Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Controversial Helnwein for Waterford

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭deise-lady

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Regardless of content, some little sh*t decided he should scrawl his name into the one in John Roberts Sq.

Is this not just another form of art??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If he decided to spray paint his name nicely that looked good then yes, you could "say" it was another form of art. He cut his initials into the thing so no its not art, the poor chap probably doesn't know what art his :rolleyes:

I was there the other day in the rain and there was a little tiny kid with a massive orange umbrella standing in front of the landscape one in red square right in the middle... it looked mad there was such a contrast. I thought if someone sprayed that onto it it "could" look cool now. I really wanted a picture of him standing in front of it.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

dazftw wrote: »
    If he decided to spray paint his name nicely that looked good then yes, you could "say" it was another form of art. He cut his initials into the thing so no its not art, the poor chap probably doesn't know what art his :rolleyes:

'All art is a diary of evolution; markings that seemed true of and for their time'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭djScarey

In my opinion, Helnwein himself is the biggest beneficiary of the localised PR controversy, not the kids in faraway war zones. An accommodation could easily have been reached with the City Fathers to have certain images on display after eg 6pm only.

Overall, I am in favour of the exhibition, but sadly won't see it. Many thanks to the posters of photos on this thread.

djScarey wrote: »
    In my opinion, Helnwein himself is the biggest beneficiary of the localised PR controversy, not the kids in faraway war zones.

I'm in complete agreement with you on that.

I believe that this exhibition is out of context in Waterford. It may make sense in Omagh or Belfast, but it seems to me that the intention behind it was to gain media attention. That card was played in Kilkenny Arts Festival in 2001. It's not original or fresh thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

I think it's great to have such an artist in Waterford. And despite what people are saying the response to it has been far better here than anywhere else the artist has exhibited according to him.

However, it is the first time in the 10 years the individuals hanging the works have ever been. What irony. Usually it's just the works themselves.

I like the whole exhibition but understand why it is being received negatively by parents and as to it being out of context in waterford in a literal sense, that's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

as to it being out of context in waterford in a literal sense, that's ridiculous.
    Have to jump on this side of the fence, war is everywhere, and effects everyone.

To say put it in Tyrone or Belfast is exactly the kinda "fob it off" attitude this kind of in-your-face art is trying to highlight.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well the one outside McDonalds is in **** now anyway, someone ripped it!

I think that might have been wind damage actually. That said, would never have happened if it weren't for the tool who scrawled their initials into it!:mad:

This is why waterford can't have anything nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I wouldn't call it controversial at all really - maybe about ten years ago it would've been. On top of that, he pulled the same trick a few years back in limerick/kilkenny, didn't he?

I'd call it ****e. Very one-trick pony. And it blocked the tv screen showing the match too :\

• Advertisement

Well I don't think anyone expected there'd be a need for the tv in red square in the first place. Oh the little faith we have :D

The market there was lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭shellie11

very confused, what do these pictures represent??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If you flick back a few pages, its been discussed (nearly sure its this thread). :)

Why are these still up btw? I thought they were part of the Fringe festival thats now over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Sully wrote: »
    If you flick back a few pages, its been discussed (nearly sure its this thread). :)

Why are these still up btw? I thought they were part of the Fringe festival thats now over?

like christmas lights, county team flags or some politicians posters they'll probably stay up till they naturally decay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Was down at the weekend and I really enjoyed getting a chance to see these in person. I thought they were fantastic. Nice to see something a bit different around town. I always did think Waterford needed a bit more culture. Hope this will set a trend for more artists wanting to showcase their work here. Its a step forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

There's some kind of photography competition exhibition strewn about City Square now too. Some nice photos in it. But there also seems to be quite a lot of photos, while they aren't bad photos, seem quite ordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Kahless wrote: »
    There's some kind of photography competition exhibition strewn about City Square now too. Some nice photos in it. But there also seems to be quite a lot of photos, while they aren't bad photos, seem quite ordinary.

And repetitive and repetitive and rep.. sorry I'll stop now ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

shellie11 wrote: »
    very confused, what do these pictures represent??

Kids in war, as far as I remember?

like christmas lights, county team flags or some politicians posters they'll probably stay up till they naturally decay...

Or till the corporation start giving ultimatums again.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement