Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the "who am I" sticky...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pft

Hello, Paul here. Years ago I had a crappy SLR followed by a simple digital camera. This year decided to get back to SLR photography and bought a 450D wit h standard 18-55mm lens + a macro extension tube. My goal is to learn to take great pics that I can be proud of without a whole load of post processing (using picasa for the moment).

Just uploaded some samples to http://pix.ie/ptaylor and greatly appreciate any comments, good or bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

pft wrote: »
    Hello, Paul here. Years ago I had a crappy SLR followed by a simple digital camera. This year decided to get back to SLR photography and bought a 450D wit h standard 18-55mm lens + a macro extension tube. My goal is to learn to take great pics that I can be proud of without a whole load of post processing (using picasa for the moment).

Just uploaded some samples to http://pix.ie/ptaylor and greatly appreciate any comments, good or bad.

Welcome i'll add you on pix.ie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭eshortie

Hi all, joined boards ages ago, well before I was interested in photography. Now I recently began to use boards again and just dicovered the photography forum. Will be back here more often now! :D

I love most types of photography but I mainly shoot
    • Nature/Macro
    • Landscape
    • Gigs
    • An odd abstract and sometimes portraits
    I use an Canon 400D, Canon EOS 50E (film), 10-20mm Sigma, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Canon Macro f/2.8, Sigma 28-300mm, 430EX Flash.

I bring my camera around with me as often as possible and love photography. Been taking pictures with two years now (since I was 16).
    I'm currently attending school but would like to do design and multimedia/ photography in college.

I recently applied to DIT and got 550 points in my portfolio, so maybe I'll go there :) Lol

Hope to see y'all round here and on flickr.
    Check me out at http://www.flickr.com/photos/eshortie/ and add me (mention yer from here too:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭NorDub

I've been lurking around these forums for a few years now, finally made up my mind and joined "properly"... I'm Adrian, 33 years, researcher - lived in Dublin for a few years until last spring. Hope to return for another few years some time - half heartedly, given that right now I'm living in Norway again. Love the outdoors, skiing, cycling, hiking, ...

Started out with a completely manual SLR (Praktica MTL 5) about 19 years ago, had some "experimental" phases including other Praktikas & Zenits, filters, long-time exposures etc. Bought a digital P&S (not the simplest, though, Fuji FinePix E510) over 3 years ago purely for size/weight reasons: all those great shots I missed when being out cycling or skiing! Due to a cycling accident I replaced it a year later by another P&S, FinePix A900. And recently I found out I manouvred myself into a nice catch-22: I hardly use my beloved Praktica anymore - it still doesn't fit into the pocket of a cycle jersey...

DSCF4379-1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 43 campbellu

Canon 450D ..marine photography ..Wicklow mountains
    Conor, just started on this site as am going to! buy a Canon450 on high recommendation of a work friend who now exhibits his photos.
    Am into Marine..(beaches, stones, boats)but walk all! the time in Wicklow hills, so do I ruin a good walk by taking all the time to decide what photos to take..wanted to say, well done with the photos, glendalough and forests and water are great subjects. The light is the "thing" sometimes when walking I just stop to wonder at the beauty of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pft

campbellu wrote: »
    Conor, just started on this site as am going to! buy a Canon450 on high recommendation of a work friend who now exhibits his photos.
    Am into Marine..(beaches, stones, boats)but walk all! the time in Wicklow hills, so do I ruin a good walk by taking all the time to decide what photos to take..wanted to say, well done with the photos, glendalough and forests and water are great subjects.

Welcome. Can't wait to see some pictures. Got a 450D myself and its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

Long time lurker, finally got my act together to join this place - I'm Simone, based in Galway, rarely seen without my camera in hand (for the weekends, at least...)

I shoot with a Nikon D300, and a Nikon D50 before that. Lenses in my possession are the Sigma 18-200 mm and a nifty Sigma 105 mm macro lens. Plus a few filters, Tripod etc.

My main haunt for photography so far is Deviantart, lookies here: http://realta-eireann.deviantart.com

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭fluffyVW

Long time lurker, finally got my act together to join this place - I'm Simone, based in Galway, rarely seen without my camera in hand (for the weekends, at least...)

I shoot with a Nikon D300, and a Nikon D50 before that. Lenses in my possession are the Sigma 18-200 mm and a nifty Sigma 105 mm macro lens. Plus a few filters, Tripod etc.

My main haunt for photography so far is Deviantart, lookies here: http://realta-eireann.deviantart.com

:D

Hey!!! I know you!!! :P From DeviantArt!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

fluffyVW wrote: »
    Hey!!! I know you!!! :P From DeviantArt!!! :D

hahaha :D indeedy! Hiya Ash!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

Hiya, I'm Jay,

My interest in photography started years ago, when I passed my inter cert and my dad gave my his old Fuji something or other. I traded that in for an old Nikon FM, which I had to use with a light meter to take photos. So I learned the basics using that. I then moved on to a Nikon FM2. I then spent every summer working and and at the end of that summer would be a lens of flash gun or something. I then got bored with manual focus and moved on to a Sigma D300 (which I still have if anyone is interested?).

I worked in an IT company and about 12-13 years ago we began distributing compact digital cameras from Casio (which were the size of VHS tapes) and thats were the interest in digital cameras came from. At present I have a Canon G6. I have just bought Photoshop Elements 7. I hope to buy a DSLR (any recommendations? - I'm a Canon man) later this year and join the Dublin Camera club.

I love all aspects of photography but enjoy anything that involves leaving the shutter open for prolonged periods of time - Waterfalls, night time traffic etc. I hope to post some soon. I also love fishing, have a little boat in Howth so hopefully I will have some more inspiration from there over the summer.

Great forum.

Jay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Nice to meet you Jay, i'd say you get some lovely shots from your boat.
    Hope to see you at one of the day outs soon :D

Tallon

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

Tallon,

Nice to meet you too. Irelands eye is great and its only a few minutes from Howth. We got a bit close last week and it is a bird sanctuary, put it like this, the boat needed a serious wash and thank god for a cabin - bird **** attack! Seriously though, great wild life and fauna - seals, porpoises, gulls, puffins, terns etc. Its a long shot but I'm hoping for a shot of a basking shark or the first shot of an Orca in Dublin bay - they've been spotted not far off the Cork coast.

Jay.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

Hhhm, been around for a while with the odd post but somehow never remembered to say hi... so hi!

I have a canon 300d with a couple of lenses but am thinking of upgrading. I also have an OLD film Yashica FX-1 that I borrowed of my uncle which is actually a great camera with cheap lenses and I'm thinking of starting to use that a bit more once I learn how to develop film myself, there's something about film that just seems nicer. Maybe it's just that I spend all day at a computer anyway.

Only really got into photography last year as I started to feel that I wanted to do something creative (I'm a banker by trade so creating something is a nice change from my usual day...). Since getting into it the pictures on here have been a great inspiration.

Walter

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Hi :)

I have a Sony DSC-W55 and this is my flickr :)

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Hey I'm Alan, 24, working in Limerick but from and living in Cork. Have always had an interest in photography, but only recently made the move to dSLR. Had a Fujifilm Finepix S700 prior to my new Nikon D40.

Learning about the D40 at the moment, reading, practicing (i.e. fcuking things up! :pac:) and watching a video tutorial thingy I got somewhere. Don't have much in the line of equipment, D40 with two Nikkor lenses 18-55 and 55-200 (came as a kit), a small tripod and a few bits I've had since the S700.

This forum is great, long time boards user but new to the Photography forum. Also interested in Photoshop CS3 and Corel Painter X, and learning about the two of those at the moment too! :D

Just said I'd say hi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Samuisue

Hello everyone.
    My name is Sue, and I’m currently living & working in Dublin.
    I’m a complete novice to both photography & boards. So this is gonna be fun (& a steep learning curve).

I’ve always been interested in photography but I’ve not had the equipment to really pursue it.
    That’s changed now as I was lucky enough to inherit a Canon 75-300mm EF IS Lens, & then badgered my hubby till he got me my first SLR camera (Canon 1000D) as a gift :D

I’m still finding my feet & setting up the basics (pix.ie etc) but I thought I’d say hi as I’m sure you’ll be hearing a lot more from me as time goes on.

All C&C will be much appreciated as I know NOTHING!!

923E12E1160A48998339E50AB284219D-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Hi Sue, and welcome.
    Hope you have as much fun here as I do and get some good advice.
    Looking forward to seeing your Pix.ie. Let us know when its up and running

Tallon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

May as well introduce myself too seeing as I started posting stuff quite recently!

Details - I'm Conor, I live in London, but I'm originally from Sligo.

History - I only properly got into photography recently. Years ago when I was about 10 I did ask my parents to by me a "camera with one of those focus things" as a christmas present. Imagine my disappointment when I opened a point and shoot with the word "autofocus" written on the front! I obvioulsy faked delight though. Anyway, after snapping general nature on that, after a few months my interest dissipated. Then a few years back I got given a point and shoot digital as a present and went through a few different digital cameras since (still point and shoot) which I could take a few ok shots with.

Then a few weeks back I got talking to a friend of a friend (he's a poster on these forums but I won't divulge his identity!) and just from chattin with him I decided to give it a proper go again. So he advised the D40/D60 as an entry level camera. D40s being discontinued, I went with the D60 because I wanted a sparkly new one. Now I'm hooked! I started slow, but the shots are getting better and the post processing is slowly beginning to make sense.

Here's the closest I have to a pic I'm afraid (it links to my flickr). I'm the reflection on the glasses!

3618258856_f7aef39a73.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Wow, I'm posting nearly a year and I never filled this out, yep guilty as charged, I'm pure lazy.So anyway here is the story with me.

My name as most can guess from my avatar is Dan.I'm from Carlow originally but live in Waterford now.

I'm a 21 year old student studying computer forensics in Waterford Institute of Technology. I caught the photography bug last August and have since been hooked like an addict to their craving. I use a canon 400d with a few various lenses that I have acquired, my nifty fifty and my 70-300 being my favourite.

After I finish my current higher degree course next year I have ambitions to study photography in some way, shape or form, jury is out weather I'd amount to anything but I'm gonna give it a try anyway.Like most people who eventually do post here I was a lurker for quiet some time to the forum, but I must say I find it very helpful and also a nice environment to work in. There is no other substitute for the help and knowledge one receives here on this forum. Without it I'd have never of purchased an SLR in the first place.

My favourite subject of choice would definitely be wildlife and nature and I pretty much revolve my photography world around both as my pix and website will show. My main hobby is to try photograph animals in a way that they seem to be in their natural habitat. I process my photo's with Light-room and Photo-shop, Light-room predominately, and I am guilty most times of overdoing it, but I've recently changed my style and I'm beginning to learn.

My pix.ie account : http://pix.ie/danieljordan13
    My Website *(beta edition) : http://www.danny.xc-host.com

Here's me doing my thing, thought i'd keep the trend going of reflections :)
    8333533EE1B34188938838F5644C4EC4-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Hi all, Joe here. Originally from Waterford but working in Dublin since the mid-80s. Always had an interest in photography but not having proper kit held me back. Joined my local camera club a few years ago, best thing I ever did. Mind you having a digital camera 6 years ago in a camera club marked me out being different, but they have caught up now ;)

Buying a Nikon D80 to replace my Fuji 602 was the second best, though I did not realise it at the time ;)

Finally got my Flickr account sorted, only to find pix.ie waiting for me too. Have most of it sorted as of this morning. Great what you can do, when the kids are watching cartoons.

Feel free to stop and comment on the photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Figured I better introduce myself since I'm actually posting rather than lurking here these days :D

My name's Gemma, I'm 21 and from New Zealand nut i've been in Ireland for about a year and a half now. I've been into photography for a long, long time, but only got a DSLR camera (Sony a200) for my 21st birthday in April. Before that I only had standard point-and-shoots. Also have a Canon EOS 5000 Film SLR which I picked up second hand for 5 euro. Still works perfectly, an absolute bargain.

I take photos of pretty much everything I can get my hands (lens?) on :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

May as well introduce myself...

Hi everyone. New to this forum. I came here yesterday for the first time as a poster as a result of yesterdays thread in LL. I was an occasional lurker beforehand, but from reading the thread I thought I would post some of my pics up too. I had been put off before as it seems mostly like a playground for professional photographers, or those who possess and are familiar with SLR's & Photoshop.
    I see now that anyone is welcome here to post whatever pics they have. I am a Canon Ixus user. I always have been since my first digital camera. Before I used an Olympus 35mm. I do hope to get a Canon SLR at some stage (for the last 2 years ;))
    Anyway, I would appreciate any feedback on my pics. I wish to improve whatever needs improving. I mostly enjoy taking pics with no flash at all, so I know lots of them look a bit shakey.
    Thanks to Rhyme, Dragan & fajitas for recommending flickr to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

Pretty new to it myself too windsock. So trust me, you're in good company! You'll quickly progress through 3 phases:

1. Learning how to improve your photos
    2. Buying a Danbo
    3. Photoing a Danbo

And if you're really crazy -

4. Marry a Danbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

And possibly buying the Boards.ie Photgraphy Book?

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/401617

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Well I've been messing around in here for a while so it's time for proper introductions. My name is Denis and I'm an alcoholic. Oops, sorry, wrong meeting!
    I'm a complete newbie to photography having just gotten my DSLR for Xmas (2008). I've had P&S cameras ok but always hankerd after a DSLR so she who must be obeyed bought me one as a pressie. My main interests are fishing and shooting so I'm going to try photograph them as best I can. You can see some of the results on my pix.ie.
    I live in Trim, Co. Meath which is rich in photo opportunities so it's a great learning ground. Some of the work here on boards is awesome and I just love the assignments. It's a great way to learn and I'm looking forward to learning some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

I was gonna sleep but clearly my body has decided that's not on the agenda right now!

So I'm Daniel, 19 and being messing with photography for a bit.
    Started on p&s and then moved on at 14 into an after school photo class where we developed pics and were using full manual cameras! (I think pentax) which was a great thing for learning the basics.

Stopped for a bit until I got a fuji S5800 xmas 08 only to damage it at haloween and now have it restored! Other than the cam all I have is a tri-pod

My main photos involve lately macros of the small but important things in life
    I love big scenes too but the former means more to me.

I've got flickr there but have yet to start using it properly. I've never took part in the assignments or gone on any meets but I do plan to. Sadly tis too late to take a pic of myself now lol.

As for pic editing I use gimp but used to use photostudio 5.5 which was handy. The most I edit is usually crop and not occasionally exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Hi I'm Stephen, 24 years old, from Dublin.

I only just recently got into photography. I've been using a point-and-shoot for a long time but have always wanted to get into DSLR cameras.

At the moment I'm using my Dad's EOS 20D and his collection of lenses.

I have just started a flickr account but must start up a pix.ie one as well.

I might have a look at going to the meetings and really getting serious with it.

Some great tips here so I'll check them out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

For some reason ive yet to post in here and ive been a lurker since 2007.

Im Richie, 24, Was interested in photography since school days at about 14 but didnt invest in a quality camera (or anything with a manual function for that matter) until about 3-4 years ago when i picked up a D80. I have taught myself pretty much everything i know to date by trial and error, hence why i appear lacking compared to most others with a couple of years experience. :D

I first started photoshoping back in the 6-7 version days in school and now use CS4. recently had the luxury of watching a pro photographer in action which i think i learned a lot from, you'd be suprised how much it helps. then and there I started shooting RAW instead of Jpeg and picked up lightroom.
    Never really used flash in my pics, i like to shoot without it but am gonna pick up an SB600 and see if i can learn anything from that.
    i use flickr but probably should stop uploading my average pics and only use the ones I'm really happy with. I also started a flickr group for pics relating to airsoft. I find with a decent 200mm lens theres some great action shots to be had at the games in a pretty unique environment. :)
    Thats pretty much me,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hi all!

Figure I should post a hello. I'm Zoe, and have been toying with the idea of upgrading from a point and shoot to dslr for ages now, and finally bought me a second hand Konica Minolta 5D today!! I'm very excited. :)

I learned when I was a little kid all about ISO and shutter speed and everything from my Dad who's a keen photographer, so hopefully it'll all start coming back now that I have my own to play around on! (I was only ever allowed try stuff out on his cheapest 35mm!!!)

So, hello!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I just spotted this.. I've been floating in and out of here posting, and I've never introduced myself? How rude of me :)

I'm Deirdre, I'm 30, I live in lovely Leitrim. I work in IT, I'm married to Stephen, who is also a lurker here in the photography section. We have two little boys, a four year old and a seven month old.

My current favourite thing is portraits. Baby and child portraits, to be precise. I do shoot landscapes too, but I'm never happy with the result, needs a lot of work.

I started about 4 years ago with a fuji s5500, moved to an s9600 but quickly realised the limitations and got my current baby, a 400D. Lens wise, I use a sigma 30mm f/1.4, a canon 28-135mm, and a sigma 18-200mm. I also love my 580ex mkII flash.

My website is http://www.dillon-malone.com, and my pix.ie is http://www.pix.ie/quackles - pleased to meet you all, feel free to add me as a friend so I can go and check out your work :)

Advertisement