Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Password box on power-on

• 23-08-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Running Windows XP, SP2, and when I switch it on, I get the logon dialogue box. All I do is hit enter, and it goes (there's no password on the account). As it's a HTPC, I want to get rid of this dialogue box on boot up.

I know there is a simple solution to this, but I am damned if I can find it, but how do I configure Windows so it will log in automatically and not display that dialogue box?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

AFAIK, the TweakUI power toy lets you set up an auto-login. It encrypts your password as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

you can fiddle about with the user accounts setting in the control panel, but I think it'll only log in if there's only one account on the computer. As ethernet said, tweakUI will let you do an auto login.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Go to Control Panel-->User Accounts
    Click 'Change the way users log on or off'.
    Tick 'Use welcome screen' and 'Fast user switching'.
    Click Apply actions and reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Go to Control Panel-->User Accounts
    Click 'Change the way users log on or off'.
    Tick 'Use welcome screen' and 'Fast user switching'.
    Click Apply actions and reboot.

Hmmm, I just tried that and while I don't get the logon box, I get the Welcome screen and have to click on my name to log in.

I am nearly certain on my last htpc that I didn't have to download powertoys to achieve this.

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    you can fiddle about with the user accounts setting in the control panel, but I think it'll only log in if there's only one account on the computer. As ethernet said, tweakUI will let you do an auto login.

I think that's the problem - there's my account, the Guest account and an ASP.net account (don't know how that got there).

I'll download TweakUI now and see how I get on.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Webmonkey wrote: »

Thanks for that. Not sure why I didn't stumble across it when I Googled it. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I put in the keyword registry with it as I knew you could do it from there. First result :)

Advertisement