Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS on iPhone ?

Options
  • 23-08-2008 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Any users of iPhone out there who can advise on how well the GPS function works ?
    I am interested in upgrading my phone and also getting a GPS system.
    I am wondering if I should kill 2 birds etc. and get the iPhone ....or is it just a toy that Apple have added to the phone that is not really up to scratch.
    Marks out of 10 for the iPhone GPS function please.....

Poirot.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

The GPS on the iphone is not a SATNAV system. It will not give you spoken turn by turn instructions. It works in conjunction with Google maps and will give you a route and written turn by turn instructions.

Rumour is that TomTom are working on a SATNAV app for the iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Poirot wrote: »
    Any users of iPhone out there who can advise on how well the GPS function works ?
    I am interested in upgrading my phone and also getting a GPS system.
    I am wondering if I should kill 2 birds etc. and get the iPhone ....or is it just a toy that Apple have added to the phone that is not really up to scratch.
    Marks out of 10 for the iPhone GPS function please.....

Poirot.:confused:

The Maps function on iPhone works well, but it's not a full blown SATNAV system, or does it call itself one. I have a TomTom SN for about two years and the maps on this are much better than Google Maps on the iPhone. It depends really how functional you want your SN / iPhone to be, but if you have never owned a SN then the iPhone gives you a solid starting block. It's very easy to go out and spend over €200 on a SN these days and for the same money you are getting a lot more functionality with an iPhone (albeit with an 18 month contract).

One word of warning though, the Maps are not stored on your iPhone, but are downloaded as you move along. Not a big deal when you are on your home network here, but likely to cost a small fortune if roaming abroad. I'd probably recommend the iPhone for Ireland only, but if you are likely to be abroad, then invest in a SN

Advertisement