Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants

Options
  • 22-08-2008 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭

Quick question lads, hope you can help. I forgot to water the plants for the old man for nearly a week. Watered them there and some look a little brown around the edges. They are in one of those plastic greenhouses. Are they going to die?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Wagon wrote: »
    Quick question lads, hope you can help. I forgot to water the plants for the old man for nearly a week. Watered them there and some look a little brown around the edges. They are in one of those plastic greenhouses. Are they going to die?

Depends on the plant, i.e. for cacti, no problem, for tomatoes maybe big problem. You are fortunate that the weather has been so dull lately as the evaporation rates won't have been so high. Browning at the leaf edges is, usually, a sign of lack of water, with tomatoes it is exacerbated by salt because of the frequent feeding. Plunge the pot into a bucket of water and leave it until it is saturated, you can tell this by when the air bubbles stop, then put the plants in a shaded position for a day or two to recover. Tomatoes, and I'm assuming they are tomatoes, are an exception to this and should be watered gradually, as sudden saturation can cause problems including splitting of the fruit.

Advertisement