Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Horrible accident near dundrum

Options
  • 23-08-2008 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

Was driving home from the cinema tonight and just as you turn right out of the red car park saw a horrible smash up. It did not look good. It was frighteningly eerie to see dublins finest emergency services cutting people out of a demolished car. Hopefully nobody was seriously injured. Take it handy on the roads and say a prayer for those involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

It's terrible alright. I remember seeing a few ambulances and the fire brigade, cutting out a passenger in an alfa 156 a few years ago that only had a small bang on the front of it, into the back of another car. Now maybe the passenger suffered severe whiplash or its just "procedure" but I was shocked to see them cut apart a brand spanking new alfa for such a small bump on the front. It really didn't look that bad but again, I wasn't in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Was driving home from the cinema tonight and just as you turn right out of the red car park saw a horrible smash up. It did not look good. It was frighteningly eerie to see dublins finest emergency services cutting people out of a demolished car. Hopefully nobody was seriously injured. Take it handy on the roads and say a prayer for those involved.

Passed that myself. Didn't look good. The Polo was a mess alright

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Its terrible to even witness these accidents, never mind have a family member or friend involved in one. Hope this one just looked worse than it actually was.
    I know the garda get a bit of a hard time on here, but people often forget they are normally first on the scene at horrific crashes and have live with what they see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

About 2 years ago there was a male pedestrian killed instantly by a bus just at the Westlink roundabout, as he was trying to cross the slip road that vehicles use to come off the roundabout to head south bound on the M50. I drove by just after the accident and first on the scene was the fire brigade who must have pronounced him dead at the scene but were still waiting for an ambulance to take the body away, so they laid him out on a nearby path with a white sheet over him but his foot was sticking out under the end of the sheet. I'll never forget that scene between now and the day I die...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Senna wrote: »
    Its terrible to even witness these accidents, never mind have a family member or friend involved in one. Hope this one just looked worse than it actually was.
    I know the garda get a bit of a hard time on here, but people often forget they are normally first on the scene at horrific crashes and have live with what they see.

Another scary story while I'm here... Years ago, (like when our parents were young, probably 35-40 years ago!), my girlfriend's mother ther was offered a lift in a car after a night out in Dublin. For whatever reason, she declined the lift but her best friend took the lift. Subsequently, the car crashed into a bank building in Dundrum and everyone in the car was killed and the accident was so bad, they were unable to identify the bodies. At the time, obviously my GF wasn't born and wouldn't have been had her mother been killed in the accident that day had she taken the lift she was offered... I know there is a theory that says I'd never have known about it if it happened and would have met someone else and would have been just as happy, etc, but all the same, food for thought... It happens that my GF's sister was named after the best friend killed in the crash that day... Apparently there are at least 5 other girls living in Dublin of similar age as my GF's sister who are also named the same name after this woman who was killed in this crash on that day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Driving by scenes like that does tend to scare the bejaysus out of you.

I remember driving on the inbound side of the Tallaght by-pass a few years ago. It was 2 or 3 days before Christmas and the emergency services were trying to remove a baby from the rear of a car. It was quite scary. The only consolation was that the damaged cars were moved to the median - so I guess that if the occupants were really serious they would have been cut out before the cars were moved.

Thing is, you can be as careful as you like but accidents will always happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

One of the more gruesome jobs that Gardaí and Fire Brigade/Ambulance personnel have to face.

I witnessed an old lady being killed by a motorcycle. I ran in to the nearest house (before mobiles) to get them to call an ambulance, and this old man came out in his stocking feet. Suddenly, he lost the plot and started dancing in circles with his head in his hands. The old lady was his wife. I will never forget that sight.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

esel wrote: »
    The old lady was his wife. I will never forget that sight.

I'd say not. Man, that must have been harrowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

crosstownk wrote: »
    Driving by scenes like that does tend to scare the bejaysus out of you.

I remember driving on the inbound side of the Tallaght by-pass a few years ago. It was 2 or 3 days before Christmas and the emergency services were trying to remove a baby from the rear of a car. It was quite scary. The only consolation was that the damaged cars were moved to the median - so I guess that if the occupants were really serious they would have been cut out before the cars were moved.

Thing is, you can be as careful as you like but accidents will always happen.

A few years ago while travelling up the n7 I came on a serious accident just south of Portlaoise , a jeep similar to the one i was driving was in bits for over about 50 mtrs of the road
    the driver's side was totally cut off after coming in contact with a lorry .
    The driver was still in his seat while the paramedics were working on him . a female paramedic was restaining his head while literally sitting on the engine which was pushed back into the passenger side

It was a scene which would make any person stop and think

i was legally limited to 80Kph cos of the trailer i was towing & less than 1 Km for the scene they were kamikazie drivers overtaking me on a continous white approaching a bend

I JUST DO NOT KNOW SOME PEOPLE WILL HAVE TO WITNESS BEFORE THEY GET SENSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

esel wrote: »
    The old lady was his wife.
    jaysus - I feel his pain :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I was in the group of cars that was hit by the rampaging bus at Bluebell a couple of years ago. I saw the woman who was killed lying on the ground with her daughter leaning over the body just screaming.

I felt so much for that girl, just wanted to grab her and hug her. Guards that had been at the seen and in a car that had been hit were just standing around in shock.

That day though I saw some bravery from our boys in blue and it encouraged me to try and join the guards, I have my phase 2 interview on Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Darragh29 wrote: »
    About 2 years ago there was a male pedestrian killed instantly by a bus just at the Westlink roundabout, as he was trying to cross the slip road that vehicles use to come off the roundabout to head south bound on the M50. I drove by just after the accident and first on the scene was the fire brigade who must have pronounced him dead at the scene but were still waiting for an ambulance to take the body away, so they laid him out on a nearby path with a white sheet over him but his foot was sticking out under the end of the sheet. I'll never forget that scene between now and the day I die...

Actually, the only people who can declare someone dead are doctors. Even ambulance Paramedics/etc have to continue revival techniques until a doctor pronounces the person dead afaik. Obviously though if someone is dead - they will just do the above - put a sheet over them until something can be done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Onkle wrote: »
    I was in the group of cars that was hit by the rampaging bus at Bluebell a couple of years ago. I saw the woman who was killed lying on the ground with her daughter leaning over the body just screaming.

I felt so much for that girl, just wanted to grab her and hug her. Guards that had been at the seen and in a car that had been hit were just standing around in shock.

That day though I saw some bravery from our boys in blue and it encouraged me to try and join the guards, I have my phase 2 interview on Monday :)

best of luck on monday & in the future ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

remember seeing my ma's car after a crash, totally chewed up and written off. Crash at 120kph. All she had was a small bruise from the belt.. It often looks worse than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Hmmm, I always remember in my youth (the 80's) cycling past the the Taxi Rank on Stephen's Green outside the College of Surgeons (now the site of the Luas Terminus) and passing a crowd of people gathered around a middle-aged woman who had stepped out between the taxis and had been knocked down.

She was lying face up with her eyes closed, and actually looked peaceful, except for the ominous sight of a fat and shiny dribble of dark-ruby blood that was snaking out from behind her head, across the oily tarmac...

I didn't stop, as there were loads of people around her already, and I could already hear the ambulance, but I often wonder if she survived.

Advertisement