Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed cameras on the Galway to dublin route.

Options
  • 23-08-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Hey just thought id ask.

Does anyone know if there are any speed cameras on the galway to dublin route when driving the using the M4 and M50.

ive driven this route a load of times but have never seen any .

reason im asking is i was in a quite a bit of a hurry the last day and pretty much broke the speed limit for the whole route and just reasilsed there i havnt changed the registered address for my car since i moved!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

There are no fixed cameras on that route. I've gone Galway to Dublin, return about 100 times in teh last few years and I've seen 1-2 speed traps in my time so I wouldnt worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

There are no fixed cameras on that route. I've gone Galway to Dublin, return about 100 times in teh last few years and I've seen 1-2 speed traps in my time so I wouldnt worry.

There is one fixed camera on the route, for Dublin bound traffic, opp the Spa hotel in Lucan, but I think the road works make it unworkable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

<p>there's one before the junction for the turn off for killmainham</p>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

You're well into Dublin at that stage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

paconnors wrote: »
    <p>there's one before the junction for the turn off for killmainham</p>
    Thats an ambler-gambler camera to catch those breaking the traffic lights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

kbannon wrote: »
    Thats an ambler-gambler camera to catch those breaking the traffic lights!
    it comes up on my sat nav as a speed trap

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

i think there are ones as you leave the M4. You know when the speed goes from 120 to about 60 or 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

bills wrote: »
    i think there are ones as you leave the M4. You know when the speed goes from 120 to about 60 or 80.

That's the one opposite the spa hotel (out of action I think).

Watch out for mobile speed-traps, I got done going through Horseleap a few months back.

Regarding the new motorway, isn't it a bit weird how the brand new stretch from Athlone to Tyrrellspass is the M4 (120 kph speed limit), then it changes back to the N4 up as far as Kinnegad (100 kph), then goes back to being the M4 for the up to Lucan (120 kph)? Schizophrenic road or what? Might be something to do with signage. Much improved road BTW - one of the few good legacies from the Celtic Tiger era.

paconnors wrote: »
    it comes up on my sat nav as a speed trap
    I'm not sure if its even in use anymore but when it was, it was definitley an ambler gambler camera (as was the one on the N11 at Donnybrook when it was there).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

MayoForSam wrote: »
    That's the one opposite the spa hotel (out of action I think).

Watch out for mobile speed-traps, I got done going through Horseleap a few months back.

Regarding the new motorway, isn't it a bit weird how the brand new stretch from Athlone to Tyrrellspass is the M4 (120 kph speed limit), then it changes back to the N4 up as far as Kinnegad (100 kph), then goes back to being the M4 for the up to Lucan (120 kph)? Schizophrenic road or what? Might be something to do with signage. Much improved road BTW - one of the few good legacies from the Celtic Tiger era.

It's because the roads tandards call for the 120Kmph stretches to be called Motorway while the 100Kmph stretches are High Quality Dual Carriageway.
    I think it has to do with the number/degree of turns and bends in a stretch which make signing off at 120K harder to do because there are too many plonkers who'll wrap the car at a moment's notice and claim the limit was too high.

Given that the driving test rarely (ever?) tests extended motorway driving, I don't necessarily disagree with the speed limits. Remembering that there's a 100K section on a motorway when no-one else slows down is going to be hard.

Far too many biddys doing 60 and cocky suits doing 160 up your arse while you're overtaking and then start flashing the lights because they failed to read the road situation ahead and slow down appropriately.

Fsck them and their horse!

Course, I still remember being passed by a granny in a ford going 140 past me doing 100 on the N6.
    And she looked at me disdainfully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

There are no fixed speed traps but there is the odd GATSO van from time to time, closer to Dublin. Just watch out for unmarked white vans trying to blend in on the hard shoulder!

On the motorway/dual carriageway thing. I think has to do with services. You can't have a long stretch of motorway without dedicated services for food, petrol, sleep, etc. Thats why the section from Athlone to Kilbeggan is motorway, its a short stretch between 2 towns with services close to the motorway. The NRA wanted to use towns as services to keep them getting business but they have since said they will start building dedicated service areas along the route. Once that is done and the full route of Galway to Dublin complete in dual carriageway, it'll become the M6 all the way to Kinnegad (where it merges with the M4) with 120km/hr speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

po0k wrote: »
    Course, I still remember being passed by a granny in a ford going 140 past me doing 100 on the N6.

:D Pwned!

On topic, there are often mobile speed checks just past Loughrea (near the turn off to Portumna) and further on that stretch towards Ballinasloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

po0k wrote: »

How did you know she was a granny?

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    There are no fixed speed traps but there is the odd GATSO van from time to time, closer to Dublin. Just watch out for unmarked white vans trying to blend in on the hard shoulder!
    ...except the aformentioned fixed camera opposite the Spa Hotel heading towards Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Does anyone know if there are any speed cameras on the galway to dublin route when driving the using the M4 and M50.

The guards are always camped out in their white or green transit vans along the N4 between Lucan and Leixlip. Check out the map on www.irishspeedtraps.com.

I haven't seen them there in a number of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Cole wrote: »
    How did you know she was a granny?

Because, as she passed me by, I looked at her.

Odds are she's reproduced, and her offspring have reproduced.

Would you have preferred the term "OAP"?

Advertisement