Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Muse @ Wembley DVD

• 23-08-2008 7:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this?

I have just watched the first few tracks and all i can say is holy ****!!!!

This is just outstanding in every conceivable way. I highly highly recommend those that have not seen this to get their hands on it ASAP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

yeah its really good. don't know what it would be like when i got it. well worth the money. they realy are a great band live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

prefer Hullabaloo tbh, better set list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I have Hullaboo on CD and was never that impressed with it, couldn't get over the live sound which i think is below par. Haven't seen the dvd though, haven't been able to get my hands on a copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Its pretty great but Cremos right. Hullabaloo was far better. They were better as a whole back then too, much more raw and genuine. They're far too rehearsed now. That said they're still my favourite band :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cremo wrote: »
    prefer Hullabaloo tbh, better set list.

+1

HAARP is overdone completely and the whole 'live' effect is lost through the cleaning up of the sound and the polished footage.

Hullabaloo has better songs (it opens with 'Dead Star' ffs!) and is much more 'raw'.

• Advertisement

I'll have to see the hullabaloo dvd to make any real comparisons.

But personally, for a live gig i like the sound to be as clean as possible rather than have anything lost in the mix and the sound at wembley is unreal, especially the vocals. I think the drums could have been better sound wise though.

I'll have to see the hullabaloo dvd to make any real comparisons.

But personally, for a live gig i like the sound to be as clean as possible rather than have anything lost in the mix and the sound at wembley is unreal, especially the vocals. I think the drums could have been better sound wise though.

But sure then it's not really the live experience. It's merely a video. I guarantee the sound wasn't flawless at the gig so why should it be on the dvd? It doesn't give a true representation of the gig as computers can be used to clean up and improve everything.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But sure then it's not really the live experience. It's merely a video. I guarantee the sound wasn't flawless at the gig so why should it be on the dvd? It doesn't give a true representation of the gig as computers can be used to clean up and improve everything.
    I remember as a kid having a concert on video and there was a solo in a particular song and it was probably the best piece of the whole thing, i loved it.

A few years later i bought the same concert on cassette tape in a small record store in town (those were the days:)), except it had the whole setlist and was unedited. Turns out the solo started off slightly different but was swallowed in feedback, but this was edited from the released video. I didn't complain, it added nothing to the song and maybe i wouldn't have thought it was as great as i did had it been included in the video?

My point being, there are always going to be mistakes, hell there's probably one or two on hullabaloo that were edited/altered in some way shape or form.

I'd rather hear a polished version than a messy 'raw' version.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference at the end of the day.

I remember as a kid having a concert on video and there was a solo in a particular song and it was probably the best piece of the whole thing, i loved it.

A few years later i bought the same concert on cassette tape in a small record store in town (those were the days:)), except it had the whole setlist and was unedited. Turns out the solo started off slightly different but was swallowed in feedback, but this was edited from the released video. I didn't complain, it added nothing to the song and maybe i wouldn't have thought it was as great as i did had it been included in the video?

My point being, there are always going to be mistakes, hell there's probably one or two on hullabaloo that were edited/altered in some way shape or form.

I'd rather hear a polished version than a messy 'raw' version.

But that's not how it was live.

If I'm watching a live dvd I want to feel like I was there. I want to hear the crowd singing and I want to be able to hear little errors. That's what makes the difference and none of that is on HAARP to the same extent.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    But that's not how it was live.

If I'm watching a live dvd I want to feel like I was there. I want to hear the crowd singing and I want to be able to hear little errors. That's what makes the difference and none of that is on HAARP to the same extent.
    Like i said, personal preference.

I don't care about feeling like i was there. I do like to hear the crowd though and that is very evident straight from the opening track on the wembley dvd. Plus i haven't watched the whole thing yet so i'm sure i'll pick up on mistakes:)

Unless you know what of and how Hullabaloo was edited then you don't know to what extent it was or was not changed, likewise with the Wembley dvd.

• Advertisement

Like i said, personal preference.

I don't care about feeling like i was there. I do like to hear the crowd though and that is very evident straight from the opening track on the wembley dvd. Plus i haven't watched the whole thing yet so i'm sure i'll pick up on mistakes:)

Unless you know what of and how Hullabaloo was edited then you don't know to what extent it was or was not changed, likewise with the Wembley dvd.

Oh I've no doubt Hulaballoo was touched up. Unfortunately though I just think they overdid it with HAARP, so much so that you may as well just put on the album.

Maybe I'm disappointed cause I've seen Muse live so many times and it doesn't sound like the gigs at all, I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I'm on the fence for this one. I love Muse and own both Hullabaloo and HAARP, and i love them both for the reasons outlined by everyone here. its great to look back at muse when they were filling places like the point, when they were big...but not huge. but HAARP is also excellent to see how far they've come, they're now up there with the likes of queen for showmanship, and its kinda needed in this day and age.

as for being cleaned up...well all live dvd's are done this way now. the FOH mix is what the crowd hears on the day, and theres a seperate feed to a mobile recording unit, which is then cleaned up, mixed and mastered at a later date. you just have to accept that.

speaking of which....what song on hullabaloo does matt throw his guitar out of tune by playing it so damn hard?? they could have fixed that but they didnt, which is great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Ive just watched it again today and OMG i need to see this band live.
    His voice is unreal live:eek::eek:

I've had tickets to 3 muse gigs and due to unforseen circumstances i couldn't attend:(:(:(

AMAZING BAND LIVE.

Seriously.. I freaking love them.

Marley park was EPIC.

I've just remembered the mian reason I don't like HAARP - they ballsed up Unintended. The original version is soooooo much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I've had tickets to 3 muse gigs and due to unforseen circumstances i couldn't attend:(:(:(

My God you're gonna have to change that. Its some experience seeing them live. It used to be that way for Mark Lanegan for me, but all is set to change this week:D:D:D

Regarding Haarp....wow! yeah its polished, but as a spectacle, its just jaw-dropping. totally overblown...and I love it. Even the little robot trolley that bring Matt his guitar for KOC....pointless but looks so cool! Not many get away with it either. These do. I fully endorse this product and/or service!

Advertisement