Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3g phone connected to laptop for internet

• 23-08-2008 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I believe that it is possible to connect your 3g phone to your laptop via bluetooth or similar and then use it to surf the web.

I am interested in hearing from people who have done this and any advice you would have for me. Particularly interested in good/bad experiences with particlar phones and I will probably have to buy one to make this work for me....so want to make sure I get one that works well! Ideally would like to keep the cost to a min!!

Cheers,
    Jab

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I would recommend a data plan for starters, data charges per kb are huge.

You will need a hsdpa enabled phone if you want the up to 3.6Mbps speeds advertised by the networks.

If you do not have a hsdpa phone, umts or "ordinary 3g" operates at speeds of up to 0.375Mbps.

Failing that, there is edge or gprs. Both are fine for the occasional browse and checking emails, but speeds can be similar to 56k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I've an HSDPA phone going cheap on Adverts at the moment.
    I use it as a modem via a USB cable with 3 PAYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Hi guys, thanks for that. Looks like I need a HSDPA phone so. Anyone recomend a really basic one. Long_b, yours is probably a little to advanced for the intended user! Something like the Nokia 6120 (http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4399252) would seem to be the job, but keen to hear peoples experiences before I purchase!

Thanks,
    Jab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

That's the one i'm selling - see my sig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I found this when researching the same topic (more or less). Its guide to connecting Macs to the Internet with a nokia via Bluetooth.
    http://www.felipe-alfaro.org/blog/2007/02/11/mac-os-x-bluetooth-and-nokia-umts-phones/

• Advertisement
Advertisement