Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

indicating on turnabout?

Options
  • 22-08-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

My instructor told me to do so. I never see it mentioned in any training videos however. Does anyone know if it is necessary and would they mark you if you didn't indicate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

You don't have to, but you can....on the first and last movement...I did it, caused no problems...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Just indicate initially to signal that you are moving out. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Tri wrote: »
    Just indicate initially to signal that you are moving out. That's all.

You have (hopefully) looked all around the car, way is clear, so who are you signalling ??

However on the last leg, you should indicate as there may be traffic approaching in the distance who might benefit.

But in the test best to signal both times

Turnabout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

I had an instructor who told me to not bother signalling because if I have checked for traffic then there should be nothing coming.

Stupid really in my opinion, you may aswell drive through red lights at 4am because there's no cars around.

I always signal when pulling away from the kerb and then the last bit of the turnabout after I have reversed. It's just safer, you may have missed a car coming in your observations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

J_R wrote: »
    You have (hopefully) looked all around the car, way is clear, so who are you signalling ??[/URL]

Driving round I often find myself on quite roads with no traffic but I still signal when turning regardless. Its just better to be in the habit of always indicating when your suppose to rather then just doing it when other cars are around, you never know what you might have missed or whats coming around a corner and if your not in the habit of doing it you might forget at times when you should be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Okay, just my tu'pence worth. I would always indicate when moving off from a kerb. I can't see why it would be frowned upon, i would see it as good driving practise myself. The only manoeuvre i wouldn't indicate on in a test would be the reversing around corner, as you are not moving off from the kerb, and the reversing lights would suffice as indication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

J_R wrote: »
    You have (hopefully) looked all around the car, way is clear, so who are you signalling ??

However on the last leg, you should indicate as there may be traffic approaching in the distance who might benefit.

But in the test best to signal both times

Turnabout
    I meant if your car is stationary and you are moving out to do a turnabout - then indicate accordingly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

The only manoeuvre i wouldn't indicate on in a test would be the reversing around corner, as you are not moving off from the kerb, and the reversing lights would suffice as indication.

hmm.... Interesting... When I got lessons a few mopnths ago, my instructor nmever mentioned indicated on the reverse around the corner, in fact I asked about that and he said no, don't indicate.... However I am now getting lessons again, from a new instructor who says I SHOULD indicate on the reverse around the corner...

What she said is - obviously I turn my left indicator on to pull into the left (in order to set up for the reverse) she said I should then leave my left indoicator on.... Reverse... While leaving the indicator on, she said if it flicks off (as my indicator has a tendency to do!) Then don't worry about it but I must ensure to put the (left) indicator on again once finished the maneourve and sitting on the left side of the road.... Comments?

Op, regards the turnabout, just indicate when moving away from the kerb, and obviously again afterwards if pulling into the side upon complation of the turnabout (you may asked to jsut continue on instead of pulling in again) On the turnabout, just away remember to check your blindspot/over your right shoulder before pulling out...) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Signal when moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

xeroshero wrote: »
    hmm.... Interesting... When I got lessons a few mopnths ago, my instructor nmever mentioned indicated on the reverse around the corner, in fact I asked about that and he said no, don't indicate.... However I am now getting lessons again, from a new instructor who says I SHOULD indicate on the reverse around the corner...

What she said is - obviously I turn my left indicator on to pull into the left (in order to set up for the reverse) she said I should then leave my left indoicator on.... Reverse... While leaving the indicator on, she said if it flicks off (as my indicator has a tendency to do!) Then don't worry about it but I must ensure to put the (left) indicator on again once finished the maneourve and sitting on the left side of the road.... Comments?

Op, regards the turnabout, just indicate when moving away from the kerb, and obviously again afterwards if pulling into the side upon complation of the turnabout (you may asked to jsut continue on instead of pulling in again) On the turnabout, just away remember to check your blindspot/over your right shoulder before pulling out...) :)

Eh i said, "I wouldn't indicate reversing around the corner" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Eh i said, "I wouldn't indicate reversing around the corner" :)

Yea, I know, thats what Im saying - my new instructor said I SHOULD indicate on my reverse around the corner?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

Easy Rider wrote: »
    You don't have to, but you can....on the first and last movement...I did it, caused no problems...
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I was told you only indicate onto a roundabout if yer taking the 3rd or higher turnoff, like when yer going into the inside lane. If yer taking yer 1st or 2nd turn off u just indicate when leaving the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

:Dthats wat i said just in more detail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Okay, just my tu'pence worth. I would always indicate when moving off from a kerb. I can't see why it would be frowned upon, i would see it as good driving practise myself. The only manoeuvre i wouldn't indicate on in a test would be the reversing around corner, as you are not moving off from the kerb, and the reversing lights would suffice as indication.

i agree. what if there are people in parked cars also looking to move off...indicating would give them a signal.

Advertisement