Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

e39 - changing rear seats to split folding?

Options
  • 23-08-2008 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

I've posted this up on bmw-driver.net as well.

I'm looking at an e39 tomorrow but it doesn't have split folding rear seats which I need. Has anyone here changed their seats after purchasing? Or any idea of the cost if not?

You'd think this would come as standard.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sedan?
    The seats don't fold because there isn't really access to the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

kbannon wrote: »
    Sedan?
    The seats don't fold because there isn't really access to the boot.

I presume sedan is the same as saloon? But yes its a saloon.

How do you mean there's isn't really access to the boot? I know that split folding rear seats were an optional extra. I was under the impression that they came as standard on the facelift models but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lol, happened out neighbour, she came over to us asking how to fold down her seats as she needed to get signs in. She wasn't very happy. I think it's stupid really. All cars should have folding seats for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lol, happened out neighbour, she came over to us asking how to fold down her seats as she needed to get signs in. She wasn't very happy. I think it's stupid really. All cars should have folding seats for whatever reason.

It's a safety thing. With split folding seats all that holds the seat in place are a couple of small hooks. If people have heavy loads in their boot and they are involved in a crash the load can easily break through these, that's why you should always have the seatbelts done up in a car with split seats if you are carrying any load, where as a non folding seat will have several solid mounting points.

OP. It should be easy enough to change the seats out, they'll only be held in with some bolts or screws. Just make sure that your car has the correct mounting points for folding seats. You're going to have to get a similar car which has folding seats to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I think all that was available was an optional ski pass through the centre arm rest. Without the option the pass through is filled in with metal... not sure how easy it is to remove or if its even possible.

There is a solid bulkhead behind the rear seats so I doubt that folding rear seat was an option in anything but the estate model

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

It can be done alright with a little bit of effort. A guy on BMW-driver.net gave me the following link where a guy shows pictures of how he did it.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1047844

As it turns out the car I looked at is actually an SE model but with all the sport extras retrofitted. The guy got it in from the north about 6 months ago. He told me that the interior is actually from an M5. It has electric sports seats which are heated and the rear seats actually have the latches to fold down but the boot is still sealed. They look exactly like these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__BMW-E39-M5-SEATS-BLACK-LEATHER-SET-FRONT-AND-REAR-OEM_W0QQitemZ230284085130QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230284085130&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I didn't actually try to see if they fold down but I am waiting for him to get back to me about the service history. He has been promised a history from the guy he got it from but has yet to get it.

It has everything else I want though: manual transmission, multi function sports steering wheel, climate control, aluminium interior, sports body kit, sports suspension. It looks like the previous owner was an enthusiast.

I won't be taking it without a service history though especially as the previous guy went as far as replacing the dash so it has the petrol tachometer which redlines at 6200rpm instead of 5000. I'd imagine replacing the dash would make it easier to clock a car but I don't know the ins and outs of this.

GB15 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

It can be done alright with a little bit of effort. A guy on BMW-driver.net gave me the following link where a guy shows pictures of how he did it.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1047844

As it turns out the car I looked at is actually an SE model but with all the sport extras retrofitted. The guy got it in from the north about 6 months ago. He told me that the interior is actually from an M5. It has electric sports seats which are heated and the rear seats actually have the latches to fold down but the boot is still sealed. They look exactly like these:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__BMW-E39-M5-SEATS-BLACK-LEATHER-SET-FRONT-AND-REAR-OEM_W0QQitemZ230284085130QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230284085130&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A1%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

I didn't actually try to see if they fold down but I am waiting for him to get back to me about the service history. He has been promised a history from the guy he got it from but has yet to get it.

It has everything else I want though: manual transmission, multi function sports steering wheel, climate control, aluminium interior, sports body kit, sports suspension. It looks like the previous owner was an enthusiast.

I won't be taking it without a service history though especially as the previous guy went as far as replacing the dash so it has the petrol tachometer which redlines at 6200rpm instead of 5000. I'd imagine replacing the dash would make it easier to clock a car but I don't know the ins and outs of this.

Get a HPI done on it and before you buy make sure that the VIN and engine numbers match and don't look tampered with. If it has the wrong tacho I'd bet it has been clocked, as it has the wrong clock in it, and I doubt they corrected the milage if it was higher. I'd be wary also of the airbags etc if the dash transfer wasn't done correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The mileage is stored in 3 locations in BMWs, the clocks, the ECU & the key itself. If you bring the key to a dealer they should be able to tell you the true mileage. It's a bit more complicated to fully clock a BMW but it can be done.

With regards to the folding rear seat conversion. I would imagine that panel behind the seat that you are proposing to remove may actually form part of the rigid structure of he car. Removing it may actually cause the car to flex more, i.e. you could compromise the handling & the structural integrity of the car.
    Try http://www.bimmer.org too there is a dedicated e39 forum, there's a guy on there called Tyrone & he seems to have done every conversion possible.

The mileage is stored in 3 locations in BMWs, the clocks, the ECU & the key itself. If you bring the key to a dealer they should be able to tell you the true mileage. It's a bit more complicated to fully clock a BMW but it can be done.

With regards to the folding rear seat conversion. I would imagine that panel behind the seat that you are proposing to remove may actually form part of the rigid structure of he car. Removing it may actually cause the car to flex more, i.e. you could compromise the handling & the structural integrity of the car.

Thats good to know about the clocking being difficult.

The guy on the link I posted above actually states that he didn't notice any structural weakness after he cut out that panel. He also said he drives his car quite hard.

GB15 wrote: »
    Thats good to know about the clocking being difficult.

The guy on the link I posted above actually states that he didn't notice any structural weakness after he cut out that panel. He also said he drives his car quite hard.

It could affect structural integrity if you are involved in a crash, he also may not notice a weakness but there could be damage being done everytime he drives. Car makers don't tend to put too much extra into their cars as everything costs money and when dealing with big production runs the money soon adds up.

Why not call a BMW dealer and ask for a quote on changing the rear seats, if they give you one I'd assume it can be done without damaging the cars structure

• Advertisement

The thing is that the folding rear seats were an optional extra. That being the case surely the cars which did have factory folding rear seats would not have any structural modifications to make up for the removed panel to the boot.

I'm not sure if the M5 had folding rear seats as standard but it definately had the option to get them. For me that would give me enough peace of mind not to be put off changing.

Advertisement