Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A5 1.8T replaced by 2.0T 180bhp

Options
  • 23-08-2008 1:35am
    Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭

This is a bit late and may have missed it on here but:

1.8T engine replaced by 2.0T with more power and lower co2 (169 reduced to 154).

Presumably it will fit in at the 45k pricepoint but with the lower co2?
    It should really come down in price if anything.
    Anyone (audichris) got further updates? As usual the audi.ie site is way behind in being updated.

audi.co.uk wrote:
    180PS version of all-new 2.0T FSI engine brings improved performance and reduced emissions to lead-in Audi coupé.
    • New 2.0T FSI 180PS engine replaces 1.8T FSI 170PS unit in A5 range, and is positioned below existing 2.0T FSI 211PS version
    • Max power is raised by 10PS and delivered 800rpm earlier at 4,000rpm, peak torque is boosted from 250Nm to 320Nm and delivered equally low down at 1,500rpm
    • 0-62mph in 7.8 seconds (8.4 seconds in A5 1.8T FSI), top speed 148mph (143mph in A5 1.8T FSI), combined mpg 42.8 (39.8 in A5 1.8T FSI), CO2 for six-speed manual version 154g/km (169g/km in A5 1.8 TFSI)
    • Available now in standard and Sport forms with front-wheel-drive and manual transmission for £26,710 OTR and £27,660 OTR.

The power base at Audi is changing yet again as a 180PS version of the all-new 2.0-litre TFSI unit takes over from the 1.8T FSI in the A5 coupé – the latest step in an exhaustive engine development programme bringing average CO2 reductions of as much as 10 per cent for core Audi models within the past 12 months. The A5 2.0T FSI (180PS) is priced from £26,710 OTR and will reach its first UK customers in October.

Derived from the 211PS version of the turbo charged 2.0-litre, four-cylinder FSI engine introduced earlier this month in the A5, and sharing its new, economy enhancing Audi valvelift technology, the new 180PS unit holds a 10PS power advantage over the 1.8T FSI, and delivers its peak output 800rpm earlier. Torque also increases by 70Nm to 320Nm, which is available from 1,500rpm to 3,900rpm, ensuring that the A5 2.0T FSI can out-accelerate its predecessor to 62mph by 0.6 seconds, taking 7.8 seconds to go the distance, and can continue to 148mph.

All-important fuel economy and emissions control have naturally taken a step forward compared with the outgoing model as well, the A5 2.0T FSI registering 42.8mpg in the combined cycle test – a 3mpg or 7.5 per cent improvement over the 1.8T FSI – and emitting 154g/km of CO2, down from the 1.8 TFSI’s 169g/km – a 9 per cent reduction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I've known the 2.0TFSI was going to be introduced in 180BHP (it's already available in fhte A4), although I hadn't heard that the 1.8T would be discontinued.

You'd imagine there'd be a fair bit of overlap in terms of sales between the 1.8T170 and the 2.0T180, but in the A4 there's a €1,700 premium to move from the 1.8T160 to the 2.0T180, so the 1.8T will more than likely stay as the bread-and-butter car.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

really chris? with the tax difference and the extra power wouldn't it be an easy choice? Also wouldn't audi make more on a 2.0T sale @ same price with less vrt to pay?

Seems like a weird decision to keep it in Ireland if it isn't being discontinued everywhere else. According to various online sources, the 1.8T final factoy orders are next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

is it the very same as the 211bhp engine in a different tune?

should be a big seller if so ;)

copacetic wrote: »
    really chris? with the tax difference and the extra power wouldn't it be an easy choice?

I'm only going by my own experience, I ordered our first 2.0T A5 today. No other customer has made that choice.
    Same with A4, the 2.0TDi is selling far faster in the 120 than either 143 or 170bhp. There's limited interest in the 170 other than passing interest - people saying "wow, that'd be a nice engine" but then making the decision for the cheaper engine and a higher spec.
    I don't think the difference between €430 per year and €290 is a deciding factor for people buying the A4 or A5 at the moment - it will when the car's later in its product cycle or when it's second-hand or third-hand.
    Also wouldn't audi make more on a 2.0T sale @ same price with less vrt to pay?

You're presuming the 2.0T is the same cost to produce as the 1.8T.
    Seems like a weird decision to keep it in Ireland if it isn't being discontinued everywhere else. According to various online sources, the 1.8T final factoy orders are next week.

If it's discontinued everywhere else, then it will be here too, I just haven't heard it from Audi yet.
    Cyrus wrote: »
    is it the very same as the 211bhp engine in a different tune?

Afaik, yep!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

From what ive heard it will be priced just above the 1.8 price of 45k - closer to 46k - remember Audi reduced the price of the 1.8 by nearly 5k in July when it should have only come down about 500 quid. A5 has outsold BMW 3 Series Coupe this year with no 4 cylinder diesel which is some going. Will be a straight shoot out next year between the 320 Coupe and the 2.0TFSI 180 and between the 320D Coupe and A5 2.0TDI 170 which starts production in January.

• Advertisement

AudiChris wrote: »
    I'm only going by my own experience, I ordered our first 2.0T A5 today. No other customer has made that choice.

but thats the current one Chris, it's 5k more which is crazy. or are you taking orders for the lower power one yet? what I meant was that assuming the 2.0T is only as much dearer as it is in the UK ~ 175GBP, it would only take 1.5 years to make the money back in tax savings, in a quicker more economical and easier to sell car. No brainer imo.

Thats assuming audi don't do something silly. It can't be any dearer to produce unless they are eating the costs in other markets which seems unlikely.

RedorDeads information makes a lot of sense to me.

If Redordead's right and it is only €1k dearer, then I'd expect the 2.0T180 to take over from the 1.8T, absolutely.

yep, guess it all depends on the pricing.

I've an ulterior motive of course, if 1.8T gets discontinued that'll give some bargaining against a second hand one. Seem to be a lot of them on carzone not moving over last few months. The sline with satnav has been drifting down in price week on week. Although there is a long way to go on it, whoever spec'd that up is looking at a massive loss.

Also looks like a fair few ordered ones have come in against cancelled orders? Either that or some of the dealers have taken a chance and ordered various specs into stock. 5 new 1.8Ts went up in last few days.

Advertisement