Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Inappropriate

Options
  • 23-08-2008 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Just did my test today and as I was reversing around a corner I obviously had to adjust my mirror. I was told in my driving lesson to ask the instructor to do it but he refused. I felt really uncomfortable bending over this man (I'm a girl of 21) and just felt it was unnecessary.

Does anybody else feel like this or do you think I'm overreacting?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

SABSS wrote: »
    Just did my test today and as I was reversing around a corner I obviously had to adjust my mirror. I was told in my driving lesson to ask the instructor to do it but he refused. I felt really uncomfortable bending over this man (I'm a girl of 21) and just felt it was unnecessary.

Does anybody else feel like this or do you think I'm overreacting?

Thanks

Are you allowed to adjust your mirrors for the reversing?

On my first test I angled my left wing mirror all the way down before the test so that I could see the tyres and how far from the kerb they were. It was kind of a stupid thing to do in hindsight but my instructor told me to just keep them like that for the test. In fairness to him, I nailed the reversing around the corner perfectly with the mirror pointed down, its hard not to when you can see everything perfectly.

I remember being afraid that the tester would notice the mirrors odd position and give me a grade 3 for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Enda89 wrote: »
    Are you allowed to adjust your mirrors for the reversing?

you are but the tester is not. Their only function on the driving part of the test is to give you instructions and observe your driving.

OP if the tester didn't touch or say anything inappropriate to you then its not an issue. I'm sorry you felt uncomfortable but the tester is not allowed to adjust your mirrors and your instructor should have made that clear to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

ztoical wrote: »
    you are but the tester is not. Their only function on the driving part of the test is to give you instructions and observe your driving.

OP if the tester didn't touch or say anything inappropriate to you then its not an issue. I'm sorry you felt uncomfortable but the tester is not allowed to adjust your mirrors and your instructor should have made that clear to you.

+1

Unless he tried to cop a feel or leer down your blouse or something then IMO you're being hyper-sensitive.

He's probably just of the attitude that as the driver, you are responsible 100% for safe operation of the car and everything that it entails.

I hope when pulling out onto a busy main road you didn't ask him "how are we doing on that side?" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1 to whats been said. he examiner is under no obligation to assist you in any way during the test. To interpret this as inappropriate behaviour on the examiners part, is just wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Enda89

Duckjob wrote: »
    I hope when pulling out onto a busy main road you didn't ask him "how are we doing on that side?" ;)

pmsl, reminds me of a story I heard about some chap who failed with a grade 3 on his turnabout. When he was reversing back slowly he was checking out the drivers window while asking the tester "hows that lookin on your side?" LOL! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

+1

OP - The examiner is 'covering' himself. If he had assisted you and you subsequently were unsuccessful, you could possible say that he contributed to your failure as he didn't adjust them properly etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

SABSS wrote: »
    (I'm a girl of 21)

Thanks

SO WHAT... that has no relevance to whether you can drive or not.

if you were black you could have played the race card as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

pa990 wrote: »
    SO WHAT... that has no relevance to whether you can drive or not.

What a tool, totally unneccessary comment with nothing to do with anything.

• Advertisement

What a tool, totally unneccessary comment with nothing to do with anything.

please explain Bumblebee ; how does being a 21y/o female differ from being a 21y/o male or any other age or gender when taking a driving test ????

the OP raised the fact of her age/gender.. so i presume she felt that it was a factor

(Also bumblebee.. theres no need for name calling)

please explain Bumblebee ; how does being a 21y/o female differ from being a 21y/o male or any other age or gender when taking a driving test ????

the OP raised the fact of her age/gender.. so i presume she felt that it was a factor

Shes a young girl and felt it was inappropriate to be bending over a test instructer thats what i presumed i dont think she was playing any card, she never said she failed

What a tool
    You're on a yellow card.

Why do you presume the OP isn't black?

Why do you presume the OP isn't black?

that was a flippant comment, to be interpreted as someone using 'any auld excuse'

that was a flippant comment, to be interpreted as someone using 'any auld excuse'

Any excuse for what though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

no where in her post did the OP say that leaning over the tester to adjust her mirrors caused her to fail, actually she never stated one way or other if she did fail or not. She'd obviously been informed by her instructor that she could adjust the mirror but they failed to tell her that the tester wouldn't adjust it for her and depending on the size of the car, the tester and the driver, it could have been a little uncomfortable to lean across. The OP didn't go on a rant or anything in their first thread claiming they failed and it wasn't fair, they just asked if this was normal for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

From Standard Procedure for Conducting Driving Tests - Practical Part of the Test
    The tester says- "Thank you. Now, would you please ensure that the seat, seat-belt, head restraint, and mirrors are properly adjusted and that your door is properly closed." The tester should confirm that the tester's door is closed and should also adjust an exterior mirror, if asked to do so by the applicant.

Nowhere does it specifically advise the examiner not to adjust the wing mirror for reversing, so would assume that if they can assist at the start of the test they should have no objection doing so again for the reverse.

My guess, nice examiner man was attempting to do OP a favour.

Over reliance on the wing mirror can easily lead to insufficient all around observation, thus resulting in a fail.

If possible, the best and safest way to "Reverse into a Road" is to look where you are going, using the back and side windows, only using the left wing mirror to check your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

While there is some disagreement about the letter of the law on this, I would agree with the OP to a degree.

I'm not saying that the tester was 'inappropriate', but he certainly could have been a little more obliging.

I understand that in the real world, if the OP was in the car on her own, she would either have to reach over to adjust, or manage without the mirror pointing down. However, if she was driving in the real world with a passenger, of course she would ask them to adjust it for her.

I would say the tester was just being overly officious, unless he was pervy in some other way the OP didn't mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

When I did my driving test in Feb I was faulted a grade 2 for adjusting the mirror. It was the only mark I got during the test. my instructor told me you were allowed to adjust your mirror but the tester basically gave out to me and told me that it was fault!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that either. They are professional and wouldn't do anything but I make it a rule not to lean over guys I don't know.

Me being awkward would have told him I didn't feel comfortable and maybe even asked him to get out while I fix it. If he wouldn't I would give out to his boss.

It's not a big deal but I just don't do that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm learning at the moment and my instructor never adjusts or has let me adjust the mirror for reversing around a corner. I think that's a good strategy- at least it won't be an issue in the test.
    Reversing is hard though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭peachystarr

All this talk of adjusting mirrors for reversing around a corner, Ive never heard of it before.

One can successfully reverse around a corner without adjusting mirrors IMO, thats just added stress to an already stressfull situation.

A major over reaction about having to reach across and move a mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I think it's an over reaction too.

Why would you do it if it made you uncomfortable? Ask him to leave the car while you do it?

It seems you are assuming the instructor wanted you too lean over him. Did he show any signs of interest during the test? Or wwas this the only time you felf uncomfortable?

If you didn't tell the insturctor, then how was he to know?

Over reaction.

My instructor told me from here on out I'm not too talk to her. I didn't use the wing mirror, if you can't judge the lenght or with of your car, are you sure you should be driving?

It's like seeing a van drive through a gap at 20km, and then seeing a micra crawl through and even stopping because they don't realise they have 1ft space on there passenger side. So silly and so annoying.

Nabber wrote: »
    I think it's an over reaction too.

Why would you do it if it made you uncomfortable? Ask him to leave the car while you do it?

It seems you are assuming the instructor wanted you too lean over him. Did he show any signs of interest during the test? Or wwas this the only time you felf uncomfortable?

If you didn't tell the insturctor, then how was he to know?

Over reaction.

My instructor told me from here on out I'm not too talk to her. I didn't use the wing mirror, if you can't judge the lenght or with of your car, are you sure you should be driving?

It's like seeing a van drive through a gap at 20km, and then seeing a micra crawl through and even stopping because they don't realise they have 1ft space on there passenger side. So silly and so annoying.
    When you say 'instructor' do you mean 'examiner'?

(The OP used 'instructor' but meant 'examiner' - a common mistake on this forum).

Advertisement