Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The World at War" marathon on UKTV History

Options
  • 23-08-2008 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Raining outside, nothing else to do and a World at War marathon on UKTV History (Sky Ch. 537). Excellent.

It really is a fantastic programme and Oliviers narration really adds to the extensive footage and great post-war interviews. Essential viewing for anyone intersted in history.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Clytus

I bought the whole series a few years ago. The thing about the series is that it was made in the 70s...so alot of those who witnessed the events were still alive....so unlikely such a programe could ever be re-produced. It was a landmark programe that was well worth the investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭birdman 1979

Clytus wrote: »
    I bought the whole series a few years ago. The thing about the series is that it was made in the 70s...so alot of those who witnessed the events were still alive....so unlikely such a programe could ever be re-produced. It was a landmark programe that was well worth the investment.

Its on sale in zhagios in Galway for 50 bucks. Well worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I actually have this in my room, still wrapped. Totally forgot about it - thanks for reminding me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

I bought the box set a couple of months ago and have been working my way slowly through it. I remember (pre-digital tv) that it used to be shown on RTE2 some weekday evening 10 or 15 years ago.

A monumental series, absolutely epic viewing.

A bargain now as well at €50! (i think i paid about €110 in HMV)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

this would be a bargin at 200 quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

tc20 wrote: »

A bargain now as well at €50! (i think i paid about €110 in HMV)

Where can it be got for €50??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Where can it be got for €50??

I saw it on sale in Virgin in the Dundrum SC a couple of months ago, i think it was around the time of Virgin being rebranded as Zavvi. Saw it again there recently and it was back up to around €90-€100. still good value..

I've just finished the episodes and am onto the extras - interviews & short documentaries from the approximately 3 MILLION feet of film (iirc) that they shot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

There's a wonderful series that inspired TWAW that deals with WWI, The Great War.
    It's a TV series made by the BBC in 1964 and it contains many interviews with veterans, men then in their 60s and 70s. Mostly British vets of course (it IS a BBC production, after all), but it's fascinating to see these ordinary looking gentlemen talking about their extraordinary experiences in The War To End All Wars.

It doesn't appear to be available from the BBC shop anymore, but there are plenty of copies knocking around on Ebay.

IMBD article
    Wikipedia article

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

Thanks for the info about it being available again guys.

Just ordered it!

( http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008WQ9Y/km-21/ref=nosim )

Advertisement