Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lissadell estate roe deer

Options
  • 22-08-2008 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

in about 1870 roe were introduced to lissadell they were in ireland for about 50 years the last one shot in 1930 s ,i have seen some of the heads but does any one have any info on the rest of them or there where abouts ,also how many deer there was on the estate at the time .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

JW
    There was somthing in an ISD on this.See if I can dig them out for you.
    Later...Here you go ISD Jan 2004.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

jwshooter wrote: »
    in about 1870 roe were introduced to lissadell they were in ireland for about 50 years the last one shot in 1930 s ,i have seen some of the heads but does any one have any info on the rest of them or there where abouts ,also how many deer there was on the estate at the time .

jwshooter would the Game Keeper files and paper work of the Lisadell Estate be available.

I have an old Roe Buck head that was shot here in Ireland and I would be interested in finding out where it came from.

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Sikamick wrote: »

jwshooter would the Game Keeper files and paper work of the Lisadell Estate be available.

I have an old Roe Buck head that was shot here in Ireland and I would be interested in finding out where it came from.

Sikamick

what could have been,, thanks grizzly .mick a friend of mine has a head from lissadell too .i am very interested in your head any info on it or a pic .does the state lissadell now .i shot fallow in sligo last season lovely county

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Photos attachment, I will have to speak to the person I got from to get some
    History.

Sikamick

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/58175/61926.jpg

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/58175/61927.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

The estate was sold approx. 3 years ago to two barristers, a number of the Roe heads that were shot on the estate were auctioned off in a public auction in the house after the new owners took posession of the estate. There was a number of lots in the auction in relation to shooting and fishing memorabilia.

• Advertisement

Sikamick wrote: »
    Photos attachment, I will have to speak to the person I got from to get some
    History.

Sikamick

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/58175/61926.jpg

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/58175/61927.jpg
    mick your a lucky man ,envy ,, never part with it . its history on your wall i will find out more on them tommra as i will be talking to my friend regards jw

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Their is ment to be a rake of muntjack in wicklow, mate shot 3 last season..they were introduced a while back.
    As for roe, their is a load in meath and in the north..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Roe in meath?? first ive heard of it, where in meath?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Roe in meath?? first ive heard of it, where in meath?

Now, that would be telling...:p
    Go out and look about..;)

Unless somone has a smuggled a few in.There are NONE native to Ireland.
    All the NI fieldsports pages on deer hunting give the same info NO Roe deer in N Ireland either.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

Have you personally seen any of the Muntjac that were shot by your mate and have you seen any of the Roe either. There are Muntjac in Wicklow for sure, but i haven't heard of a single person shooting 3 in a season. I only know of one that was shot and i personally saw it and photographed it. Do you have any photos to back this up? I hear these stories all the time but nobody ever backs them up with sound evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Do you have any photos to back this up? I hear these stories all the time but nobody ever backs them up with sound evidence.

I'm not commenting on whether there is or isn't roe/muntjac in Ireland.

I know I myself don't carry a decent camera out shooting so it is credible that if someone saw one they wouldn't have the gear to take a shot of one. Although if they're shot and brought home then taking pics would be easy.

John some of your pics are fantastic and you're clearly quite into the photography. Any suggestions for a cheap way to photograph deer sized animal from maybe 300 yards??

Was out on a pre season walk about yesterday and spotted 10 female reds lying out in the sun. Would have loved to take pics (not anything you'd consider decent quality now, more for my records) but don't want to spend big money.

Would just like to get a pic to throw on a forum, keep in shooting diary etc.

Get A bino Cam.about 100/140 euros on ebay for the cheaper mods.They have the advantage of being light and combining a camera and average binos in one. And if by some odd chance you have acess to the net and alaptop/pda while out hunting:eek:.You can upload stills or live feed clips to the net rightaway.They arent the most robust thing,well the electronic one isnt.The old chemical film job is a Tasco binocam and is sturdy uses the old Kodack film rolls,and gives pretty good pics.Just need to be developed.

Have you personally seen any of the Muntjac that were shot by your mate and have you seen any of the Roe either. There are Muntjac in Wicklow for sure, but i haven't heard of a single person shooting 3 in a season. I only know of one that was shot and i personally saw it and photographed it. Do you have any photos to back this up? I hear these stories all the time but nobody ever backs them up with sound evidence.
    DONT TELL HIM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

If someone did come across roe or muntjac is there any restrictions on how or when you can take them?

yes as deer they are protected under our wildlife act and there is no open season on them so they can not be shot /hunted .interesting that as the one that was shot with a 223 at nite ,did any one look into that .:mad:

Vegeta wrote: »
    I'm not commenting on whether there is or isn't roe/muntjac in Ireland.

I know I myself don't carry a decent camera out shooting so it is credible that if someone saw one they wouldn't have the gear to take a shot of one. Although if they're shot and brought home then taking pics would be easy.

John some of your pics are fantastic and you're clearly quite into the photography. Any suggestions for a cheap way to photograph deer sized animal from maybe 300 yards??

Was out on a pre season walk about yesterday and spotted 10 female reds lying out in the sun. Would have loved to take pics (not anything you'd consider decent quality now, more for my records) but don't want to spend big money.

Would just like to get a pic to throw on a forum, keep in shooting diary etc.

300 meters is a long way for any camera/ lens set up. I'm not that well up on taking average quality pictures with small compact cameras. My gear is very heavy and very expensive. I use a Canon 1D mkIIn, a Canon 20d, a Canon 600L f4 and a Canon 100-400L. These need serious tripods also and are very difficult to use but will produce fantastic images. I guess that any compact with a 10x optical zoom is the most suitable camera for your needs. Don't worry too much about mega pixels, anything around 6 million is enough, try to find one with image stabilization and stick with the big name brands for quality. Look up some reviews on the net, steves cameras is a good one.
    DONT TELL HIM :D

:p:)
    yes as deer they are protected under our wildlife act and there is no open season on them so they can not be shot /hunted .interesting that as the one that was shot with a 223 at nite ,did any one look into that .:mad:

It was a .22 hornet in daylight actually and no prosecution was taken against him, a decision that was taken at a high level. One would think you are very much pro Muntjac introduction by the way you are talking:D.

Hopefully there will be a fix for this soon in the wildlife act.

ASFIK,isnt there a special order from the minister on shooting them due to the fact they are an invasive species???Plus unless an animal is mentioned in the WF act 76,it doesn't have a protected status???

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ASFIK,isnt there a special order from the minister on shooting them due to the fact they are an invasive species???Plus unless an animal is mentioned in the WF act 76,it doesn't have a protected status???
    That ended at the end of March, there are now a number of people with S23 licences to shoot them. There is a committee working on this at the moment. Off the top of my head, in article 5 of the act it says all deer species and this was meant to cover the 3 we have, nobody thought of alien species when it was been written and any alien species of deer released are afforded total protection accidently and don't even have an open season because they are not on the open seasons order.

ARE we looking at there being actually a good pouplation of muntjac here?Or are we talking just a freak occurance of a single or pair being out there?Also in reality,are they really a major threat to the Irish enviroment?It's not likely that they would Xbreed with any other species ?

• Advertisement

heard noting about the hornet only it was at nite with a 223 ,only know what i was told ,like your self .the lurcher ask can roe and muntjac be taken and i gave a answer all deer in ireland are given protection under the wild life act and there is no season on them ,and if we put as much effort looking after the 3 speices of deer we have instead of looking for a new one, the deer will be better off .i wounder how many muntjac will be shot sunday nite next .any way the thread was about roe deer of lissadell

"Now, that would be telling...
    Go out and look about.."

Na, waste of time, definatley no roe deer in south of ireland, and wont change my mind until i see photographic evidence, and id say i will be even older and greyer before i see that.:rolleyes:

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    ARE we looking at there being actually a good pouplation of muntjac here?Or are we talking just a freak occurance of a single or pair being out there?Also in reality,are they really a major threat to the Irish enviroment?It's not likely that they would Xbreed with any other species ?

From the reported sightings there are quite a few! Nobody could put a figure on it, except maybe the people that released them. There is nothing from them to hybridise with here but they will cause massive damage to Native and semi native Woodlands and gardens and cereal crops. No real threat to forestry.

There is nothing from them to hybridise with here but they will cause massive damage to Native and semi native Woodlands and gardens and cereal crops. No real threat to forestry.

[/QUOTE]
    So really nothing more than the average deer could do then??

cry wolf once to often, i would say there is more wild boar than muntjac in the country thats of course if there is muntjac in the wild .i have stalking in north wexford and boar have been seen there ,

i would beieve boar and muntjac before roe, that is not the first time i have heard of boar in the wild but no proof yet, would i be right in thinking that roe and boar lived on this isle long ago?? a buddy of mine recons that boar and roe were native here thousands of yr ago

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

wild boar were native to ireland until the end of the 17th century
    it is believed that the last 1 was hunted and killed in north cork near Kanturk

Yes wildboar were native but were driven to extinction, Roe deer were not native but were introduced to Lissadell and population were shot out in the early 1900.
    Wild Boar have been released into the wild in Wicklow, I have video proof of them in the wild near where JWshooter is talking about. They were very tame so maybe they didn't survive.

How long ago? i thought they only lived in hardwood and pasture ground, no?

• Advertisement

How long ago? i thought they only lived in hardwood and pasture ground, no?

Around July 2007, anybody that want to see it? I have it on my phone, I'm at the Game fair in Birr this weekend and I have a stand in the big marquee.
    Yes they like hardwood, pasture and tillage and theres plenty of that on the wicklow/wexford border.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement