Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Lack of Airplay

• 23-08-2008 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Why is it that there is no airtime given to metal by irish radio stations. Everytime a licence becomes available and a metal show is suggested it is rejected. The main reason given is that there wouldn't be a big enough audience. Instead we are flooded with one-hit wonder indie bands and a continous supply of current affairs programmes, there is so much you can spend on one topic during the week.

what is your opinion on this most important matter.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭suckslikeafox

keel08 wrote: »
    Why is it that there is no airtime given to metal by irish radio stations. Everytime a licence becomes available and a metal show is suggested it is rejected. The main reason given is that there wouldn't be a big enough audience. Instead we are flooded with one-hit wonder indie bands and a continous supply of current affairs programmes, there is so much you can spend on one topic during the week.

Answers in the question. The masses like their pop-sh*te and listeners means ad revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

keel08 wrote: »

It's not really important and Phantom has a metal show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think that for the most part, people who are really into their music probably won't listen to the radio anyway. I honestly cannot tell you when I last listened to the radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Answers in the question. The masses like their pop-sh*te and listeners means ad revenue

Very well said, and if there is any metal on the radio its usually just watered down mainstream stuff which sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

I think they are afraid of metal music taking off here in Ireland. Despite what people think metal is huge here. The underground scene is buzzing and the amount of cover bands is unreal. Unfortunately pop, hip hop, dance, indie, RnB are the most popular genre's here as they appeal to the masses. There is so much potential regarding metal. Let's hope for good things ahead. We can only live in hope I suppose. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 eric the head

dude Phantom has a metal show and from what i hear it's the most popular show on the station. it's on mondays. it's top quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I think that for the most part, people who are really into their music probably won't listen to the radio anyway. I honestly cannot tell you when I last listened to the radio.

Exactly.I used to listen to John Kennys metal show religiously as at the time I was in school and couldnt afford to by albums so thats where I got my fix.Havnt conciously tuned in a music station in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

dude Phantom has a metal show and from what i hear it's the most popular show on the station. it's on mondays. it's top quality.

You are right there dude, unfortunately I tried to listen to them before and it wouldn't get going. Tried downloading their show in podcast and that wouldn't start aswell. Will suss them out again. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Phantom have a metal show and there was another station that had one too (Can't remember what it was called, don't know if it was pirate/local ect or even if it's still around anymore). The thing is I just couldn't be arsed listening to a radio station for music. If I want to listen to music I'll put on a cd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Radio stations appeal to the lowest common denominator which ensures they get the maximum amount of listeners and therefore the maximum amount of ad revenue. I'd also go out on a limb and say that metal by it's nature can be difficult to have as background music unlike classical, generic-boyband-27 or the latest X Factor "star".

I agree with what others have said, I rarely listen to the radio. If I'm in the car it's the CD player, if I'm walking it's the MP3 player and thankfully I'm not afflicted with the radio in work.
    DenMan wrote: »
    Despite what people think metal is huge here. The underground scene is buzzing and the amount of cover bands is unreal.
    I don't know if that's really the case but I would love to be wrong. There will always be a metal scene but I don't think it will ever become popular enough to be huge. Then all the elitists would get fed up and create a new genre called "Proper Metal" or "True Metal" or something ;).

Regarding Phantom FM, is that not available in Dublin only? I don't have a radio near me to check so apologies if that's a stupid question!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

On the upside, I can see Classic Rock is finally getting some airtime on regular daily shows. I heard Zeppelin two days in a row on Today fm. Of course it was Mr. Plant's 60th this week so that could have something to do with it.
    It is a pity that we don't have an alternative radio station that doesn't suck or get shut down inside 6 months. Is DAD ROCK still on anywhere? Wasn't the John Kenny metal show an hour of metal, then an hour of the oldies? Loved that stuff. Though he grossly misrepresented Chris Cornell's solo album as not terrible. Took me a while to get over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

DenMan wrote: »
    You are right there dude, unfortunately I tried to listen to them before and it wouldn't get going. Tried downloading their show in podcast and that wouldn't start aswell. Will suss them out again. Thanks for that.

If you have NTL or any other digital tv, you can just listen to it on your telly. I have the same problem with trying to listen on the computer and don't have any radios in the house, other than my alarm clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Its not my forte but would most metal fans tend to buy things on the basis of ads? I mean if these are just generic companies eg Tescos etc that are already established in Ireland they would probably not see the audience as being profitable. I know myself that I blank out all forms of advertisement and have never bought anything because I've seen it on TV or on a billboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

would most metal fans tend to buy things on the basis of ads?
    Not most metal fans but the younger ones probably would. I don't have a Sky subscription but it seems like every time I'm at my parent's house and I turn on Kerrang or Scuzz it's the same set of bands getting the airplay. I doubt there's such a genre but if "Popular Metal" existed, the likes of Bullet For My Valentine, Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica and Slipknot would feature in it. I don't know for sure but I assume with the impending release of Metallica's and Slipknot's new albums, they'll be featuring heavily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

In addition to Phantom, there's a number of local Dublin radio stations that have metal shows (they stream on the internet too).

Raidio Na Life - Scrios agus Ar 10:30-Midnight Sundays
    Near 90 FM - LiveWire 7-8:30 Saturdays
    Dublin City FM (was Anna Livia) - the Moshpit 10-11 Thursdays

And they all do requests and the odd competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Hi

Just to let you know that our metal show, Metal Notes, airs on Mondays 8-10PM and is presented by Ray McGowan. Ray also is a great supporter of Irish metal and he welcomes releases from bands from around the country.

Phantom is avialble on 105.2 Dublin, DAB Digital Radio in North Leinster, nationwide on UPC Digital Channel 935 (that's the new name for NTL/Chorus) and online at www.phantom.ie . We have 128K streams!

Unfortunately, we don't podcast the metal show for copyright reasons.

You can contact the Metal Notes metalnotes@phantom.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

On the upside, I can see Classic Rock is finally getting some airtime on regular daily shows. I heard Zeppelin two days in a row on Today fm. Of course it was Mr. Plant's 60th this week so that could have something to do with it.
    It is a pity that we don't have an alternative radio station that doesn't suck or get shut down inside 6 months. Is DAD ROCK still on anywhere? Wasn't the John Kenny metal show an hour of metal, then an hour of the oldies? Loved that stuff. Though he grossly misrepresented Chris Cornell's solo album as not terrible. Took me a while to get over that.

Today fm. played some great rock a while back ago like NFD, Neil Yong & Crazy Horse, Sisters of Mercy, AC/DC & Motorhead. It was only a few songs but its better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

Metal Hertz Fm in waterford
    not sure what its airtimes are (possibly fridy nights and saturdays?) but its at 99.9 i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Metal Hertz Fm in waterford
    not sure what its airtimes are (possibly fridy nights and saturdays?) but its at 99.9 i think

The MetalHertz FM site now contains updated schedules for weekend broadcasts..
    they are on 99.9MHz FM every weekend in Waterford and stream online...

you can check it here... http://www.metalhertzfm.com

'Njoy ;)

*EDIT - Just noticed this is my 666th post.. How fitting, that its about a Metal Radio station :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

You can never post again now haha.

I listen to Metalhertz each weekend when I'm just hanging about the house, its a really good station. The lads on it have a bit of banter as well between each song which is always good craic to listen to :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

Ha was gonnna suggest this station. They also support a lot of the local metal gigs/nights that go on in Waterford too which is great. All round good station and will always do their best to get your requests on air :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭mang

was looking around and on thier news page metalhertz fm are interviewing oprheus (myspace.com/orpheusmetal) should be a good show... ill be out of the country so ill be listening on the stream :)

Advertisement