Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Online glitch reveals Sky customers' bank details

• 22-08-2008 11:50pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I read about this today
    SATELLITE broadcaster Sky television has launched an investigation after personal details including bank account numbers of 33 people from several areas of Wexford became available online.

Jim McMahon was looking up information on the area where he lived — Cois Mara housing estate in Rosslare Strand — when information on neighbours became available.

Mr McMahon claims that, since the problem was discovered, residents have been getting "silent" telephone calls.

"I did a search on the Google site. I put in the name of our estate, Cois Mara housing estate, to carry out a search to see if anything relating to the housing estate was available. The results came back in the form of a spreadsheet, while underneath on the sheet was the name and address of one of my neighbours.

"I clicked on it. As a result the name, address, landline and mobile telephone numbers, bank account number and banking sort code, were all available on the sheet. The spreadsheet had Sky account numbers on it and the prices on the sheet matched up with Sky prices."

Mr McMahon said he became alarmed with what he was seeing: "I found 32 different spreadsheets all with different names and personal details. I became alarmed and my wife went to the neighbours who were on the spreadsheet informing them that their personal details were available on the web."

"With such personal details available on the site it’s very serious. Anyone could have utilised those people’s accounts. When Sky was told about it, they took the information offline and basically said that was the end of the problem," he said.

According to Mr McMahon, neighbours believe this occurred as the result of a sales promotion by Sky when selling their services in the area. Names of people in Gorey, New Ross, Wexford town and Oulart were also on the spreadsheets.

"I have taken down the information for evidence. But since this has appeared on the site people are getting phone calls relating to this, while some of the calls are silent, which is quite frightening," he said.

A spokeswoman for Sky television said the problem arose with a website www.southsurffree.com owned by a "retail partner" of the satellite broadcaster. "There had been problems arising from the website from a security perspective," she said. "As soon as we heard about it, we contacted the business partner and arranged for them to take it down. We asked for a full investigation."

Sky said there wasn’t "a big number" of people involved and the issue was resolved as soon as they became aware of it.

Sky offered affected customers six months’ free subscription as a gesture of goodwill. "We take the issue of data security very seriously," said a Sky spokesperson.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

You must be reading some old newspapers.:)
    I read that a couple of weeks ago.

(Or maybe I thought I did and am actually clairvoyant)

Advertisement