Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

English Car Test Drive

Options
  • 23-08-2008 4:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey all, I have a quick question if ye don’t mind indulging me.

I’m test driving a 04 Audi A3 for the weekend. It’s on English plates but has nothing on the windscreen. As in, there’s no tax (English or Irish), no NCT and no insurance cert. Now I have contacted my insurance company and they won’t let me transfer my insurance but they said I’m covered with my own policy, (third party extension I think Hibernian call it).

I know I’m sound with the insurance because I will have both my policy and driving licence with me at all times

Anyway what I’m wondering, if I run into a checkpoint do I have any leg to stand on regarding the road tax?

Also, seen as I have ye, when the VRT is paid on it next week, will I be put into the new tax system or the old?

Cheers,
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I’m test driving a 04 Audi A3 for the weekend. It’s on English plates but has nothing on the windscreen. As in, there’s no tax (English or Irish), no NCT and no insurance cert. Now I have contacted my insurance company and they won’t let me transfer my insurance but they said I’m covered with my own policy, (third party extension I think Hibernian call it).

I know I’m sound with the insurance because I will have both my policy and driving licence with me at all times

Anyway what I’m wondering, if I run into a checkpoint do I have any leg to stand on regarding the road tax?

Also, seen as I have ye, when the VRT is paid on it next week, will I be put into the new tax system or the old?

Cheers,
    D

you will be VRTing it on the new system as its registered after the first of July as stated on www.revenue.ie

If you do get stopped by th gardai then they can do you for no tax or NCT as it is your responsibility to ensure any car you drive is taxed and NCT. I would not be suprised if the guard starts looking at siezing the vehicle if it been in the country a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

In theory the gards can seize the car, they're either going to let you off or seize it, they can't give you a fine for no tax and they can't do anything about the NCT either, it's not an Irish car so the NCT wont apply to it, however they won't care if it has an MOT either. The reason the NCT makes no difference is because seizing the car is their first port of call, it's quite unlikely they'll seize it if you seem genuine though. I always seem genuine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You will be vrting it on the new system but it will be taxed on the old system. (ie. cc based).

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

It won't be based on cc,

"From 1 July 2008 VRT will no longer be based on the engine size but rather on the CO2 emissions from the car. This is a fundamental change in the method of charging VRT and will have an impact on the amount of VRT charged on all new cars on sale in the State and also on second-hand cars imported from abroad. Linking the VRT rates to CO2 emission levels will mean that those purchasing cleaner, low emission cars will pay less VRT while those opting to purchase higher emitting vehicles will pay more."

It won't be based on cc,

"From 1 July 2008 VRT will no longer be based on the engine size but rather on the CO2 emissions from the car. This is a fundamental change in the method of charging VRT and will have an impact on the amount of VRT charged on all new cars on sale in the State and also on second-hand cars imported from abroad. Linking the VRT rates to CO2 emission levels will mean that those purchasing cleaner, low emission cars will pay less VRT while those opting to purchase higher emitting vehicles will pay more."

I don't know how many times this has been done. The VRT is on the new system, the tax is on the old system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It won't be based on cc,

Ohmisungod - when are people going to take 30 seconds to get this right - the statement above is completely wrong.:rolleyes::rolleyes: If I'm not mistaken, that paragraph above has been lifted from a Press Release. And an old, out of date one at that.

Pleaser read the VRT sticky. Please read the Revenue VRT website.

Please read something, anything, but most of all - stop posting fiction !!!:D

If you're car is registered - anywhere - pre Jan 1 08, you'll be taxed on cc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cheers,
    D

Just be aware that it's illegal for an Irish resident to drive a foreign reg car. Customs can take it off you if caught and they've heard the test drive story loads of times, not saying you are lying or will get stopped but it's something to be aware of. I'd bring all the sales details for the car with you.

Also if you are involved in an accident you'll have 3rd party insurance. But there is no cover on the car, would be a bit of a p!sser to write it off and still have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I dont think your covered by insurance by the way. Any third party extensions I've come across only cover you if your driving another car that you dont own but is insured by someone else. Doesn't cover you if the car your driving is not insured at all. That was te case for me when I was with hibernian, and now with Allianz.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

gpf101 wrote: »
    I dont think your covered by insurance by the way. Any third party extensions I've come across only cover you if your driving another car that you dont own but is insured by someone else. Doesn't cover you if the car your driving is not insured at all. That was te case for me when I was with hibernian, and now with Allianz.

I believe gpf101 is correct there.

gpf101 wrote: »

When a friend of mine bought a car, his brother was driving it home for him and rang Quinn Direct to transfer his insurance, because it hadn't any on it. When he rang they said "Oh your fine, it doesn't need to be covered by someone else".
    But i'm fairly sure with everyone else it needs to be covered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Op to be honest I would say the chances of running into a check-point while going for a test drive would be minimal but if you do , as long as you're insured and explain the circumstances, i would imagine you wouldn't get any hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

galwaytt wrote: »
    Ohmisungod - when are people going to take 30 seconds to get this right - the statement above is completely wrong.:rolleyes::rolleyes: If I'm not mistaken, that paragraph above has been lifted from a Press Release. And an old, out of date one at that.

Pleaser read the VRT sticky. Please read the Revenue VRT website.

Please read something, anything, but most of all - stop posting fiction !!!:D

If you're car is registered - anywhere - pre Jan 1 08, you'll be taxed on cc.

The above looks ok to me, he was talking about VRT, not road tax

The above looks ok to me, he was talking about VRT, not road tax

Lol galwaytt is right. I said to Dirk_digbee that it would be vrt'd on the new system but taxed on the old system (ie. cc based) and he posted underneath "it won't be cc based". And since the only thing i refered to being cc based was tax i'm guessing that's what he's refering to too.

Advertisement