Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad grammar on UCD website

Options
  • 23-08-2008 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

http://www.ucd.ie/quinn/studentlife/ourlearningenvironment/technologyquinn/quinnlaptopprogramme/frequentlyaskedquestions/#Why_do_I_need_specific_software

Under the Apple-related FAQ:

"The Quinn School provide [should be "provideS"] business programmes in a business type environment and the use of Apple equipment will not prepare you for the technology you will use when you graduate."

I've seen some other mistakes similar to this one across the site. You might say that it's a business school and that they're therefore not expected to have perfect English grammar. But how come there aren't any mistakes on business (and other non-English-related) areas of the Trinity site?

Kinda disheartening to know that I, a college-bound 19-year-old, have better grammar than the university I'm going to attend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

bravo dude,welcome to the real world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Congrats.
    Now get over it, everyone makes mistakes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

UCD is probably better than you at a couple of things so it all balances out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

You should see the School of English's website ! They spell English with a 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Mention this to everyone you meet at freshers week - it's, like, so interesting, man. Go to Trinity if it bothers you that much - I don't see the conundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wozzo

Your all such morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I suggest we instigate a student revolution rabble rabble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Dyslexics of the world UNTIE!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Wow a typo and on a pubic website!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

There is *a lot* of content on that site and spelling/grammer mistakes, although regularly checked for by people when doing up content, do sometimes get past.

If you bring it to their attention it may have to go through a few channels to get checked and approved before it does indeed get updated. But providing you word your email nicely I am sure they will be thankful for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

I just think it's pretty sad. Were it simply a "typo", that would be fine - yes, everyone makes mistakes. But I've seen this mistake everytime they write a sentence with the subject as a body/organisation (e.g., the university think you will find...) and the verb is plural rather than singular. This shows that they don't know that particular grammatical rule.

Besides that, there are many other mistakes on the site, and also in the postal information they sent me. Example - "you will find many all opportunities to..." and "it is essential that that your laptop meets the criteria". Well if it's that essential, couldn't they at least make sure that they proofread their work before posting it, because, after all, they're asking me to spend c. €1000 on one of their QuinnBooks (laptops) - which, for how much they promote it ("10 reasons o buy this laptop"), I'm certain they must profit from - when I already have a perfectly functioning Apple (that, I've been told by people who know their computers) would work just fine. Sigh. Had to get that off my chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

ciaranajl wrote: »
    and the use of Apple equipment will not prepare you for the technology you will use when you graduate."

I think the Quinn school really hates apple:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

You should talk to Moore McDowell, you two would get on swimmingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I fail to see any hope for this thread being in any way pointful. Wazzo infracted for not especially funny humour attempts in the form of personal abuse. The rest of you are dancing along the line, so watch your footing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement