Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crank arm problem on fixie ... help!

Options
  • 22-08-2008 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

The left crank arm thingy off my fixie is about 1 cm off compared to the right one, making my pedaling quite unconfortable, as my leg is not pedaling straight. I hope this makes sense ..

How can I rectify it? Push it in or something. Got bad cramps during my spin tonight on the left calf ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The left crank arm thingy off my fixie is about 1 cm off compared to the right one, making my pedaling quite unconfortable, as my leg is not pedaling straight. I hope this makes sense ..

How can I rectify it? Push it in or something. Got bad cramps during my spin tonight on the left calf ...

What do you mean by off? they aren't in a straight line, or the left one is wider than the right? Can you show us a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

What do you mean by off? they aren't in a straight line, or the left one is wider than the right? Can you show us a picture?
    Yes the left is 1 cm wider from the rest of the crank.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It sounds like the crank arm just isn't pushed in to the bottom bracket far enough. You should be able to shove it in (and by shove I mean coax in a way that won't ruin the crank!)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Are your crank bolts tightened properly - even if they weren't this wouldn't account for 10mm difference.

Put each pedal upmost and parallel with the seat tube and measure the seperation between seat tube and crank - that would be the easiest way to tell the difference in crank positions. Maybe it's just different from your road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Depends on a lot of different thing.. Make/model or measurements taken, even a picture would help!

Prolly needs to be tightened via crank bolts but I reckon if you've had the bottom bracket replaced at any stage, that could be the problem!

Normally you'd adjust one side to get your chainline right (if it's a conversion fixie), but to get that right on one side, and might have forgotten (not focused on) the measurements on the left (non-drive) side. You want your feet to be as close to each other as possible to have a natural pedal like when you're walking.

Basically, I think it could be your bottom bracket, that's what I'd have a look at if you've tightened the crankbolts and it's still off.

Hope this helps! Lettuce know how you get on, wanna know how this can be solved..

• Advertisement
Advertisement