Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the "who am I" sticky...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

I'm Paul, I'm 28, English (booo!) and have lived in Dublin for about 2 and a half years. I work in advertising (BOOOOO!) and club seals in my spare time. Paedophile seals, mind (yay!).

I got an Ixus 900ti for Christmas 06, then went on a big holiday that November to Bangkok, Sydney and Tokyo. I really got the bug for photography then, and though my little Canon was (is) a lovely compact, I began to see the limitations of compacts versus SLRs.

I took the plunge and got a D40 about 3 months ago, largely though advice from here. Since then, I've got a bit better at shooting and a load better at PP - though at present I only use the crappy Picnic thing on Flickr. Does enough for me at the moment while I find my feet.

My photostream is here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/clickyfish/ - starts of woeful then eventually reaches the heady heights of tedious yet inoffensive.

I lurk on here mainly rather than post, but find it a fantastic resource.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Mike (obviously), live in Greystones, Co Wicklow.

Camera is a Samsung GS1X with twin kit lenses (19 months old) and a Sigma 70-300 (3 months old). Compact Samsung too for nights out or where I don't want to bring an SLR.

I guess my main subject is Rugby, but I take pics of what catches my eye when I have a camera with me. What I can't do is portraits. Don't know why...

I had set myself a task to get a good shot of a bee and so far have failed miserably. I don't think I have the patience but I'll keep trying!

My task for the upcoming rugby season is to get a decent shot of a big hit (hopefully it's one of my team doing the hitting...). Now that I have a lens that can cover most of the pitch, that mightn't be too difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dmohalloran

Hi my name is Dave.

Hello all.

I am very new to the world of DSLR. Got my Nikon D40 with kit 18-55 lens about 2 months ago. But I have had an interest in photography for a long time.

My main interests are landscape, city scenes, and anything that is of interest as I pass by.

I am still learning the skills of composition, and learning about exposures. Have 'Understanding exposure' as my bible at present. Also find this forum a great help. Looking at others C&Cs shows me a lot about what people look for in an image.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Hi,

I'm Brian, 27. I like holding hands and long walks in the park :pac:
    I've been meaning to get into photography for a long time. I went on a trip across America a few months ago, and that spurred me on to get a DSLR.

I'm interested in all kinds of photography really, it's all new and exciting to me right now! Mostly just taking pictures around the part of Tipperary that i'm living in at the moment. Currently unemployed (damn recession!) so not much opportunity to travel around.

Mainly lurking around here so far, due to laziness and not knowing what i'm talking about. Great forum though, it's been a great help.

I have a 450D and kit lens, and a humble Tamron 70-300. Much more money to be spent/wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

It seems to me that none of us fancy bastards would be able to take a passport photo. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Fenster wrote: »
    It seems to me that none of us fancy bastards would be able to take a passport photo. :p

Well I look like a serial killer (so i've been told) In my drivers license photo.. probably a good thing! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fenster wrote: »

Yeah, I meant to say this earlier. I demand self portraits ! whats the use of a "who am I" sticky if there aren't any self portraits ? How on earth will I know to avoid Thonda in the street if I don't know what he looks like ?!?

Everyone who's replied already are OBLIGED to go back and edit their post and stick in that mug shot.

For the sakes of completeness , here's mine ...

2375492980_05cd1c796a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'm Rach, I overtook my hubbies login hence the crazy smelltheglove name, he's a music fanatic and it comes from the movie soundtrack to Spinal Tap.

I'm 27, married 2.4 kids:) well 2 really but my hubbie amounts to about 4. I live in Lucan, from Castleknock. I got my first crappy camera at about 9 or 10, digitals came in when I was about 17 bnut I had a brutal one. My first editing software came at 17, Corel Paint and Photo House, and I have been a Corel person ever since, trying to get into photoshop slowly but surely. I use a Konica Minolta 5d, I love it to pieces but I need to upgrade.

Being a mammy I love kid shots and can take them very well, one reaon why I rarely upload them, they now all look the same. I love people photography, catching the moment, I have very little interest in landscape and that, I wish I did but my eye isnt keen on it so I tend to stay away. With my husband being a singer in a rock band(s) I also take a lot of music photography, it needs to be very energetic to get me interested though and they gotta play to the camera, thankfully he is probably the cockiest singer around so I get a lot of good shots there. I have done a boxing fight night that got my blood racing, it was great fun and I have agreed to go and shoot it every once and a while again to add a bit of excitement to life! Other than that I stay true to my people and enjoy being caught in the happiness of whatever occasion I am at.

I belong behind the camera, not infront, I photograph terribly so finding a decent shot to put here is hard especially one uploaded to the net. I'm the dreaded eyes closed in every shot person.

3851516496a5897482503l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Everyone who's replied already are OBLIGED to go back and edit their post and stick in that mug shot.

Fair enough so. Here's one from a while back in Amerikay, with post processing just done in Picassa, as in not very good!

2570420188_29c49468a9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just to keep you happy

2165291766_cae2d1d48d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Well I look like a serial killer (so i've been told) In my drivers license photo.. probably a good thing! :pac:

That's bullsh*t and you know it.

It's because you look like Rick Astley :pac:

Fajitas! wrote: »
    That's bullsh*t and you know it.
    On re-examining it.. its not! :eek: Freaky pic tbh - Gotta see it! :p
    It's because you look like Rick Astley :pac:

Never gonna give never gonna give...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Ur 17 and you know Rick Astley lyrics!!

Im Fergus 37 from Tallaght now in Templeogue.

Got a Nikon f80 for an engagement present 10 years ago, never really got the bug until I bought an old nikon D1h from a pro, then it broke, didnt have the disposible income to buy another until wife went to US and brought me back a D40x which I upgraded within 2 months to a d300 and 300mm.

Do some work for The Gazette Group to fund the obsession and have had a picture on the front of the Herald and used by RTE News.

Mostly do sport but must branch out into other genres.

Ur 17 and you know Rick Astley lyrics!!
    Uhm.. I know the whole song :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Can we cut the off topic Rick Astley discussions please?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Calina wrote: »
    Can we cut the off topic Rick Astley discussions please?

Exactly.

You know the rules (and so do I).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Surely a post echoing a mods comment on going off topic is as pointless as the Rick Astley post!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

I'm Adrian, 29, Dublin.

I'm a full time musician and spend a world of time on the road. I took up this photography malarkey just over a year ago and I'm still lovin it (most of the time) Most of what I know I've learn't through trial and error, usually the latter. But what is most important to me is that it's something I have to keep me occupied on my very few days off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Well I'm Seb

Most of you already know me but for those who don't.

I'm 28 male and a bit strange by choice

Started off with photography a long long time ago near 1990
    with a Kodak Instamatic 110 that I got from my parents after collecting esso tiger tokens.

At the moment I shoot with an array of Olympus equipment film/digital for fun and professionally when asked. Wedding/Motor Sport/Studio etc....

http://www.sebastiandooris.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebastiandooris/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭YogiBear

:) 31yrs young.
    Camera: Canon 40D.
    I've a canon 17-85mm, a canon 50mm and a sigma 70-300mm.
    I have various other gadgets (filters, extenders e.t.c.) that I haven't had time for of late but hoping to focus more of my time on same ASAP. ;)

Edit:
    These are my eyes anyway>>
    C157E595218F4BAE84494DA8181DBEC0-240.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭MistressPandora

Hi all, I'm Pandora. I used to post here ages ago but I thought I should reintroduce myself.

I'm 26 years old and photography became the love of my life since my brother showed me how to take and develop a picture when I was 15.
    I have about 5 or 6 different cameras, but the one I use most is my trusty Fuji PinePix S5000.
    I usually shoot scenic, documentry (gigs, events etc), animals, street art and spontaneous shots.

I also occasionally pose for a photographer friend of mine Rosco:
    2422720437a7321322692o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

thebaz from dublin

I've been shooting dublin manically for a bit over year now , plan stopping in another year -- thats the plan anyway --

lead a crazy and varied life and i track my daily existence through images at

http://blog.barrydelaney.ie/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebaz/

Not sure where I'm going in photography or life for that matter , but going somewhere -- i think.

Nikon D 300 with a 50 lens and an olympus 765 bridge are my weapons

http://www.barrydelaney.ie/

I've been doing photography for over 2 years now,a year and a half with various compacts and a 400D since January.I'm still a beginner and have a long way to go before I'm happy with my photography.I mainly shoot landscapes,wildlife and various ruins and abandonments(Yeah I need to branch out :o) My kit consists of a Canon 400D,18-55mm(Kit lens),Canon 28-135mm,Canon 70-200 F/4 and a new Sigma 10-20mm which I'm yet to test out.

And I guess I'm going to have to give a self portrait,by the way I don't really have giant hands...or terminator eyes...and those spanish tourists aren't with me!
    44DC90C12C104B8981395014D9431F6A-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

6885EE1504174E56911C5EBB3E60DF47-500.jpg

That's me on a train in Gdansk earlier on in the year.

My name is Dave, and I'm studying Fine Art Media in NCAD, going into my 3rd year. I've just started out with photography, I purchased a Canon 40D at the beginning of July I think it was, and absolutely loving it. I use the 17-85mm kit lens, and also saved up to get canon's 100mm macro which I've begun dabbling in. I usually go out for long walks and take photographs of whatever interests me along the way. Unfortunately the weather has been fairly bad this summer so haven't got out as much as I hoped.

my flickr is: http://flickr.com/photos/hendersonsix
    feel free to have a browse/add me as a contact :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I'm Paul. I'm a picker, a grinner, I'm a lover and I'm a sinner, playing my music in the sun...the 'Tele' prefix is a reference to a Fender Telecaster, a guitar that was first produced in the early '50s. Music is my other great love, and I have a particular penchant for stringed instruments.

I bought my first camera before going to Yosemite National Park two years ago. It was/is a Sigma SA7 35mm film jobby which served me well, but I couldn't afford to develop all the film I shot. I bought a 350D six months later and have considered myself an enthusiastic amateur since (although my acceptance of post-processing software was a long time coming) Bought my first 'L' series lens a couple of weeks back and am looking forward to the opportunities Autumn brings. I like to shoot rural landscapes for the most part.

Mug-shot to follow - just got back from New Orleans this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I suppose I'll post :)

Al, from Waterford, living in Dublin most of the time... Or at least travelling between Waterford and Dublin when I'm not. I do a bit of work for a good few places, from Bus Eireann to event management companys, but mostly with a makeup college these days, doing student portfolios, product shots, and general portraits. It's a handy place to end up, and I like the people I'm working with :)

Also do weddings, events, gigs, along with fashion shoots for a few different designers, and a few other bits and pieces about. Keeps me busy/out of trouble. I'm just about to go into my final year in NCAD, same dept. as Daddio above me and looking forward to getting it over and done with. The real world beckons.

Learnt most of what I know about the technical side of photography from the Internet, books, magazines, etc. I had a photography module in my Fetac course, but outgrew it a bit faster than they had planned, and upgraded my (Originally my dad's) Canon 1000Fn to a 300D and went from there. I have my fair share of gear from 110 cameras up to some large format boxes. Everything gets a bit of use. I'm currently loving my Zorki 4K though. I also like my 'odd' photography... lensbaby's, holga's, pinholes, polaroids, pushing, pulling, cross processing and so on. Just something a bit different really. Or interesting at least. :)

I guess I enjoy shooting people the most... Interactions, conversations, and having a bit of fun.

Oh, and me =
    l_75d10d4ddac3c5589cfeabe71cd44edb.jpg

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I guess I enjoy shooting people the most...

Not something you ever want to say in an airport, or America.

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Hi all,[snipped].

I'm a [snipped] full-time student, part-time musician, newbie photographer. My affinity with Boards has arisen from my interest in photography - in seeking advice for my recent buy: I've recently taken the plunge and bought a 450d after a few years of facination. It just arrived yesterday and I'm pretty excited to get snapping.

I love macro, motion, portraits; basically I think I'll find myself trying to capture the beauty within everything - including the mundane! I've been snapping away with my little compact cybershot for years and it has served me well but I'm glad to see the back of it.

Attached is my first self portrait with the 450d.

Could anyone confirm this: As is my newbiness, to embed a photo on a post (rather than attaching as I have done), I first have to create an album within the CP. And I can't create an album until I have 25 posts? Is this right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

zippy84 wrote: »
    Hi all,[snipped].

I'm a [snipped] full-time student, part-time musician, newbie photographer. My affinity with Boards has arisen from my interest in photography - in seeking advice for my recent buy: I've recently taken the plunge and bought a 450d after a few years of facination. It just arrived yesterday and I'm pretty excited to get snapping.

I love macro, motion, portraits; basically I think I'll find myself trying to capture the beauty within everything - including the mundane! I've been snapping away with my little compact cybershot for years and it has served me well but I'm glad to see the back of it.

Attached is my first self portrait with the 450d.

Could anyone confirm this: As is my newbiness, to embed a photo on a post (rather than attaching as I have done), I first have to create an album within the CP. And I can't create an album until I have 25 posts? Is this right?

Sounds about right, get posting! Nice Les Paul, you a lefty or is it a mirror shot?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

TelePaul wrote: »
    Sounds about right, get posting! Nice Les Paul, you a lefty or is it a mirror shot?

lefty man, unfortunately it's only an epiphone! I far rather my strat! It sucks bein left-handed, I wouldnt recommend it :D

Advertisement