Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to set up wireless internet without getting ntl technician?

Options
  • 23-08-2008 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I have NTL broadband or UPC as they're now known on my desktop pc, have just bought a laptop. Went onto Sherwood's to buy a wireless router and was told if I have NTL broadband I'd have to get one of the engineers to come and set it up. This surprised me as I assumed it would be fairly straight forward.
    I was told in Pc World the Netgear wgt624 108mps router would be fine to install. I have been with ntl broadband nearly three years and it's a cable modem model EO8C007. Is it not possible to set this up myself:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes you can set it up. You just need a cable router.

Moved from Laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Thank you! I presume the Netgear wgt624 is the correct router so.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

You should be able to get a wireless router (like Linksys WRT54G) online for about €40.
    Regardless of the router you get, it will take a bit of knowledge to set it up - if you google "access point" and the router's model name you should get the info you need.

Advertisement