Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florida Suspension Incident

Options
  • 23-08-2008 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if anybody else heard about the unfortunate events that took place at the tattoo convention in Florida. I heard about it myself through IAM.

I've been neglecting to mention the whole thing here since I wanted to wait until some people in the field took the bull by the horns and tackled it head on. Well BME to the rescue once again (there was another interview done which is on the page)

http://news.bmezine.com/2008/08/22/suspension-failures-and-not-just-the-quick-link/

The two people writing there, are none other than the legendary Allen Falkner and equally as awesome Ron Garza. It's a very interesting read and I think people should have a quick flick through. They basically outline why top quality rigging should be used, the ethical side of what was done and basically how the event organisers should have responded, instead of replying with 'he knew the dangers when going up there' (not actual quote).

There's a youtube video linked in there too, which is quite shocking. I stopped it when I saw him falling. A real unfortunate event really, one that could have been easily avoided.

Thought or opinions on the matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

im scared to open any links right now...

will check again when sober, but i think i dont really want to know :/:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Never really seen much about suspension before so this was really interesting to me. I had no idea so much forethought had to go into the stress loads on each piece of equipment etc.

That jimmy guy is very lucky to have gotten away with just broken bones ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I tried reading it, but adhd got the better of me, and i wondered off to play guitar, woops.
    But i watched the video, crazy stuff, that should have never happened.
    i hope its looked into more, so that it never happens again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Just saw this there now, two things spring into my head.

1) no offence to the chap but he's a little fat to do suspension.

2) They just yank him up, no real slow testing just walking one or two and a quick yank....no wonder he fell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭pe-cze

Its notin to do wit his weight Raze_them_all.
    The work wasnt done properly, thats it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

pe-cze wrote: »
    Its notin to do wit his weight Raze_them_all.
    The work wasnt done properly, thats it.

Yeah 1 correctly placed hook can support up to 200lbs. The dude had 6 in him. By all accounts the rigging was faulty and they used inferior quality hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭RazielDoomgate

supsensions are something id love to get the nerve to do. hopfuly i dont have to wait too long :D

but looking at the vid i agree with raze them all. hes a bit big dont you think? "incendent wasn’t due to equipment failure via manufacturer — it was a result of the equipment being used past its Working Load Limit"

and hes swinging like a mad thing on it!!

Advertisement