Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install developed program

Options
  • 23-08-2008 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I recently qualified with a degree in s/w develpoment and I have just finished doing a project for a client in my own spare time. Its a desktop application, coded in Java with a MySQL database.

My problem is, i'm not sure how to exactly install the application for my client, mostly in regards to the database. Do I do a full install of MySQL and execute my commands then to create my tables etc?

Any help would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I'd say so. You can probably generate a script from your existing database that will recreate it on a different instance of the db. (You can with mssql anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

juror wrote: »
    My problem is, i'm not sure how to exactly install the application for my client, mostly in regards to the database. Do I do a full install of MySQL and execute my commands then to create my tables etc?

Any help would be great.
    Thanks

Yeah, that's basically it. In all the databases I've installed over the years, that's pretty much how I've done it.

One tip though - once you do the MySQL install, confirm connectivity to it first. Make sure you can log in from the client machine, perform some basic queries. Then, and only then, run the database create scripts.

That way, if you run into problems, you will know that it is not the MySQL software install that is the problem, having confirmed it is working first.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

Thanks for the help

Advertisement