Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a few things to do in Oz

Options
  • 23-08-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i may be loitering around this forum for a while sorting out my trip from december to June in Oz.

I will be in sydney from middle of december, I plan on doing the bridge climb although I have a problem with heights so that will be good. Also want to go to a show in the opera house maybe for th craic. any other ideas. will be on bondi beach anyways for christmas day.

I am then going to drive down to melbourne and stay there until the start of May and work there. Whats good to do in melbourne? aint checked out much about it as yet. Ive heard its very cultural there.

Then flying up to cairns and getting a camper van and road tripping down the coast to sydney. The plan is to do a day trip on the barrier reef from cairns before hitting the road. any body got some good info or stuff on their experience here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

chris85 wrote: »
    Hey guys i may be loitering around this forum for a while sorting out my trip from december to June in Oz.

I will be in sydney from middle of december, I plan on doing the bridge climb although I have a problem with heights so that will be good. Also want to go to a show in the opera house maybe for th craic. any other ideas. will be on bondi beach anyways for christmas day.

I am then going to drive down to melbourne and stay there until the start of May and work there. Whats good to do in melbourne? aint checked out much about it as yet. Ive heard its very cultural there.

Then flying up to cairns and getting a camper van and road tripping down the coast to sydney. The plan is to do a day trip on the barrier reef from cairns before hitting the road. any body got some good info or stuff on their experience here.

If you are planning on going to bondi beach, make sure you DON'T bring your county jersey ....

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

hussey wrote: »
    If you are planning on going to bondi beach, make sure you DON'T bring your county jersey ....

What's the difference between wearing your county jersey and wearing your team's soccer/rugby jersey? Is it just the GAA jersey you are against? Just wondering..

What's the difference between wearing your county jersey and wearing your team's soccer/rugby jersey? Is it just the GAA jersey you are against? Just wondering..

If you go to bondi beach in the summer, you will know exactly what I mean ;)
    there are thousands of people walking around in their county jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

If you go to bondi beach in the summer, you will know exactly what I mean ;)
    there are thousands of people walking around in their county jerseys.

I've been to bondi beach many times and find nothing wrong with people wearing their county jerseys unless they were actually swimming, in which case they should then remove the jersey.
    I suppose most people may want to wear the thing to hide the beer belly!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Personally I hate seeing people in county jerseys on the beaches over here. If I wanted that I'd be down on Dollymount.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Personally I hate seeing people in county jerseys on the beaches over here. If I wanted that I'd be down on Dollymount.

Lobster red faces + county jerseys + daz white legs = cringe

Time + place for these things. ... Time: sunday 7pm, place: cock and bull for county jersey night

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Coileach not that Hussey n Xavi6 have anything against GAA or anything but I just find doesn't go well on the beach. I guess everyone to their own .

Yeah unfortunately you can spot us Irish a mile away on Bondi but hey we're not blessed with the great weather here in Éire

Anyway Chris

Your a brave man for doing the bridge climb being afarid of heights but with the view at the top its well worth it. The Opera House is good to. Great feeling the first time you stand outside it.
    I am then going to drive down to Melbourne and stay there until the start of May and work there. Whats good to do in melbourne? aint checked out much about it as yet. Ive heard its very cultural there.

I found Melbourne a more laid back relaxed kind of City. Where as Sydney is more get up in go. Have to admit I liked Melbourne more but hey that’s me & I guess I’m a bit byist to Melbourne seeing my wife is from here. You might take a trip in March 26 -29th 2009 for the F1 well worth it.
    Then flying up to cairns and getting a camper van and road tripping down the coast to Sydney. The plan is to do a day trip on the barrier reef from cairns before hitting the road. any body got some good info or stuff on their experience here.

All I can say is the guys at

Travellers-Autobar

Are good for camper vans. But also if you have a few mates together and have a bit of mechanical know-how you can pick up a bargain on a camper van and sell it on when you’re leaving. But take it from me don’t buy a 79 VW painted like a black n White Cow. We lost its gearbox some where outside Sydney.

Anyway hope you have a blast and let us all know at OzEire how you get on.

actually anyone coming to sydney it might be a good idea to sign up for a myer-one card (like a arnotts)
    http://www.sydney.com/DYNAMIC_My_Sydney_Offers_p2890.aspx

as some of the offers are great, e.g. 2 for the price of one on opera house tour/taronga zoo/sydney tower/Sydney Aquarium

that so far is until 30th september, but they usually have special offers year round

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Ozeire wrote: »
    Coileach not that Hussey n Xavi6 have anything against GAA or anything but I just find doesn't go well on the beach. I guess everyone to their own .

Yeah unfortunately you can spot us Irish a mile away on Bondi but hey we're not blessed with the great weather here in Éire

Anyway Chris

Your a brave man for doing the bridge climb being afarid of heights but with the view at the top its well worth it. The Opera House is good to. Great feeling the first time you stand outside it.

I found Melbourne a more laid back relaxed kind of City. Where as Sydney is more get up in go. Have to admit I liked Melbourne more but hey that’s me & I guess I’m a bit byist to Melbourne seeing my wife is from here. You might take a trip in March 26 -29th 2009 for the F1 well worth it.

All I can say is the guys at

Travellers-Autobar

Are good for camper vans. But also if you have a few mates together and have a bit of mechanical know-how you can pick up a bargain on a camper van and sell it on when you’re leaving. But take it from me don’t buy a 79 VW painted like a black n White Cow. We lost its gearbox some where outside Sydney.

Anyway hope you have a blast and let us all know at OzEire how you get on.

Yeah going to try be a brave man for the bridge climb, will be tough but i think it will be worth it.

I think i will like melbourne a lot more as well. It seems a lot more chilled which is what i am after. some nice cultural stuff and all that jazz.

Yeah I dont know much about cars and stuff but enough to get by and hopefully sort anything that goes wrong. I checked out that autobarn crowd and should be renting a car off them to travel down to melbourne, i will see how they are and decide whether to go with them for a camper van later in the journey.

Any body done the barrier reef thing here? It doesnt seem very expensive for a day trip out there so may do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Sydney -> AFL game, Bridge Walk, The Rocks, Opera House, Sydney Tower, Blue Mountains, White Water Rafting, Toranga Zoo, Races on Stephens Day,

Melbourne -> Neighbours night, Neighbours tour, Grand Prix, Great Ocean Road, AFL Game, Pengiuns in St.Kilda, Aquarium,

East Coast (Cairns -> Sydney) -> Great Barrier Reef, Sail the Whitsunday Islands, Frasar Island, Australia Zoo, Surfers Paradise (Theme parks), Byron Bay (Surfing), Nimbin, Magnetic Island, Coffs Harbour.

Anywhere really -> Skydive (that will really sort out your fear of heights).

• Advertisement

Sydney -> AFL game, Bridge Walk, The Rocks, Opera House, Sydney Tower, Blue Mountains, White Water Rafting, Toranga Zoo, Races on Stephens Day,

Melbourne -> Neighbours night, Neighbours tour, Grand Prix, Great Ocean Road, AFL Game, Pengiuns in St.Kilda, Aquarium,

East Coast (Cairns -> Sydney) -> Great Barrier Reef, Sail the Whitsunday Islands, Frasar Island, Australia Zoo, Surfers Paradise (Theme parks), Byron Bay (Surfing), Nimbin, Magnetic Island, Coffs Harbour.

Anywhere really -> Skydive (that will really sort out your fear of heights).

cheers mate, looks like that will give me something to look up and check out before i head there. some good info there

cheers mate, looks like that will give me something to look up and check out before i head there. some good info there

no problem mate if you have any specific questions about them just post them here or pm me. I done most of them. Only one or two I missed.

no problem mate if you have any specific questions about them just post them here or pm me. I done most of them. Only one or two I missed.

do you have much info about the barrier reef. There are loads of people operating day trips out there, trying to figure out who is any good and good value.

Also not a great swimmer so another little thing I wanna get myself sorted on is doing the barrier reef although i can swim a little and will have a life aid on.

Hopefully will get rid of some of my fears although are you kidding about a skydive... no chance unless the missus pushes me out of the plane which i am sure she would gladly do for the laugh :D

do you have much info about the barrier reef. There are loads of people operating day trips out there, trying to figure out who is any good and good value.

Also not a great swimmer so another little thing I wanna get myself sorted on is doing the barrier reef although i can swim a little and will have a life aid on.

Hopefully will get rid of some of my fears although are you kidding about a skydive... no chance unless the missus pushes me out of the plane which i am sure she would gladly do for the laugh :D

There are many many companies who do the barrier reef. I couldn't tell you the name of the boat I was on. Have a look at peterpans.com, or just go into one over there and talk to them they will sort you out with a good one. Also talk to people in the hostels both workers and guests as they probably have done it and could recommend someone. Tell them what you want to do and they will recommend a good one. It's probably true that you get what you pay for, so I would go for a mid range one, rather than going to cheap.

The life aid will do you well but I wouldn't be scared to ask one of the instructors could they keep an eye on you if you went down for a bit. You can see most it from the top but its good to get down amongst it.

As for the skydiving, your missus wouldn't push you out, you will be tied to someone, they will "jump" you out. If you enjoy the bridge walk, and are a half decent flyer you should really think about it.

There are many many companies who do the barrier reef. I couldn't tell you the name of the boat I was on. Have a look at peterpans.com, or just go into one over there and talk to them they will sort you out with a good one. Also talk to people in the hostels both workers and guests as they probably have done it and could recommend someone. Tell them what you want to do and they will recommend a good one. It's probably true that you get what you pay for, so I would go for a mid range one, rather than going to cheap.

The life aid will do you well but I wouldn't be scared to ask one of the instructors could they keep an eye on you if you went down for a bit. You can see most it from the top but its good to get down amongst it.

As for the skydiving, your missus wouldn't push you out, you will be tied to someone, they will "jump" you out. If you enjoy the bridge walk, and are a half decent flyer you should really think about it.

Yeah i am a good flier, might see how the bridge climb goes and may think about a skydive, i know the missus wants to do it but I would be scared senseless.

Yeah i am a good flier, might see how the bridge climb goes and may think about a skydive, i know the missus wants to do it but I would be scared senseless.

I did the bridge climb and was throughly dissappointed, another cheaper option is to climb the http://www.pylonlookout.com.au/ for about $9, can bring cameras and a great cheap option and great views of city

I did the bridge climb and was throughly dissappointed, another cheaper option is to climb the http://www.pylonlookout.com.au/ for about $9, can bring cameras and a great cheap option and great views of city

looks good also, will see how the funds are when im there. Probably just do both anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    So much for "going to different places and seeing new things". Proves my original point really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Húrin wrote: »
    So much for "going to different places and seeing new things". Proves my original point really.

People wearing a shirt from Ireland proves that they aren't going to new places or doing new things? You make a really convincing argument.

Yes, people wearing county jerseys in a different country proves your point :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

2 years ago I saw 2 lads in Cork jerseys pucking about with hurls, on a beach in Portugal. Disproves your point really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

Boy, you've some opinion of yourself.
    I've worn a NSW rugby league shirt while driving a jeep outside Haifa in Israel. How would that hinder my experience of the region or make it the same as where I'm from?

You comment on being in Australia yet have obviously never been there.
    You generalise that it is some homogenous, pro-design western plant where the Pac Ocean meets the Indian Ocean..........yet have obviously never been there.

theres no harm in wearing the county colours, showing we are proud where we are from, do you think aussies walking around dublin with their afl or rugby jerseys looks bad, of course not they are just showing where they are from.

I will have my leinster rugby and dublin gaa jersey on from time to time over there and so be it. I am making the trip over to see new things and meet new people and I like to show where I am from as well as I am proud to be irish.

By the way lads cheers for the tips, they are helping. I must now figure out what I am doing in thailand before i go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

I must now figure out what I am doing in thailand before i go.
    I'd advise you to check out how safe it is to travel there as its very unstable there at the moment.

theres no harm in wearing the county colours

There is when you are from Cark ;)

Advertisement