Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

golf vw alternator overcharging, damage

Options
  • 23-08-2008 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

was happily driving along today when the ABS, and ESP started to flash I pulled over and turned off the engine. I was going to check to the brake fluid level. When I tried to turn the engine back on it would not even turn over. I called a mechanic and he jumped started it, however when he checked the current to the battery it was doulble the normal and now I had three warning lights on the dash, airbags ABS, and ESP. Thought it better to tow it house, only to find the tow ring did not screw into the front of the car, too large. So eventually got the car house. Start off need to fix the alternator and change the battery, do you think I have damaged the electic's? and if so what type of money to repair would I be looking at.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Damage is possible, but I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Get the alternator replaced and have the battery tested as it may have been damaged. Once the new alternator has been fitted check all your bulbs - some may have blown due to the higher voltage from the dodgy alternator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭kyote00

check that any fuses haven't blown....normally the fuse box should protect many of the systems from 'over current' ---- otherwise the car could go up in flames very quickly....
    crosstownk wrote: »
    Damage is possible, but I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Get the alternator replaced and have the battery tested as it may have been damaged. Once the new alternator has been fitted check all your bulbs - some may have blown due to the higher voltage from the dodgy alternator.

Advertisement