Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the "who am I" sticky...

Options
  • 22-08-2008 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking lately that there are a lot of relatively new people, so one of the things I wanted to do when I got my mod hat was start a new "who am I" sticky. We had one before, but that was years ago and it was left to die somewhere or other.

So.

Me: Calina. I have had a camera of some description since the age of 11 or 12. Currently I ply my trade with a Canon 40D, although my film heart lies with Olympus.

In the main I take:
    • watersports/kitesports photographs
    • landscape photographs
    • whatever is lying around the house in the way of ornament type photographs
    • weather photographs

I have been on several boards outings including Kerry, Fota Wildlife Park, Donadea (twice), Ireland's Eye, National Botanic Gardens, Kilmainham Gaol and have skipped several others, namely Saint Patricks' Day Parades and anything in Waterford.

I have not forgotten about the possibility of a trip outside Ireland. I will look into that further (I believe Prague won the vote at the time, so will do a post on that subject sometime next week).

People who have most influenced me: my brother in law who taught me about printing from negatives when I was 12. I have never used the info I gained from that. Ansel Adams, Philippe Plisson, Vincent Munier and Peter Lik. None of these take sports photographs which is entirely illogical given that I do.

I use Photoshop, ACDSee Pro and am dipping my foot into Lightroom.

Things that interest me: stuff that belongs in Digital Art and Design, printing and probably next, some macro.

PS: I am female. Not a guy. Serious. Sing mezzo soprano and have a curious need for chocolate every once in a while. I only say this because apparently, people don't realise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Me on the left
    8A4FB99709AC41289CB27D679510035B-800.jpg

Got my 1st Camera for Xmas when GF came back from BH in New York.
    Lost it on a drunken night out in Feb, bought another one, traded it in for 450D in April and traded that in on Monday for 40D, should have a 1DIIIs by Easter at this rate. :p

Totally hooked on this hobby and spent all my money on it, Borderfox aka KeithJack was my 1st mentor who explained stuff to me about 2 months ago.

Fav stuff to photo is Gigs and I happen to think I'm quite good at this.
    I like street photography and portraits too.

Need to get into Landscape soon.

Went on the Guinness outing last Saturday and it wasn't really my sort of thing....

Used lightroom for the 1st time last night.

I'm mad into Punk rock and Arsenal FC, I also love
    72D28BE2739644CD892E1D059B54D2A4-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Me:Im Richard,Started when i was 12-13 using a .3 megapixel digicam,Did get a film camera for my eighth birthday and this must of sparked my interest.Im a canon user through and through and hope to be for a long time :D

Mainly Shoot:(in order or most to less)
    • Sports
    • Pets/Wildlife
    • Landscapes
    • Alot of other things

Meets:Been to none as of yet but do plan to go to some when im done with school.

People who have most influenced me:Mainly people on here and a few members of my family

I use Photoshop,Lightroom and used to use elements

Things that interest me:Motorsports and most other sports too,Technology,Cycling and thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

ThOnda. I have found interest in visual arts at university. Still using the same film Pentax MZ-6, mostly with 28-70/4 lens. I was heavy influenced by my local photoclub and the whole documentary photography.

My main topics are:
    • people
    • documents
    • structures

I like meeting people although I tend to forget links among names-nicks-faces. Few of my pictures are on my Flickr account. I suck at any of the post processing programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

The name is Darren and I've been into photography for 20 years now. Only took up digital 2 years ago. My weapon of choice is a Nikon D300 with various lenses.

I will take a photo of just about anything but my 'current' favourites are

- Macro
    - Landscape
    - Wildlife
    - Architecture

I don't have any real influences plus I'm terrible at remembering photographers names but in saying that I have been influenced by a few of the photographers here. I use CS3 and lightroom for my processing. My photoblog is updated regularly and I prefer to use pixie over flickr.

I've been to quite a lot of the meets and even organised a few of them. I don't post as regularly here but I still lurk.

Cue, cheesy portrait shot :p
    6162930372EC4E009B51E2AD2B947B3E-500.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have only recently become active on this site even though I joined back in 2006, shortly after I moved to Ireland from Australia.

Started off using a Box Brownie way back when I was a kid in the late 60's. I remember the first time I used it was on a family outing to Katoomba. A few years later I started to use my Fathers F Series Nikon gear. I soon started to use it more than he did & so eventually bought it all off him. The old Nikons were a very solid piece of kit. They were all manual. You really had to learn about exposure & focus first back then as there was no Auto Settings. I still have all that kit back in Australia. I used to mainly shoot Kodachrome transparencies back then. I did look at some Olympus cameras but did not like the way the Auto worked & stuck with the F until in 1989 I bought the Nikon F801 which back then was an awsome piece of kit. I used to shhot a lot of Motor Sports & also take some photos in Caves. Later I got into Scuba Diving & got myself a used Nikonus III. Did not really do too well with the underwater lark as I did not have the funds for a decent strobe.
    I sort of drifted away from Photography in the mid 90's but became interested again when I got a very basic digital camera in 1997. It had terrible resolution but it was fun. It died a horrible death in a fight with a car door & with the insurance money I got a P&S Kodak DX3700 in 2001. Slightly less basic but I did get some good shots with that. In 2005 I moved into a DSLR with the Nikon D70S when I went on a trip to New Zealand. I only wish I had shot some of the stuff in NZ in RAW but back then all I could afford was a 1Gb card which I got cheap at over $100 (how times have changed!) & it had to last me two weeks.

In 2006 I moved to Dublin & soon after joined the Dublin Camera Club. Thanks to the many good photographers there & the program of good speakers I really started to learn a lot more about Photography. I also started to make a few suggestions about some things in the club & also organised a couple of trips. Towards the end of 2007 I was asked if I would consider nominating for the Council, which I did. I am tryimng to put back in what the club has given to me. The one thing that I did find as a new member of a large club is that it can be quite intimidating to start to show your work when others are at a much higher standard. One of the things I have been trying to do on Council is to make that journey easier for others.

So that is my Photographic journey in a nutshell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I'm Ian, I'm a 27 year old from Kerry.

Only been really into photography a few weeks, I am currently using a mates d50, but I am planning on picking up a d60 in the near future. At the moment I am so new to this I am shooting anything and everything, but I would love to get into Sports and Macro (When I have my own slr and can buy some lenses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

James, 24, Kilkenny. Check out my Bebo for pics and a deeper insight. Really really new to this photography malarky. Only got my current camera 2 months ago which sparked this interest. Normally I stuck with compact camera and only shot nights out on the beer etc. I'm starting to get very involved in photography and I'm beginning to learn a lot thanks to the photography forum.

I prefer;
    Landscapes
    Wildlife
    Nature

I primarily use Paint.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I am tall, grey/white-haired, 40s, cook, film editor & maker, husband, father, son, brother, Irish. I have a slight sibilance in my "s" because I have a slight chip out of my front tooth. I take pictures a lot, both film and digital, I have a slew of cameras lying about the place but mostly I use a bashed up D70 and an old Rolleicord V. I've been taking pictures for probably about thirty something years on and off, but was reborn about 5 years ago when I started taking them again in earnest. I've been doing creative work professionally for a long time and I rejoice in the fact that sometimes I'm reasonably good at it.

The reason I love photography is because it's for me (and those I care for) and I don't have to work to a brief, so it's pure expression rather than commercial creativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Hugh_C wrote: »
    I am ...

PS I'm the one on the right

2704965262_d02c159782_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

My name is Keith and I have been a Pro for one year at the end of the month

I shoot Equestrian sports also weddings/portraits/product shots/press and all the usual things the photographers do.

I started taking pictures of my Horse "Spirit" and it grew from there, I try to use the camera everyday and keep it interesting.

I am on the right :)
    2317564342_34e5f87ced.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm John (duh) and I'm a scientist, musician and a volunteer music journalist. I have only recently got into photography in any detailed sense. I'd been using point and click cameras (both digital and film) for years and decided in January that I'd like a real camera that you can adjust things on. So I asked for a recommendation here and got one (a Canon 400D) and I'm happy tinkering around with it. Still don't full understand a lot of what it's supposed to do but it's coming along slowly. I keep meaning to go out with you lot on a boards photo thing but never think of it.

I like taking photos of:
    • Gigs
    • Nature
    • Macro
    • Science
    • Mundane objects

The obligatory face to go with the name (I'm the mammal):
    2539472607_3ceee08134.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

The obligatory face to go with the name (I'm the mammal):
    blast I was hoping you were the moth!

I'm Joe from Louth, I wasn't really interested in photography until about 2 years ago when I started on a prosumer Fujis5600, I got into film in my 'forensic imaging' module and bought a 2nd hand Nikon F70. From there it evolved to digital (loved digital but love SLR-focus and stuff like that) Illford xp2 is my favourite film! I recently got a 2nd hand F80 and battery grip from flea-bay for €40 euro and I love it. (pity there's nowhere decent to get film done round where I live :( )

I have emigrated to a mac 9 months ago but still like my pc for editing pics (bigger HDD and gfx card)

If I'm not in photography then I'm in the AH forums the Mac forums and possibly the religion forums.

I like to take pics of bugs, macros of stuff and I want to do portraits but at the moment they are limited to the puppy !!

I have a website

I got sick so have to sit an exam in sept but then I will hopefully have my degree! (and I shuld be studying not mucking about on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

I'm Alex, 26, Dublin.

Have a degree in Business Administration, currently work as a TM in one of the largest companies in Ireland.

Bought my first camera last year, since then it is my obsession. All I know, I've learned from the internet and magazines.

Photography is a hobby for me and I photograph mostly for myself, sometimes a gig or a private photoshoot.

Currently I enjoy taking photos of city and portraits.

That's me: 14899878@N08.jpg?1192050891#14899878@N08

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm Stephen (surprise surprise), 25 from Kilkenny. I've been farting about with P&S cameras for years but only really got into photography when I got my beloved D50 just under 2 years ago. I have not yet been on any boards photo expeditions. I'm also rubbish at post processing.

I take most of my photos when travelling, and I particularly like night shots. I also like to shoot motorsport but the only event that ever really happens near me is the Faugheen 50 road races, so I don't have a lot of that. Most of what I've learned I learned here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭labbad

My name is Brendan and I live now in South Kilkenny via Killarney, Cork, and Thomastown.

Retired a few years ago.

Labbad comes from the first initials of my kids names, first e-mail address years ago with my first computer, still using it for odds and ends. [/SIZE][/FONT]

I got my first camera in 1961 can’t for the life of me remember the make but you opened the front and the lens came out at the end of a bellows, I’ve had an on and off love affair with photography since then.

Kids mortgage etc puts a damper on purchasing an upmarket camera so retirement and reared family has left me free to expand a little from compacts.

This year I purchased a Canon 400D a tripod (cheapy) and a few other odds and ends.

My main interests are travel and I want to develop my photography I also did a degree course in W. I. T. since retirement and am on my way back in September to do another one (keep me off the street corners) .

Have a look here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/labbad/[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Im Seán, 22 from Finglas.

I was a nursing student until last year, but left to join Communications, which I will start this year.

I have my D80 camera 6 moths now and really enjoy it as a hobby. I don't take as many shots as I'd like, but I aim to rectify this when the winter draws in and I can get around to night-scape urban shots - safely!

I love portraits too, but can't seem to get people to pose without getting them drunk. My other main area of interest is concert photography and having taken the advice from these boards and a few UK mags and have gotten in contact with a few unsigned bands for gig shoots. Hopefully these will go well!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mehfesto/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

1430685244_c87aea4ac8.jpg

I'm Mark, twenty seven years of this Earth and from the great city of Galway. My actual presence here is somewhat intermittent due to location (I live in Las Vegas, USA), lack of equipment, free time and interest in the photographic opportunities I have right now, but when I can I shoot infrared landscapes and still life and anything else which crosses my interest.

http://www.bhalash.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

Hey All,

I'm Debbie, from Finglas originally, working in eBay during the day and I try to get out to take photos as much as possible in my spare time.

I've been in to photography for years, currently using a 350D with a small selection of lenses.

I have a website, although it aint finished yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

kate,
    got my first (barbie) camera when i was about 6, then had just several crappy ones including a p&s, then last december took the plunge with a D40

am still trying to find my feet with SLR photography

mainly take

landscapes, shots around the house etc
    am trying to get more into portraits and the times i did take them i really enjoyed it.

hoping to study photography in college,going into 6th year on wed! :O, am starting a portfolio course on the 22nd of sept as i have no idea where to begin!

have to say i've gotten some great advice and tips here from both lurking and posting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

4922980360a7416460753l.jpg

I'm 27 years old and spend 40 hours a week dealing with statistical modeling. I spend about 28 hours a week sleeping and for the other hundred i'm normally up to something. The gym and photography, gigs and museum trips, sitting in on shoots and anything else. I have always been creative and outlets have included music, painting, drawing (terribly) and writing.

I was inspired to take my first "non party" photo by my flatmate who is also my strongest resource for photographic knowledge, advice and challenges. This board is a close second.

The strong influence on my preferred style is Ross Waldron. I'm a massive fan of horror, comics and film and often aim to replicate the various styles from all these media that have influenced me.

I love film but i have not watched tv since January. I'm currently working on an online comic/novel project on a different forum on this board.

My favourite subject to photograph are people and if i can get that in a horror setting then so much the better. I also love sunrises and sunsets and will normally try to either tell a story or express a strong emotion in most of my shots.

I'm currently using a bridge camera, putting some money aside as i can to move up to a decent dSLR.

I love music and find if i have to go a day without hearing some it gets me down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

kateos2 wrote: »
    kate,

hoping to study photography in college,going into 6th year on wed! :O, am starting a portfolio course on the 22nd of sept as i have no idea where to begin!

Concentrate on those studies first though, you've all your life for photography afterwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

DarrenG wrote: »
    6162930372EC4E009B51E2AD2B947B3E-500.jpg

Cool pic and nice shirt!! Me likes...

Dragan, you scare me:P

Erm, i've posted so i may as well introduce myself. I'm Daniel, 24 years old from Dublin but currently residing in Canada, until the 27th Sept at least. I don't do a whole lot but my first love is music and i am a musician myself.

I'm more of an observer than a photographer, i have a great respect for photography and believe it is a true art. Right now i'm more of a point and shoot guy but at some stage in the future i would love to get myself a ''proper'' camera and take it more seriously.

Greatest pleasures derive from gigs, portraits, landscapes and B&W in general.

Obligatory emo shot.

MeMyselfandI-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Peadar, IT Consultant, from West Cork, based out of Dublin, currently working in West Yorkshire.
    Was always interested in photography, but never imagined I'd be so consumed by it. Used to take pictures at car rallies, using a film compact. Took a lend of my neighbours Canon SLR in the early 90's & was blown away by the results.

In 2000 I got compensation from Lufthansa for having to travel in the jump seat, because they couldn't accommodate me on a business class ticket. I took the money & went straight round to the Duty Free, where I bought a Canon EOS 300.

I was spending a fortune on film & processing, so within 3 years, I had moved on to the Canon 300D.

Sport was the driving force behind my passion for photography, but I've made every effort to diversify.

I've had images published in several national & local newspapers, as well as advertising & media campaigns. My work would probably be considered more of a visual record than art.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

Louise from Dublin. *Borrowed* a film camera from my Dad a good few years back now. Bought my own flim camera (Minolta) and took more photos around Dublin and on holidays. Got my first Dslr about 2 years ago now and have had an empty wallet as a result ever since!

There is nothing specific that I photograph. I've done a few gigs this year and really enjoyed that (wouldn't mind doing a few more). I have recently gotten interested in photographing wildlife/birds but at the very early stages at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

930502389_bebb8dbb37.jpg

Paul from Dublin.

Always interested in photography but used program modes or compact camera's. I had a good eye for shots but didn't understand why I didn't capture what I saw all the time. It wasn't until last year when I invested in a 350D and did a photography course that I realised what was involved in trying to capture what I saw. I still make mistakes but do have an idea of what I have done wrong these days.

I have upgraded to a 40D and still getting used to it, I love street photography and trying to capture things from interesting angles. I have yet to try some gig photography or sports but will try to expand to those in the future.

Photography is purely a hobby and creative outlet for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Culann

Simon, late 30's, originally from England, but living in Kildare for the last 5 years and working for a large company in Clondalkin.
    Currently use a 350d, but am hoping to move on to a 40d soon. I only take photos for a hobby and have no real plans to change that. I have a photoblog that I try and post to regularly as I find it makes me go out and take photos.
    I've been a member here for a while, but I'm more of a lurker, too much of one really. I still have to attend an expedition, but my shifts make it awkward...
    I am interested in taking any kind of photo, but I'd really like to try a model shoot one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Callum, 17, Westmeath, going into 6th year at 8:55am.. :pac:

Always fiddled with cameras at weddings/family events/etc etc, got my trusted 400D (as an awesome gift) last august in china.. moving onwards and upwards since. Next is probably a 40D..

I'll shoot whatever, but Irelands pissy weather isn't exactly a great inspiration..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭nilhg

John, 40 something, married, kids, teenagers, based in Co. Kildare, am a farmer.

Started off with various 35mm compacts until a friend of mine brought me home a Fuji S5000 from the states.
    Just before Xmas '05 I had very good night at the dogs in Newbridge (myself and my father keep a few greyhounds), and rather than give it all back to the bookies in dribs and drabs, I splashed out on a Olympus E500, which I've since upgraded to an E510, and added a few lenses.

I shoot mainly landscapes, nature and some family stuff, though I would like to do some more travel stuff.

Just a hobby for me, I'm happy enough to potter around in my own free time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Nmae is Tom.

Got into photography rather late, was a night out snapping whore for years, then took a few gig shots with a crappy ixus one night, realised i wanted more, got a d50 and have been rather odsessed ever since.

2509256163_8091e8a867.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

My name is Shane, Ive been around this forum for a good while now but more as a lurker!
    I'm from Dublin but based in Cork, just finished a degree in Fine Art Media in the National College of Art and Design(NCAD) last year and before that I was in CSN in Cork doing Art and design.

I have a few film cameras but mainly work with digital these days for ease.
    I Work with a d70's and a large selection of lenses.

I mainly like working with people or in very dark conditions with little light lately.
    Started working with a lighting kit lately on product work and corportate stuff as to fund my addiction also head barman in one of Corks biggest venues and started modeling again.

And heres the pic
    411687769_c818e6edcf.jpg

Advertisement