Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Internet Question

Options
  • 22-08-2008 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Okay so my knowledge of internet connection stuff is pretty lacking...

Basically I am getting a new laptop soon (with all this thing: "Dell Wireless 1510 802.11n Half Mini-Card" and presumably other standard connection bits... it's a Dell Studio) and I was just wondering what's the easiest way to get it hooked up to the internet at home...

For my PC I have some sort of broadband Netopia thing (with "Ethernet" and "DSL" lights flashing, from what I can make out...) and I also have something called a "Dell Wireless D1450U USB Adapter" lying around that I've never used before...

In short, do I need to buy more hardware/change connection or will the above mentioned allow me to get wireless?

Also, I live right next less than 200metres from an IT so is there even a possibility that I could feed off some of their wireless?

Any help appreciated! Apologies for the complete ignorance!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

macgowan wrote: »
    Okay so my knowledge of internet connection stuff is pretty lacking...

Basically I am getting a new laptop soon (with all this thing: "Dell Wireless 1510 802.11n Half Mini-Card" and presumably other standard connection bits... it's a Dell Studio) and I was just wondering what's the easiest way to get it hooked up to the internet at home...

For my PC I have some sort of broadband Netopia thing (with "Ethernet" and "DSL" lights flashing, from what I can make out...) and I also have something called a "Dell Wireless D1450U USB Adapter" lying around that I've never used before...

In short, do I need to buy more hardware/change connection or will the above mentioned allow me to get wireless?

Also, I live right next less than 200metres from an IT so is there even a possibility that I could feed off some of their wireless?

Any help appreciated! Apologies for the complete ignorance!

What model is the Netopia router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭macgowan

Um from what I can make out... Cayman 3300 Series... That right??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

macgowan wrote: »
    Um from what I can make out... Cayman 3300 Series... That right??

That's the series, not the model, but if it's one of these, it supports wireless.

http://netopia.com/support/hardware/3300_wireless.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

If you really hare clueless about wireless then get it working on a wired connection first, that way we can get the connection working set up a wireless key that you can cut and paste to the laptop and not have any of the usual mistakes :rolleyes:.

No point explaining how to set up the wireless side if you can't get the internet up and running on a wired link first, once that is happening let us all know I I'm sure you'll get a swift responce as how to set up the wireless access.

Advertisement