Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short hair on women....opinions of the ladies and lads...

Options
  • 23-08-2008 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't had long hair in over ten years. But because of a bleaching disaster earlier in the year i had to cut my hair up short short(and dye it back dark again!!) as it was in such bad condition. At the moment i feel its very very short and almost unfeminine. I was mistaken for a boy last week(granted I was in a wetsuit at the time):eek: and I cant wait for it to grow. But in other ways i like it and find it so easy to keep!! and i can funk it up or smooth it down as needed

My girly friends just think i have guts to have my hair so short.I've had men say to me its too short, and i've had other men to say they like it.

So, women and short hair....whaddya reckon??

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Depends, but generally I would be easy either way. It can look very good.It can feel nice too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I think it's really sexy. I have a thing for girls with short hair.. I'd chop mine but I don't have the guts!

If you have the face for it, it looks awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

It really varies from person to person. In your case, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

It doesnt matter to me. Could do with a poll?

It doesnt matter to me. Could do with a poll?
    Why, if you don't care? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Having seen you on the other thread, I would say it defo suits you. A lot can't get away with it, but you can.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

sooo much depends on the person. a mate of mine cut her hair short a lil bit ago and it looks AWESOME! lil bit later, we were going to this music festival and she turns up at my door with it bright red...looked absolutely amazing. im gneuinely jealous of her hair and her ability ot pull it off. that said, am currently contemplating dreads. which, at the end of... ill hav to shave off. could be interesting...

while im at it... anyone know nayone any good at doin dreads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Wibbs wrote: »
    Having seen you on the other thread, I would say it defo suits you. A lot can't get away with it, but you can.

AWWWWWWW thanks;)

Still can't wait for it to grow again tho....pulp fiction style bob here we come(again)....it'll only take about a year...sigh...

Its really something you dont see very often though, all the ladies have mostly long tresses these times, makes me even more conscious!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Honestly, it depends on the person. But it can look absolutely terrific. Example:

samantha_morton.jpg
    SelmaBlair.jpg
    natalie-portman-skull-tshir.jpg

I think only Nat pulls it off there tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Love short hair on girls, I prefer it to long hair actually.

Well, I think that woman could pull off any hairstyle to be fair...

Well, I think that woman could pull off any hairstyle to be fair...
    Very true, she's a stunning lady.

emm.. I find that only really hot girls can pull off short hair.

Other wise.. disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Think it depends on what type of face you have. I personally dont like short hair on me and it takes a real brave woman to get it chopped that short, sometimes i feel like getting the scissors to it but i do love long hair. Especially the jessica rabbit look i think its classy, elegant and feminine.

Halle Berry pulls off the short look superbly.

Trinity1 wrote: »
    Think it depends on what type of face you have. I personally dont like short hair on me and it takes a real brave woman to get it chopped that short

I didnt have a choice:(

It disintegrated:eek:

Yeah? Not even Selma Blair? I think she looks better with short hair than she does with it long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I love Rihanna's short hair. She looks really sexy and sophisticated. Hard to believe she's only 20!

rihanna-short-crop-hairstyle.jpg

gotta ask... what do ye think of dreads on a (not particularly feminine) female?

She(Rianna) still had a lot of length in that cut though, apart from the undercut.

That'll be very easily grown out...... im talking more boy short tbh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭murser

I think it suits girls with smallish good looking faces with sharp features and well defined bone structure. It certianly does not suit bigger ladies. Halle Berry is a good example of where short hair works.

gotta ask... what do ye think of dreads on a (not particularly feminine) female?

Personally??

Not a lot to be perfectly honest, find the idea of them a bit gross and think the maintenance would be a real pain.

I have seen corn rows to look good on some girls alright but never dreads.

Think its a shame to ruin lovely long hair by doing that to it; but then im just envious of long hair right now!!

Just my personal opinion tho;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Not a fan of dreads on girls. Not a fan of dreads on white guys either now that I think of it. You need to be black and male for dreads to look ok on you imo.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Love it. On the right face.

Like murser says, it looks best on girls with well-defined, sharp bone structure.

Short hair with too strong a jaw is a bit too masculine.

That Rihanna girl above is weird looking btw! Who is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭murser

If you dont want anyone to touch or play with your hair and you're not too concerned about the appearence then maybe. Not for me though. I think they're aptly named!

I've seen a girl once where it looked good, but in general I would say that it's an absolute rarity of rarities that dreads on a female can look good. Probably doesn't help that any girl I've met with dreadlocks has been a complete bunny boiling psychopath.

Personally??

Not a lot to be perfectly honest, find the idea of them a bit gross and think the maintenance would be a real pain.

I have seen corn rows to look good on some girls alright but never dreads.

Think its a shame to ruin lovely long hair by doing that to it; but then im just envious of long hair right now!!

Just my personal opinion tho;)

ha, currently have slightly-post-shoulder length hair, wanting dreads... not sure im up to the commitment to keep them in order... corn rows... i just wouldnt consider...i dont think they'd look good on any white chick, tbh, and im about as white as they get :P dreads though, ive known a few peeps with...and they kinda fit into my general circle of philosophies and people and stuff. my fella had dreads back in the day (he's about 20 years older than me), and telling me all i'd need to know if i did actually get them. he emphasized a number of times how much effort they require... but i think they would suit me, and i think im up to it. i've always been better at looking after stuff like that (eg, piercings, tattoos), than my actual self. could be the way forward, i reckon.
    Zaph wrote: »
    Not a fan of dreads on girls. Not a fan of dreads on white guys either now that I think of it. You need to be black and male for dreads to look ok on you imo.

ah. in which case i think i may be reading from a different book frmo you altogether to start with...

murser wrote: »
    If you dont want anyone to touch or play with your hair and you're not too concerned about the appearence then maybe. Not for me though. I think they're aptly named!
    I've seen a girl once where it looked good, but in general I would say that it's an absolute rarity of rarities that dreads on a female can look good. Probably doesn't help that any girl I've met with dreadlocks has been a complete bunny boiling psychopath.

hmmm... interseting... cos, in irealnd, i'd often seen them, and contemplated them.. .but they'd always just looked kinda crap...

but in nz... they're a lil less 'rare'... meaning you can get a better job done, and probably for less cash at the end of the day too... which can only be a good thing, imo. that said, i intend asking around and researching thoroughly before i commit to something... but generally, once ive made my mind up about something like this, it's just a matter of time...

and i swear, im not a bunny boiling psychopath. if anything, im waaaay too soft on my pet mousey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I didnt have a choice:(

It disintegrated:eek:

My hair is a disgrace :(

But i am getting my extensions back in next week as i just dont have the nerve to cut it tight and start again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Depends where the hair is?

Advertisement