Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar mag recommendations

Options
  • 22-08-2008 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any good guitar magazine recommendations? I got a great mag in the states called Premier Guitar.

Some great articles and reviews. Haven't seen it in Ireland which is a pity. Believe it or not, a yearly subscription per the mag is less than $15.00:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i only get one if theres something interesting in it, like a new satriani album or vai interview id like... there usually full of the same old crap with the guitar heroes being rotated on the cover montly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

I know what you mean. The thing about this one though was the cost, just over a Dollar an issue. All the usual UK mags cost a fortune.

By the way, this crowd have a website were you can read the actual magazine and back issues for free. Premierguitar.com.

Have a look and tell me what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

I find the UK magazines a good deal better than anything I've ever had from the states. It depends what your looking for in a mag.
    Total Guitar, has loads of tabs and some good interviews. It's a good enough magazine but it's pretty much marketed towards the beginner to medium player. It's also very repetitive with some of the same people interviewed and some same songs tabbed about one issue a year.
    Guitarist is a big magazine that is pretty light on tabs, but boasts some hefty articles, interviews and gear reviews. It's seemed to be aimed at people a bit older than Total guitar readers.
    Guitar Techniques is one of my favourites. It's is pretty much all tabs and lessons. It's aimed toward serious players and they tend to cover a decent amount of genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Starting out a few years ago I found Total Guitar suited me down to the ground.
    Haven't bought one in ages though.
    Would only buy it depending on what songs they tabbed out.
    Expensive enough, think it's about €9 now, but, you get a cd with the tabbed tracks on it, including the tracks with the guitar removed.
    Some decent lessons on the cd at times too.
    A lot of the tabbed out tracks would be metal/rock but they usually throw in at least one non-metal/rock track.

Thanks for the input Demeyes and Deadskin. I imagine most of the 9 Euro is made up of tax. The Americans have it all sown up when it comes to buying anything to do with music.
    Got myself a nice Gibson SG while I was there for a fraction of the cost here. Somebody should set up a duty free musical instrument shop chain in the major airports of the world, they would make a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I like Guitar World. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Depends what you want in a mag really.

Guitar Techniques is good if you're trying to learn some new licks/theory/techniques, all that kind of stuff. But theres no real reading in it (i.e. sit-on-the-bog-type reading :pac:), its all fairly in depth heavy stuff.

Guitarist has loads of reading - interviews, gear reviews, all that sort of stuff. Real handy just to sit back and flick through every now and then. I think the reviews are very well written, they take a good intelligent look at all the products. Though they do have a definite bias towards UK-made gear.

Most of the American magazines are muck imo, full of drivel and endless articles about Dimebag Darrell :rolleyes: And an interview with Zakk Wylde pretty much every month :confused: They're cheap, but only because 50% of the pages are devoted to gear advertisements. I buy them the odd time, but only when there's nothing else in the shop. And their reviews are pretty crap compared to Guitarist.

Total Guitar..well, thats grand for beginners and youngsters, and thats who its aimed at I think.

Thats about the only ones I know about, theres a few other UK ones but ive never read them much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

What happened Total Guitar?????
    It used to be a great all rounder.....rock, blues, tv themes, monthly classic track.....

It's gone to hell.......too much metal. Sometimes there is about 75% in there. We are not all metallers that play the guitar, people.

Nothing you can't get off some good sites these days anyway.
    My subscription every 6 months goes to www.guitarmasterclass.net

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭boycey

I always get Guitarist and Guitar Buyer every month, Guitarist being my favourite. Well written, intelligent reviews, covering all the bases from beginners gear to seriously high end stuff. I very seldom look at the tab, I just cant learn stuff that way. Its either 'show me' or by ear. I'd agree with Voodoo about the bias towards UK stuff though.

By the way I have a big fat load of guitarist and guitar buyers from the last three or four years if any of ye want them. Theyre just taking up valuable wardrobe space at this stage.

boycey wrote: »
    I always get Guitarist and Guitar Buyer every month, Guitarist being my favourite. Well written, intelligent reviews, covering all the bases from beginners gear to seriously high end stuff. I very seldom look at the tab, I just cant learn stuff that way. Its either 'show me' or by ear. I'd agree with Voodoo about the bias towards UK stuff though.

By the way I have a big fat load of guitarist and guitar buyers from the last three or four years if any of ye want them. Theyre just taking up valuable wardrobe space at this stage.

I usually buy guitarist too. It's a good mag.

Charles Shaar Murray from Guitarist posts over at Harmony-Central a lot. Cool guy! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

the internet ruined guitar magazines, amongst a lot of other things but yep def guitar mags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Oscholar

Guitar World is the one I get every month, along with the quarterly mags like Guitar Legends and Acoustic Rock. It has the best tabs and great interviews, though there's a lot of 'flavour of the month' bands in it too. I used to get both Guitar Techniques and Total Guitar but not anymore. They are very good for covering all the techniques you need on guitar though. I have a big collection of both still that I return to all the time.

I don't think I've seen the guitar legends mag, I must check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Jonakin

I used to buy Total Guitar but i dont bother anymore cos its not worth it when you've got the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 young-angus

I have read a good one but it's only out in the north. If you are still intrested it's called Total Guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Young Angus, you can get Total Guitar in Mc Greevys shop in westport. Bit of a travel from ballina though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 young-angus

I'm going there. My friend told me that you can't get it down here. Do you like it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I'm going there. My friend told me that you can't get it down here. Do you like it?

Its a good magazine if your in to your rock and heavy metal and just want to learn songs. I prefer Guitar Techniques though. Some great articles in it on both technique and theory. The best thing to do would be to buy both magazines.

You could always subscribe to it young angus. Gets delivered straight to your door each month! :)

Advertisement