Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sydney for christmas?

Options
  • 23-08-2008 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

thinking of going to syndney around christmas new years for a few weeks. any ideas when the best time to go is eg before christmas or after? is is worth it going at this time..too hot, everthing closed? would i be able to get flights under €1000 return anywhere? ive got accomodation for free with a friend so that aint a problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

adamski8 wrote: »
    thinking of going to syndney around christmas new years for a few weeks. any ideas when the best time to go is eg before christmas or after? is is worth it going at this time..too hot, everthing closed? would i be able to get flights under €1000 return anywhere? ive got accomodation for free with a friend so that aint a problem

Cost me €1400 last year with Etihad for Sydney on 26th December till end of January. I had accomodation as well. Warmest time of year but i like that so suited fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Was there for Xmas and New Year two years ago and going again this year. Great time to go as most people take their summer hols around then and weather is usually great. Nothing will be closed.

You should get a flight for around the €1400 mark but I would be checking it out now as its a very busy time for the airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

hmmm interesting, i tried ethiad for flights and it seemed all over 2grand. http://www.joewalshtours.ie/ had flights for 1200 with korean airlines including taxes. not sure if korean airlines is the best to travel with. i take it joe walsh tours aint dodgey but one of the options along with economy class was CONCORDE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Oh barely anything is closed over Christmas
    it doesn't seem to be a big deal over here.

Just another 2 days off really.

If in Sydney, the Boxing day (as it is known in Oz) races in Randwick is good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭lollb

hmmm interesting, i tried ethiad for flights and it seemed all over 2grand. http://www.joewalshtours.ie/ had flights for 1200 with korean airlines including taxes. not sure if korean airlines is the best to travel with. i take it joe walsh tours aint dodgey but one of the options along with economy class was CONCORDE!!!!

i traveled to sydney with korean airlines mid january this year. they are grand, food isnt great but you put up with it they have a "normal" dish and a korean one!! planes are fine, good movies etc with a screen in the head rest in front of you. service is excellent, airport in korea is lovely great cheap shopping!!! on the way back i had to stay over and the hotel was fab!!!

it cost me 1100 for the flights which i booked last september, although one girl i met on the flight paid 1800 she booked in november!!! so book soon. sydney was lovely had a ball!!!

• Advertisement

lollb wrote: »
    i traveled to sydney with korean airlines mid january this year. they are grand, food isnt great but you put up with it they have a "normal" dish and a korean one!! planes are fine, good movies etc with a screen in the head rest in front of you. service is excellent, airport in korea is lovely great cheap shopping!!! on the way back i had to stay over and the hotel was fab!!!

it cost me 1100 for the flights which i booked last september, although one girl i met on the flight paid 1800 she booked in november!!! so book soon. sydney was lovely had a ball!!!
    thanks for the replies. where did you book your flights? direct with korean airlines? joe walsh travel quoted me €1200 on the website but someone got back to me and says the cheapest is €1600! with ethiad! wast going on there i dont know, the person was full of advice about my trip though but anyone know why the big jump in price? are the screwing with me or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I dont think their website checks flight availability in real time. You are better off phoning around the big long haul agents like Austravel or World Travel Centre to get an accurate quote. But dont be too surprised if it works out around €1600 as Xmas is the busiest time of the year from travel between Ireland/UK and Australia. Im sure with a bit of juggling around on the dates you could get it slightly cheaper. I paid nearly €2000 two years ago as I didnt book until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Check out travelpaths.ie i think thats who i booked my Etihad with. Best Airline i ever travelled with btw. Best entertainment for economy class. But then again if you can get a big saving go for it. Flight is going to be the worst part of the holiday so who cares what its like if it's cheap.

My mate flew Korean and came back on friday and said it was nothing special and was grand.
    At that time of year Seoul will be freezing (-8ish) so dont forget this on ur stopover. A friend got caught there a few years ago in the snow in shorts and flip-flops!!

ibh wrote: »
    Check out travelpaths.ie i think thats who i booked my Etihad with. Best Airline i ever travelled with btw. Best entertainment for economy class. But then again if you can get a big saving go for it. Flight is going to be the worst part of the holiday so who cares what its like if it's cheap.

My mate flew Korean and came back on friday and said it was nothing special and was grand.
    At that time of year Seoul will be freezing (-8ish) so dont forget this on ur stopover. A friend got caught there a few years ago in the snow in shorts and flip-flops!!
    i got flights with etihad after all. whats the story with food and drink in flights? i take it meals are free but do you have to pay for anything else you ask for like snacks or alcoholic drinks? and if its free drinks is there a limit on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

i got flights with etihad after all. whats the story with food and drink in flights? i take it meals are free but do you have to pay for anything else you ask for like snacks or alcoholic drinks? and if its free drinks is there a limit on it?

All free within limits

• Advertisement
Advertisement