Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving into the yellow box when lighs ahead are red

Options
  • 22-08-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Consider the following scenario.

2550471047a8711266714l.jpg

This is encountered on the Clonshaugh route. My instructor told me that when lights go green, I (blue car) cannot turn left because the other lights are red. Normally I would but in a test it is a fail.

He said I should move out into the box and wait for the other set of lights to go green, Is this right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭j1979p

Actually, he said just to pull up beside the box, not to enter it. Filter light or not, the other lights will stil be red so you cannot enter the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm not following you. Surely the other lights only affect the red car in your picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stark wrote: »
    I'm not following you. Surely the other lights only affect the red car in your picture?
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Get a different instructor!!

He is competely wrong!

At least we know who's teaching these people to do this :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Ehhh, so this green light, what is the point of it if you can't move off? Just to turn right?

I see people do this many times....traffic light across from the T junction, in your example directly across from the blue car, goes green, i.e. go left or right....but they turn left and stop for the red light to the left or right, which in your example is across from the other car, most of the time you would not be even able to see this red light, it usually happens when pedestrians are waiting to cross....it confuses people...if you were not meant to go the light would not go green, if either side has pedestrian crossing, then your light and the other cars light directly across will stay red, until the pedestrians light turn back to red....as far as I know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The reason the box is there imho,is to prevent cars blocking the junction when the lights are green,from the red car's direction,and ensure cars from the blue cars direction can go, when they get the green.

I never heard such rubbish as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ClioV6 wrote:
    Get a different instructor!!

He is competely wrong!

At least we know who's teaching these people to do this

Out of curiosity, what junction is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thats bizarre... If it was me, I'd say my light is green, so I go !! (And I guarantee if I didn't, I'd have every car behind beeping at me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Stark wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what junction is it?

Ah, not familiar with this particular one, but anyone from Carlow will vouch for me on a very similar(if not exact one) as this where people do the exact same as the OPs instructor is telling them to do.
    Very annoying.

• Advertisement

Happens down near me, northwood park dublin going onto the swords road....no yellow box, but that does not matter really in this example.....another thing people do is the car from the right would just go through a red light at the initial lights, reach the second set (to the left of the blue car) stop at the red....you get the green light, you turn left, they go nowhere as they only see the red light.....you end up beebing them and they think you are in the wrong trying to get them go through a red light.....very annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

j1979p wrote: »

This is encountered on the Clonshaugh route. My instructor told me that when lights go green, I (blue car) cannot turn left because the other lights are red. Normally I would but in a test it is a fail.

He said I should move out into the box and wait for the other set of lights to go green, Is this right?
    What other lights?
    Are you missing a left filter light here?
    The red lights you show are not facing the blue car, how can they possibly be meant to stop the blue car (unless it does a u-turn though the box ending up at red car position:rolleyes:)

If traffic was backed up to the box on the left hand turn for the blue car, then the blue car couldnt turn left into the box on a green light for it.
    Is that what you are getting it confused with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

there must be a filter involved in these set of lights or this is a very bad instructor all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

That is idiotic. Change instructors immediately.

From marking test guidlines - Hazards
    Examples of 'React' faults include:

Where an applicant has commenced to turn at traffic lights and stops unnecessarily when part way through, on seeing the red light for the other road.

chris85 wrote: »
    there must be a filter involved in these set of lights or this is a very bad instructor all together.
    Even if there was a filter light it would be irrelevant as the OP's instructor said that he/she can't go because the lights for the other direction are red.

This type of muppetry seems to be on the increase in the past few years. It also happens regularly at a juction is Swords (Co Dublin) at the junction of Malahide Road with Main Street. Traffic waiting on the Malahide Road get a right directional GREEN arrow to turn onto Main Street. Every now and then the first car almost completes the turn but then stops (at the gate to the Old Boro School) because there is a RED light in front of them!

A few days ago, I was about four cars back when the first driver stopped. There was the usual sounding of horns but she was having none of it and kept pointing to the RED light. A Garda on foot patrol approached her and gestured in no uncertain terms for her to move. She refused but by that time they had changed (for the other direction) to GREEN anyway but the Garda signaled her to pull over nearby presumably to have a word with her.

Is there a batch of instructors out there peddling this nonsense?

Coming off the clonliffe road coming right into drumcondra, people do the same thing, idiots...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I hope I never encounter any of the people "instructed" by these scam artists out on the road.

Situations like this are proof that the new laws regarding learners being accompanied by experienced full license drivers should be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

do people seriously do this? how do they get around places like Dublin with traffic lights on nearly ever corner? Seriously if you couldn't turn left until first the lights facing you went green and then the lights on your left went green then only one car would be able to turn left at a time and you'd never get anywhere. Plus if its only one lane of traffic you'd be blocking all the cars behind you intending to go straight on. Its just silly, get a new instructor op.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Actually, this is something i've begun to notice recently, people half completing a turn and stopping because of a red light not directed at the driver. OP get a new driving instructor, if this is the advise you're getting then it sounds like a waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

This is the greatest load of sh1te I have ever heard :mad: The 2nd, left hand side, set of red lights is for the red car in your pic. In any case, you can not stop in a yellow box unless you're turning right and the road you intend to enter is not blocked up.

Change driving instructors immediately.

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    how do they get around places like Dublin with traffic lights on nearly ever corner?
    I've often wondered that also as presumably they do it at each T- junction they encounter.

And anyway, why do they only seem to do it at T- junctions? Surely their warped principle should also apply at standard crossroads traffic lights yet I've never seen it happen on one of those.

The sad thing about it is that those people probably go home and tell their family/friends that they encountered some rude people today who don't know what a RED light means! :eek:

Thanks for the advise guys. Thats what I was thinking. He actually said that people had failed because they did this in the test (i.e. turning left when the lights were green!). He said when u encounter these red lights halfway through turning, you should stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks for the advise guys. Thats what I was thinking. He actually said that people had failed because they did this in the test (i.e. turning left when the lights were green!). He said when u encounter these red lights halfway through turning, you should stop.

:eek:
    Get a new instructor!

He said when u encounter these red lights halfway through turning, you should stop.
    Mother of sweet divine Jesus! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Do instructors have any kind of professional body that this nonsense could be reported to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Is his name in either of the " List of Instructors with Temporary permits" or List of Full permit holders on the RSA web site. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

Mother of sweet divine Jesus! :eek:
    My thoughts exactly.
    And I thought MY first driving instructors were brutal :eek:

J_R wrote: »
    Is his name in either of the " List of Instructors with Temporary permits" or List of Full permit holders on the RSA web site. ??

Not sure, all I know is that he runs his own little business and he is the only instructor as far as i am aware. Everything else he said seemed to agree with what i know from other sources. Just this one thing I was confused about when he said it (on both my lessons).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Not sure, all I know is that he runs his own little business and he is the only instructor as far as i am aware. Everything else he said seemed to agree with what i know from other sources. Just this one thing I was confused about when he said it (on both my lessons).
    Are you sure he is not just a qualified diving instructor?

Tell him to come on boards (pun unintended) and explain himself to the jury.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Jesus christ almighty why do people spend so much time disussing this ****e....a yellow painted box on the road???

Surely you've better things to worry about :rolleyes:

Advertisement