Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain efecting my net

Options
  • 23-08-2008 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭

I'll try and keep this short.

I have Digiweb Metro.
    Every time it rains i get packet loss and ping spikes.
    I have had a few call outs over the last few months and support guys blaming trees in my line of sight.
    Yes up ontill the last callout when they changed the power supply for radio it looked like that trees where causing the problem.After changing power supply its has been great untill now when it starts raining i have probs.the rain has stopped a few mins ago and its back to normal.
    The support have refused to check radio for me (3 times/callouts) when i asked him after me saying about the rain.They still blame the trees.
    So my question is,how likey is it that that rain could get into or effect my radio dish?

Regards,
    Game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Of course it will effect your connection, your on a wireless service from a provider. In the case of heavy rain, snow,thunder, lightening and so forth where the air density increases it will adversely effect your internet connection. Its quiet possible that tree (LOS Issue) would cause problem as well but the tree is always there so if it is only when it rains you have this problem I would ask Digiweb what your SNR / Modulation / Distance from transmitter is like. The stringer the signal the less chance it will be effected by outside interference like that rain, although even a perfect SNR in the **** weather we have had recently would be effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Of course it will effect your connection, your on a wireless service from a provider. In the case of heavy rain, snow,thunder, lightening and so forth where the air density increases it will adversely effect your internet connection. Its quiet possible that tree (LOS Issue) would cause problem as well but the tree is always there so if it is only when it rains you have this problem I would ask Digiweb what your SNR / Modulation / Distance from transmitter is like. The stringer the signal the less chance it will be effected by outside interference like that rain, although even a perfect SNR in the **** weather we have had recently would be effected.

Ok thanks but this issue is only happening for the last couple of months and never happened at all during last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ring / email support.

I have a really poor Metro signal and am over 12km from mast, yet heavy rain does not affect my broadband. If you are losing signal either a tree has grown or the cable deteriorated or outside radio out of alignment or some other fault making your connection marginal.

While the signal is reduced by rain the normal installs have a margin to allow for that. If you unplug and repower the modem during rain does it fix it?

watty wrote: »
    Ring / email support.

While the signal is reduced by rain the normal installs have a margin to allow for that. If you unplug and repower the modem during rain does it fix it?

I have done many times i will try again but i wanted to have some info first.
    No repowering modem does not help while its raining.

These are my modem stats now while no rain.Downsteam power can fluctuate to -15 db and Snr up or down by about 5,upstream power goes up a bit also.

RF Parameters
    Downstream
    Frequency Power -3 dBmV
    Signal to Noise Ratio 29 dB Modulation QAM64
    Upstream
    Frequency Power 47 dBmV
    Upstream Data Rate 5120 Ksym/sec Modulation QPSK

You shouldn't get as much change as that. Is there a tree close or in path?

You definitely need a service call. You need to do this yourself with the WIR number. The support people can read the figures from your modem and possibly monitor them depending on work load. So they will see that you do have a problem.

At the minute my figures are much worse and my connection is OK. If mine was any worse though I'd have no connection.

• Advertisement

Yes the last two times i've had a service call the guys just says theres nothing wrong apart from jim saying there's a tree in the line of sight.the last time he changed the adapter for the radio and the time before the modem was changed.Both changes have improved things on a temp basis but always goes back to bad.
    I have had digiweb for over two years now and in that time the trees must have grown just enough too effect my los because when its windy it gets bad.
    The rain has never effected it before the last couple of weeks.Even drizzle with no wind causes problems.
    I was holding out in hope when the leaves start falling in theory the los sould get better because it was perfect before they appeared.The rain is my main concern though.
    Thanks for your help.

OK, that's why it varies.

See who owns the tree and if it can be professionally trimmed. A licence is usually needed to cut down any tree even if you own it. Hence they don't issue installers with Chain Saws.

I was fortunate as the Farmer agreed I could prune two lower boughs on two trees creating a "hole" at ground level. My Metro is only about 2m above ground. No signal on the chimney

Advertisement