Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Courses

Options
  • 23-08-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there,

I applied for Computer Applications Degree Course in DCU this year but didnt get accepted because of my maths grade.

Im looking for a Maths course that i can complete in the next year in order to reapply to DCU.

I have searched online but cant find anything.

Does anybody know of a PLC Maths course that i could do?

Is there any other type of PLC course i could do for the year to give me the chance of getting entry to this course?

Is there anyone I could phone/ email i.e. career guidance or something?

Im finding it very difficult to get info on this.

Thanks.
    Smiling_Patty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

according to www.qualifax.ie that course requires either OC3 or HD3 leaving cert maths. I would suggest it would be an awful lot easier to get an OC3 than a HD3.

Anybody passing leaving cert honours maths would expect to get at ordinary level a B1 at the very minimum and in most cases would get an A

Go to www.qualifax.ie and type in 'leaving cert maths'. There are lots of evening courses that start next week for 1 subject for the leaving cert.

Alternatively you could do the leaving cert course yourself in maths as an external student. Maybe get a grind but at about 30 euro an hour that will become expensive.

Have a look at the past papers and answers at www.examinations.ie

This site will also tell you how to apply as an external student.

Did DCU give any specifics about the level you should attain? Surely they don't expect you to be above the entry requirements. Discrimination if ever I heard it if that's the case. :eek:

You didn't specifically mention the leaving cert. Some colleges will allow you to take single modules but it's about 500 euro for a 5 credit module and not what DCU had in mind i'd say.

Be careful you don't jeopardise any grant entitlements next year by attending a course at the same level you are studying next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 smiling_patty

Hi pathway33,

thank you so so much for your reply. I'm thinking about doing a distance learning maths course (probably the HC...) and do the leavin cert tehn...since maths is a requirement for DCU. The ordinary level is sufficient with C3.

Thanks also a lot for the links, they really helped me further. At least I know now that I can do the Irish leavin cert in maths without much hassle.

Thanks again,
    smiling_patty

Advertisement