Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiles coming off shower wall - any alternative?

Options
  • 23-08-2008 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi all - I have a 1960s house that I renovated a couple of years ago. I retiled the bathroom upstairs which has an electric shower in the bath (as opposed to a standalone shower). The wall the bath is attached to is an external wall, and for the second time in a year some of the tiles on the wall have become loose and are falling off. I'm not sure why this is happening as the tiler used a 'tanking system' which should have sealed the wall. He's a pretty good tiler and he said the same system is used in swimming pools. So what I'd like to know:

- What's causing the tiles to become loose
    - Is there a way to permanently fix it
    - Is there an alternative splashback type thing available for walls - maybe plastic or glass - that wouldn't keep coming off

Thanks in advance,

Ciaran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Is it plasterboard uder the tiles? 2 times in a year is odd, maybe the wrong type of adhesive for the surface was used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Is it plasterboard uder the tiles? 2 times in a year is odd, maybe the wrong type of adhesive for the surface was used

No it's a concrete wall underneath the tiles. It's only a certain number of tiles...they're 10 inch by 10 inch. 3 tiles from the bath up are loose and are hollow when tapped. The rest of the tiles up to the ceiling are solid when tapped and seem to be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

Best thing would be to go back to the place you bought the tiles and ask them. I'd say its either water coming through or a bad tiler

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

if it sounds hallow then th etiles havn't been stuck ont to the wall ... it nought got to do with the tiles

Best thing would be to go back to the place you bought the tiles and ask them. I'd say its either water coming through or a bad tiler

The tiler was my cousin...he's pretty good and has a fair few years under his belt. He doesn't know what it could be but he lives in the North and hasn't had time to come and look at them.
    if it sounds hallow then th etiles havn't been stuck ont to the wall ... it nought got to do with the tiles

The loose tiles were stuck on to the walls the same way as the rest of the tiles, but these ones specifically around the bath have come loose while the rest are sound.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

One pin hole in the grout is enough to bring those tiles down

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

It seems the hollow sound is where adhesive has not been spread correctly and has not alowed the tile to fully bond with the wall. However even the cheapest of bucket adhesives should last at least a year so im guessing some if not a significant amount of water penetration where the water is sitting and eating away at the adhesive. In my experience on a tanked surface to get a tough durable bond you must use a chemical adhesive or bagged adhesive which comes in powder form and is rapid setting. Once this cures the bond is like stone and will stand up to even the worst of leaks/water damage. The follow up to this is to use a reputable grout which at least provides some water resistance. The cheap readymixed tubs are just a waste of money and will casue you problems even in short term.

Regards
    Builditwell

It seems the hollow sound is where adhesive has not been spread correctly and has not alowed the tile to fully bond with the wall. However even the cheapest of bucket adhesives should last at least a year so im guessing some if not a significant amount of water penetration where the water is sitting and eating away at the adhesive. In my experience on a tanked surface to get a tough durable bond you must use a chemical adhesive or bagged adhesive which comes in powder form and is rapid setting. Once this cures the bond is like stone and will stand up to even the worst of leaks/water damage. The follow up to this is to use a reputable grout which at least provides some water resistance. The cheap readymixed tubs are just a waste of money and will casue you problems even in short term.

Regards
    Builditwell

Builditwell thanks very much, this sounds about right. I'm going to try and find a tiler to do a retile of the affected wall and tell him to use a bagged / chemical adhesive. Problem is trying to find someone to do a small job!

Advertisement