Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A+ questions

Options
  • 23-08-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

So I'm sitting the A+ exams next month so just doing a few questions, coincidently comptia sent me an email and one of it's sponsor links had a free (limited) exam engine and questions. First off, I find the questions it gives very vague and misleading so I wouldn't pay for it.

But one question I got was this:

Q: Which of the following types of data transmission method is commonly employed in short-range communication among computer peripherals and personal digital assistants?

A: WLAN
    B: Infrared
    C: WiMax
    D: WiFi

So I chose WiFi, but the answer was Infrared, the reason I chose WiFi is I can't remember I used a "digital assistant" with Infrared, yet alone use a "digital assistant".

My question is this, can I expect these kind of outdated questions in the exam? Anyone sat the exam recently enough the 2006 version, that could give a rough example of questions.

There was another one that bugged me a bit,

Q: You find water dripping from the ceiling in the server room; which of the following should you do you do first?

A: Notify building maintenance.
    B: Place a note in the server room logbook.
    C: Immediately turn off the servers
    D: Notify the network administrator.

The answer to this was A, I chose C, made sense in my head. What would you others chosen?

Actually in retrospect my answer would have been jumping the gun, shutting down the servers because of a leak, but in fairness it didn't specify where the leak was :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Well Infrared is an old standard for digital short range transmission.. also its the most obvious.. Otherwise I woudl have chosen bluetooth if it was there..

Second question again.. notify maint.. purely because if you electrocute yourself you make it more difficult.. If its not your area, notify the people in charge of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

I'll have to go over the course content again, because I don't remember it doing a section specifying what "short-range" was. :P

Out of interest, can I expect questions to be that vague? In an exam situation you don't exactly have 10 mins to mull over a question in your head analysing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Just change your approach to the questions..

Instead of choosing the right answer, eliminate the wrong ones.. Usually there are 2 very wrong answers and 1 nearly right and 1 right.

So by just saying ok, which of these doesnt meet the requirements, you get 2 down, now its down to a 50/50 question.. See how this goes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

cheers Ginger, will give that a go, I'll just have to get the hang of it :)

Advertisement