin_army

Eoin Ryan, the producer of RTE Nationwide tells me that
    a piece on this years Ballooning Champs in Waterford will be broadcast
    on Monday evening, 13th October on NATIONWIDE, which goes to air after the main 6pm evening news on RTE-1 TV.

Regards,

Dauphin-army

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭JMcL

Cheers folks.

I'll have to pass the date for Nationwide on to a mate, apparently he featured down at Lismore, but the guy didn't know at that stage when the piece was going to air.

Lads and Ladies, I bring you the offer of the century :cool: :D

When we got the rugby shirts for the crew and pilots, we over ordered them a little. We've around 15 left I think. Originally they were only for pilots and crew of the teams that arrived.

Thanks to Sully and the kind Admins, Im allowed to ask to anyone here would like to own a piece of history lol..

Just to help towards paying the bills for the event in general, we're gonna sell them to anyone here who wants one for €25. Thats cheaper than they were charging me for mine before I said fek off :D

If anyone wants one, email irishchampionships AT gmail .com and the director will contact you about meeting up in Waterford.

I figured that there was so much interest here when the balloons were around that some people might like one. Otherwise I'll send them over to the next big competition in the UK. Some of the pilots wanted extra but we never got around to sorting it before they left.

We've Large and Extra Large left but they're slightly on the smallish side. Very slightly.

Im normally a 38" chest and the medium only just fit me.

Here's the pics of the rugby shirts. They're long sleeve and the quality is very good.

Thanks again to the mods and admins. This isnt a profit thing, all the money will go back into paying for the event.

Shirt1.jpg

Shirt2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Richie I'll take one off ya.

kensutz wrote: »
    Richie I'll take one off ya.

I passed your number onto the boss Ken!

By the way guys and girls, orange is the only colour available :)

• Advertisement

A bit tight and bright orange, if I were going to Studio 54 c 1978 I'd say yes! :p

Mike

Advertisement